U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM

502 posts, read 1,104,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Post spinal tap headache is due not so much to the amount of fluid removed as it is to whether the fluid continues to leak out through the hole made in the dura (the sac containing the spinal fluid), by the needle. If the headache is severe and does not quickly resolve, the blood patch can be done; a small amount of the patient's own blood is placed in the space outside the dura to close the hole. The blood clots and essentially forms a small plug in the hole, almost like an internal scab. The hole seals and the leak stops. The blood is reabsorbed by the body. Although the needle used looks wicked, that is because of its length. The diameter is very small, in order to leave a smaller hole in the dura.
Sorry...should have clarified what an post-LP headache is/how it occurs. I had a nut of a nurse who stated that I could not have a post-LP leak because the fluid was not leaking down my gown. This was in a neuro unit.

Quote:
This can be difficult to do if you get anxious and agitated. If you know that procedures make you nervous, ask for something to help you relax.
Asking for something to ease anxiety beforehand is an excellent suggestion.

Quote:
There is an anesthetic cream called Emla, that can be placed on the skin to numb it. This frequently means you won't feel even the needle prick for the local anesthetic for the deeper tissues.
Another great suggestion! I never thought to ask for a numbing "agent."

Quote:
The person doing the procedure needs to be patient and allow the anesthetic time to work. Do not be afraid to ask how experienced the practitioner is, and after two or three attempts with no success, ask if someone else could give it a try. And bless those who are willing to give a novice the chance to learn. That is the only way we will get new doctors trained. Inanimate models are great for practicing, but there has to be the first live patient for everyone.
My LP was done at a teaching hospital and the physician actually answered his cell phone (his son) during the procedure. How unsanitary! I asked his resident to finish and he did a wonderful job!

I'm sure it will go smoothly as this is such a common procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 08:26 AM

7 posts, read 30,174 times
Thank you for all your information. I am 5'6" and weight 130, so hopefully it will not be too bad. I know they are taking four tubes of spinal fluid for the MS testing before the dye is injected for the myelograms--each tube is to contain about 5 cc's of spinal fluid--then they are going to inject the dye for the myelograms. I don't know how much spinal fluid is usually taken for just the myelogram. I am grateful for all of the support and information. I will post again after my procedures, probably Wednesday.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 AM

Default myelogram

Well, its over!! It was one of the easiest procedures I have had done. I didn't even feel it when I was numbed and I had no pressures sensation. They had to take 20 cc's of spinal fluid for MS testing and then did the thoracic and cervical myelograms. I had no headache, pain or discomfort during or after the procedure. I guess I was just blessed. Now comes the waiting game for the results.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,316,582 times
Default I had one

when i was 27 i had facial paralysis and had to have the tap to rule out meningitis

the anesthetic didn't seem to work because i was so hyper anxious, there was a lot of pressure, i was breathing heavy to kind of block out any pain and there wasn't that much

after i was congragulated on my persistence and bravery it made me feel great

laid down for the night in the hospital--no problems with headache

Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 PM

22,960 posts, read 27,775,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemom101577 View Post
Well, its over!! It was one of the easiest procedures I have had done. I didn't even feel it when I was numbed and I had no pressures sensation. They had to take 20 cc's of spinal fluid for MS testing and then did the thoracic and cervical myelograms. I had no headache, pain or discomfort during or after the procedure. I guess I was just blessed. Now comes the waiting game for the results.

Glad you had a good experience. Hope the results are completely normal.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:03 AM

The myelogram results were normal, but the CSF studies were indicative of Multiple Sclerosis. Now I am just waiting for the neurologist to decide on the best treatment for me.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:25 AM

22,960 posts, read 27,775,427 times
Quote:
The myelogram results were normal, but the CSF studies were indicative of Multiple Sclerosis. Now I am just waiting for the neurologist to decide on the best treatment for me.

So sorry to hear about the MS. Keep your chin up; there is treatment available.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:35 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,631,122 times
Quote:
I was diagnosed with MS just about 2 years ago. I am sorry you are going through this. I was put on Avonex and have been taking it since just after the diagnosis. Good news is that I have not had another flare up since I started the meds. I am not sure what meds you are thinking of but if you have any questions about Avonex or anything please feel free to ask.

It is a trippy illness. One of my issues is that since I am stable now, many don't take my illness seriously and seem as though they don't believe the meds affect me like they do. The side effects for me are pretty uncomfortable. They have gotten better over the 2 years but still make me unable to do much the next day.

My new neighbor has had it since she was 21 and she is in her 40's. I am looking forward to talking to her since she has had it for so long. It will be nice to have someone who COMPLETELY 'gets' the illness.

disclaimer: I am not super nosey with my neighbors. I used to work with her husband.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,865 times
I've just had one done yesterday, was not that painful, then was told to lay down for two hours, then still nothing but when they let me go to go home thats when the pain started in my lower back, and my legs could barely walk, but today is a little better. Just wanted to know if anyone could tell me how long does the pain last, will it stop or would i have it for awhile off and on?

Old 03-15-2011, 12:51 PM

1,954 posts, read 5,877,022 times
I thought MS was best diagnosed thru blood tests and MRI's then so a spinal tap?

Last edited by Positiveone; 03-15-2011 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness