U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 28,393 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew how much exposure to secondhand smoke will effect your health? I was frequently subjected to it growing up because my parents were constantly smoking inside our house. I have never smoked a cigarette but much of my life has been surrounded by people who do smoke. I am 23 year old female. My health, for now, seems to be uneffected by the smoke.

But what I was really wondering was what this would do for my skin. Do you think that by my living conditions as a child, I will wrinkle and sag terribly? I just started a skin care regime. But I was just curious how long and how much exposure does it take of cigarette smoke before it effects your skin?

It is not that I can't stand the look of wrinkles or anything, but when something other than the natural aging process contributes to it that you are doing or that someone else is doing and out of your control, it causes a concern and I wonder whether I should be on a more intense skin therapy or treatment.

Thank you SOOO much in advance to anyone who will attempt to answer my question,

Gracily
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,494,629 times
Your skin should be the last thing you should be concerned with being affected by second hand smoke. An astounding number of people die each year supposedly as a result of second hand smoke by getting lung cancer. If you care about your general health, stay away from smokers when they are smoking. I hate being near smokers even when they aren't smoking near me just for the fact that for the most part smokers reek to high heaven.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:13 PM
ttz

679 posts, read 1,460,941 times
You have nothing to worry about in regards to your skin or wrinkles! As long as you continue to not smoke and subject yourself to a lot of second hand smoke. You are very young and your skin has not really been affected if any to this problem.

Your lungs are another story. You are at a higer risk of getting lung cancer than someone who grew up with no second hand smoke at all. But do not worry yourself, for as long as you continue to refrain from the toxin smoke, you should be fine. The human body is amazing at repairing itself. Even smokers who quit have much better chances of avoiding cancers, though they do not eliminate it completely, even from stayinq quit for decades...

Old 06-17-2009, 04:28 PM

28 posts, read 45,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracily View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew how much exposure to secondhand smoke will effect your health? I was frequently subjected to it growing up because my parents were constantly smoking inside our house. I have never smoked a cigarette but much of my life has been surrounded by people who do smoke. I am 23 year old female. My health, for now, seems to be uneffected by the smoke.

But what I was really wondering was what this would do for my skin. Do you think that by my living conditions as a child, I will wrinkle and sag terribly? I just started a skin care regime. But I was just curious how long and how much exposure does it take of cigarette smoke before it effects your skin?

It is not that I can't stand the look of wrinkles or anything, but when something other than the natural aging process contributes to it that you are doing or that someone else is doing and out of your control, it causes a concern and I wonder whether I should be on a more intense skin therapy or treatment.

Thank you SOOO much in advance to anyone who will attempt to answer my question,

Gracily
The physical act of smoking a cigarette which must be absorbed in the bloodstream through the lungs in combination with the physical act of inhaling cigarette smoke in order to have any negative effect.

It is the act of putting a cigarette to your lips and inhaling the smoke which distributes the toxins through your bloodstream.

Being in a room filled with smoke is not going to have any affect on your skin otherwise. If you work in a barbecue restaurant you'll leave every day smelling like hickory and mesquite - those odors aren't going to have any transdermal affect (cannot be absorbed into your skin cannot cross the top layer of skin - the epidermis) on your skin because smoke can't permeate the translipid layers (pass from epidermis to the bottom fatty layers) of your skin so don't worry about it having an aging affect.

Secondhand smoke is a nuisance for those with asthma as well, but so is pet dander and pollen and dust, otherwise it's really not that huge of a risk.

Also, there's a genetic component to wrinkling. Check out pics of your mother at your age, and see how she aged over the years, chances are that's how you're going to age as well. Plus you're only 23 years old, you'd be better advised to stay away from alcohol - NOTHING will age you faster than drinking alcohol. I would also recommend wearing a sunblock cream on your face whenever you plan to have any sun exposure. No drinking, and wear the sunblock. You can hold back the hands of time for only so long, it will happen eventually.

Last edited by alwaysbombed; 06-17-2009 at 04:41 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 04:30 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,968,549 times
I've posted alot of clinical research over the last 2 1/2 years i've been a member at City Data about Broccoli having a powerful effect in preventing Lung Cancer and COPD.

Here's a few if interested.
Broccoli May Lower Lung Cancer Risk In Smokers - Science Daily
Broccoli Compound Targets Key Enzyme In Late-stage Cancer - Science Daily
Naturally Occurring Compounds Selectively Deplete Mutant P53 In Tumor Cells - Science Daily

Old 06-17-2009, 04:30 PM

23 posts, read 52,695 times
I can tell you any amount of smoke is too much. But on the bright side, your skin and your lungs are constantly rejuvenating. On the down side, people have died from second hand smoke, but only after a life time of exposure. Stay clear of smokers wherever you can. You'll be find.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 28,393 times
Amazing and thorough responses guys! I am very honored that you guys took the time to answer my question. Thanks a bunch <3

Old 06-17-2009, 08:03 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,139,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbombed View Post
The physical act of smoking a cigarette which must be absorbed in the bloodstream through the lungs in combination with the physical act of inhaling cigarette smoke in order to have any negative effect.

It is the act of putting a cigarette to your lips and inhaling the smoke which distributes the toxins through your bloodstream.

Being in a room filled with smoke is not going to have any affect on your skin otherwise. If you work in a barbecue restaurant you'll leave every day smelling like hickory and mesquite - those odors aren't going to have any transdermal affect (cannot be absorbed into your skin cannot cross the top layer of skin - the epidermis) on your skin because smoke can't permeate the translipid layers (pass from epidermis to the bottom fatty layers) of your skin so don't worry about it having an aging affect.

Secondhand smoke is a nuisance for those with asthma as well, but so is pet dander and pollen and dust, otherwise it's really not that huge of a risk.

Also, there's a genetic component to wrinkling. Check out pics of your mother at your age, and see how she aged over the years, chances are that's how you're going to age as well. Plus you're only 23 years old, you'd be better advised to stay away from alcohol - NOTHING will age you faster than drinking alcohol. I would also recommend wearing a sunblock cream on your face whenever you plan to have any sun exposure. No drinking, and wear the sunblock. You can hold back the hands of time for only so long, it will happen eventually.
Amazingly GREAT info! Please continue to post!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,047,541 times
I think second hand smoke played a major role in my brothers death. He was married to a chain smoker for 30 years. His cancer developed under his arm. Five weeks after he was told he had no cancer cells in his body and no cancer markers in his blood he died. They found cancer in his lungs and then in his brain. He opted for no more experimental treatment. Dad died of a fast growing metastatic cancer too. Dad was 87, my brother was 67.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:17 PM

23 posts, read 52,695 times
I came back to this because I saw another post on second hand smoke claiming, "Scientific Evidence" "According to research" etc. etc. Second hand Smoke was not harmful. That I tell you is a LIE.
Something I learned a long time ago; If you ask enough people, eventually you will get the answer you're looking for.
If you want to know the truth get your information from a legitimate authority, like the American Lung Association. Not some third party unheard of research institute funded by subsidiaries of Tobacco Companies.

Read this: Secondhand Smoke Fact Sheet - American Lung Association site (http://www.lungusa.org/site/c.dvLUK9O0E/b.35422/k.7D0B/Secondhand_Smoke_Fact_Sheet.htm - broken link)

I can tell you second hand smoke is deadly. My mother died from lung cancer at 41 years of age. She was a smoker. Her sister died of lung cancer at 66 years of age. She never smoked. But her son did and her husband did. Fact: my aunt died of cancer becasue she was exposed to second hand smoke her whole life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness