U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2009, 01:25 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,606,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
My doctor says that caffeine is the best thing for a migraine and that the migraine medications are all caffeine-based. I only get a migraine every few years, and I have the nausea, vomiting, need to be in a dark room with no lights, etc.; but I drink a McDonald's coke and it works for me. I have the greatest sympathy for those who are plagued with migraines.
I'm not a doctor, but I wonder if the caffeine is there because the vast majority of people are addicted to caffeine, yet it doesn't always cross their minds to take some if they have a headache.

I mean, a friend of mine quit caffeine and smoking (different times) and he said he had a harder time with caffeine - not to mention it is much harder to avoid (both in foods/drink and being socially acceptable).
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 08:03 PM

6,313 posts, read 12,193,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
My doctor says that caffeine is the best thing for a migraine and that the migraine medications are all caffeine-based. I only get a migraine every few years, and I have the nausea, vomiting, need to be in a dark room with no lights, etc.; but I drink a McDonald's coke and it works for me. I have the greatest sympathy for those who are plagued with migraines.
So right, I had Migraines as a child, I get headaches now only (I have a sinus headache now because of a cold I have now). The migraine meds and some over the counter meds have caffeine in them to help the migraine/headache. Not sure why, they have had them since I started with Imitrex (migrain med). But a pepsi can help some if you don't have a pill around. There are many reasons he could being get headaches/migraines, and it can be anything from the foods he is eating, hormones, heat, some people its the changing weather. Chocolate and bananas are big no nos for instance for migraine/headache suffers. The best thing is for him to see a doctor.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:57 PM

3,225 posts, read 3,882,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
So right, I had Migraines as a child, I get headaches now only (I have a sinus headache now because of a cold I have now). The migraine meds and some over the counter meds have caffeine in them to help the migraine/headache. Not sure why, they have had them since I started with Imitrex (migrain med). But a pepsi can help some if you don't have a pill around. There are many reasons he could being get headaches/migraines, and it can be anything from the foods he is eating, hormones, heat, some people its the changing weather. Chocolate and bananas are big no nos for instance for migraine/headache suffers. The best thing is for him to see a doctor.
I get terrible migraines when the weather changes-especially when summer rolls around and the humidity levels rise (it gets terrible here in MI). Other major triggers for me are hormones, stress (especially anger), lack of sleep, and skipping meals. A cold soda helps me as well but I'm a total Coca-Cola addict!

I've personally never had a problem with bananas (don't know about chocolate because I don't like it), but two things that give me an instant headache are coffee and a heavily processed/salted meat, like pepperoni or bologna.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 AM

15 posts, read 29,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthInRecovery View Post
Caffeine and sugar. Addictive. Like everyone else said. If he wants a healthy alternative, I have lots of people successfully wean off coffee or caffeinated soda with grean tea. It's got about a third the caffeine of coffee but prevents the withdrawl headaches plus it also has health benefits since it's an antioxidant. Not to mention that anything carbonated can deplete your body of calcium.
Yeah, the problem is motivating him to do so.
I, personally, drink nothing but water and green tea. My boyfriend doesn't even like green tea, though and he HATES drinking water. He says water does not quench his thirst.
Obviously, I am not happy with his eating/drinking habits but he doesn't have a problem with eating or drinking unhealthy things.
So, trying to convince him to replace a glass of Pepsi with a glass of water a couple times a day is like trying to pull teeth.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 AM

1,149 posts, read 2,606,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wow009 View Post
Yeah, the problem is motivating him to do so.
I, personally, drink nothing but water and green tea. My boyfriend doesn't even like green tea, though and he HATES drinking water. He says water does not quench his thirst.
Obviously, I am not happy with his eating/drinking habits but he doesn't have a problem with eating or drinking unhealthy things.
So, trying to convince him to replace a glass of Pepsi with a glass of water a couple times a day is like trying to pull teeth.
Something I did to help adjust to drinking water instead of soda was buy one of those Pur (I think) water carafes that had a little "flavor" cartridge that you could squirt into every glass, to taste - had no caffeine, and seemed healthy when I looked at it. My husband just switched to drinking seltzer (he needs the bubbles) and puts a little bit of lemon juice in it.

As an added incentive - you cannot IMAGINE how awake and rejuvinated you feel when you stop drinking caffeine, if you were drinking a lot previously. I have never slept better in my life than I do now - real, deep sleep - and am fully awake during the day. My energy is so much better these days!

Old 06-05-2009, 12:59 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,226,732 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wow009 View Post
My boyfriend gets horrible headaches, randomly.
He says it's happened ever since he was very young. He is now 18, almost 19.
Usually all that can make it go away is a shower and some tylenol..
sometimes that doesn't even help.
He claims that it usually happens when he doesn't drink Pepsi and that drinking Pepsi is the best cure for his headaches.
I think he's crazy.
What do you think?

That he see a good Neurologist/ Allergist for testing;
It is most times always linked to allergies, and it can be something as simple as
dust mites, animal dander, mildew mold, laundry detergent, perfumes, foods.
my daughter drinks Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew , tried every medicine that has come out, I still believe it is allergy related, without an allergist it can take years to nail it down
a neuro doctor will at least be able to rule out any serious problems, I'd start there first and get some MRI's and work from there to prevent possible suffering needlessly, (even though sinus headaches are not fun either)

Old 06-05-2009, 03:08 PM

17 posts, read 20,061 times
One thing that has not been mentioned is HFCS. I found it to be the root cause of my own migraine headaches.....

I started getting migraines about two years ago in a seemingly random fashion. So, after the third migraine (complete with nausea, the shakes and sweating), I started keeping a food diary. I fasted for a day (A Saturday) drinking only water just to start off fresh and Sunday morning began keeping track of EVERYTHING I consumed, even if it was ONE single peanut.After a few weeks I noticed that any time I drank more than 2-3oz of soda (I used to drink Pepsi as opposed to Coca cola), almost exactly 48 hours after drinking the soda I would begin to get a major migraine. The more soda I had consumed the worse the migraine got.

At first, I thought it was a caffeine-withdrawal headache because I am a coffee drinker, but I have gone for weeks without coffee and never had that type of headache before. Caffeine withdrawal for me is a dull throbbing in my temples, nothing more. The migraines I would get after having soda would feel like someone clamped a vice down on the back portion of my skull and SQUEEZED as if they were trying to squeeze my brain matter out of my nose! It was debilitating to say the least.

Through trial and error, I started a food/drink elimination 'diet' where after I initially fasted for 24 hours, I ate one thing at a time to see if I had any reaction to it. Instead of drinking soda though, I ate a candy bar that had HFCS in it as the second ingredient. Well, 48 hours later BAM massive migraine!!! I tried it with Pepsi a few days later and got the same result. A few months later, I had a glass of Pepsi while out to dinner in a restaurant and jotted down the time just to see what would happen and BAM 48 hours later, massive migraine.

I went to my doctor with this information and he told me that either I had a corn allergy (which I do not, I have been tested) or it was my body's way of detoxifying itself from the HFCS since I do not usually consume HFCS in ANY of my food. I eat organic, unprocessed food with little to no preservatives 90% of the time and avoid HFCS about 98% of the time...so when I do ingest a certain amount it...it gives me a migraine on the way out!

So, perhaps he is sensitive to HFCS? It's worth checking it out by asking him to eat something high in HFCS and seeing if he gets a migraine a day or two later, same as with the soda....good luck!

Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 AM

8,424 posts, read 22,834,024 times
I would play with it too. just to see if it is the sugars or the caffeine. Have him try a black coffee iced.
8oz. and just chug it like medicine. I am guessing he will not like the taste because of how you say he is. But it might make the headache better faster. I think black coffee works worlds better for caffeine headaches or migraines. But on the flip side I have had some where caffeine was a bad thing. Those were ones that usually made my stomach just feel queasy along with the headache. But really nothing worked for those at all. I ended up detoxing and cleaning up my diet to get rid of them forever. I would not bother with a detox since he is so young and still growing. But a diet clean up couldn't hurt...And yeh..I know...IT ISN'T EASY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness