U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:43 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,308,149 times

Advertisements

I've seen tons of these done where the patient has no immediate pain from the puncture itself, but the headache afterwards from low intracranial pressure can be very annoying. Sometimes caffeine and laying down (head low) makes it better. Should go away in a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,052 times
I had a lumbar puncture yesterday, and it did not hurt. The required curled up position was uncomfortable, but I repeat: it did not hurt. I did have a headache all day, but I was told to take aspirin, to not bend over to pick up something off the floor, but otherwise to just do whatever I wanted. So I had lunch at Whole Foods, shopped a bit, messed around at home, then went out for a nice dinner with my husband. I'm 77 years old, so age does not matter. I think the headache is gone this morning. Relax. This sounds scary, but it's no worse than getting a tooth filled.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 791 times
Sorry to bump this thread everyone, but when I just had my spinal tap I felt obligated to explain my situation since reading all these reviews really relaxed my mind and gave me a whole lot of knowledge and put me at ease.

I just had a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) and just want to corraborate what everyone else here said. The process took about 15 minutes (5 for cleaning my back and sterilization, 7 for the spinal fluid to collect and 3 for the local anesthetic/insertion of needle). Its scary to think of a long needle penetrating your body, but the process was relatively painless, (double the pain for a tetanus shot) so not bad at all. The local anesthetic hurt the most, the initial prick and then the release of the anesthetic. For a guy scared of needles and very pain sensitive it is more than manageable. Just a simple wince and deep breath and it was over. Then after waiting, the doctor inserted the needle, it felt like he was just pushing my back. We waited for the CSF to collect then he immediately pulled it out painlessly. The doc and nurse joked about who hurt me most (taking blood or the spinal tap) so that should give you a relative idea of the pain level.

At the end of the day, it was nowwhere near as scary I as thought (granted I'm 5'10, 150lbs). If you are reading this and can feel your spine when you bend your back in the fetal position, you will be fine!! Even if you cant you still should be, but I have no experience on being heavy. Good luck to whoever reads this!

edit: Its been almost 24 hours and no headache. Just a little discomfort at the area and light dizziness if I get up too quickly.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:47 PM

22,960 posts, read 27,775,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prao893 View Post
Sorry to bump this thread everyone, but when I just had my spinal tap I felt obligated to explain my situation since reading all these reviews really relaxed my mind and gave me a whole lot of knowledge and put me at ease.

I just had a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) and just want to corraborate what everyone else here said. The process took about 15 minutes (5 for cleaning my back and sterilization, 7 for the spinal fluid to collect and 3 for the local anesthetic/insertion of needle). Its scary to think of a long needle penetrating your body, but the process was relatively painless, (double the pain for a tetanus shot) so not bad at all. The local anesthetic hurt the most, the initial prick and then the release of the anesthetic. For a guy scared of needles and very pain sensitive it is more than manageable. Just a simple wince and deep breath and it was over. Then after waiting, the doctor inserted the needle, it felt like he was just pushing my back. We waited for the CSF to collect then he immediately pulled it out painlessly. The doc and nurse joked about who hurt me most (taking blood or the spinal tap) so that should give you a relative idea of the pain level.

At the end of the day, it was nowwhere near as scary I as thought (granted I'm 5'10, 150lbs). If you are reading this and can feel your spine when you bend your back in the fetal position, you will be fine!! Even if you cant you still should be, but I have no experience on being heavy. Good luck to whoever reads this!

edit: Its been almost 24 hours and no headache. Just a little discomfort at the area and light dizziness if I get up too quickly.
Thanks for sharing, and I hope your test results all come back completely normal!

Old Today, 08:49 PM
Status: "NO Biden!; (or any other Democrat)" (set 16 days ago)

12,163 posts, read 7,351,936 times
I recently underwent my first lumbar puncture at the age of 69, and will admit that some bad experiences sixty years previously left me more than a little reluctant.

But the whole thing turned into a "piece of cake"; details linked below:

ONE SMALL BIT OF FRIENDLY ADVICE TO THE MEDICAL PROFESSION: Some of us have been able to avoid the "rougher" side of medical procedures for a long time, but the memories can linger. So when scheduling a test or treatment that has been made easier and a lot less painful, please be sure that this is fully explained to someone "my age", and not by a Pollyanna-type barely into her twenties.

Was your spinal tap helpful ?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; Today at 08:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness