U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:34 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,691,970 times
Default If you had a breast reduction.. please give advice

HI there,

I had a breast reduction on June 3rd.. everything went great and a week later I was feeling super. The doctor used dissolvable stitching except for the nipple area. I was healing great, until I started to open up at the T intersection under my breast. I have been keeping all my follow ups, and the doctor says it looks fine. I have had his nurses, and other doctors tell me that this happens in about 50% of the patients. I have been keeping it clean, covered and am using the prescribed ointment. However, it is painful and I have a sore the size of a large nickel in my breast. It appears to be deep, but the doctors said it was very superficial. I was told the risk of infection was slim, and of course, it became infected and I was put on antibiotics. I am now on my fourth week of recovery with 5 more until this horrible wound heals. I can only wear soft bras and can't go to the beach! I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem or if you can offer any suggestions for pain relief or home remedies that are helpful in healing.. The doctor did a meticulous and awesome job and I hardly have any scars already.. he came highly recommended too. I just wanted some reassurance or advice from others..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 05:48 AM

5,306 posts, read 5,471,470 times
Unfortunately I have not had one but read your post with interest because I am thinking about it.
I'm sorry for the trouble you are having. Do you think it will heal soon with no further problems? Will you have more scarring or other visible problems?
I'm wondering, was this outpatient and do you think that had any impact on the success of your outcome?
How is your work taking your longer recovery time? It would be hard to be off work that long.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,691,970 times
It was done outpatient and even with the given problem, I would do it all over again. I did have an allergic reaction to my interior stitches which didn't help my situation. Even with that, I was healed after a week and really felt great until my stitches split at the intersection. I have about 5 weeks to heal on that, so no, Im not too happy with that. However, they did say that it is superficial and happens sometimes since it's such a high tension area. I also have very sensitive skin which is causing some slow healing..

Since Im a teacher, I planned it for the day after school got out so I would have plenty of time to heal. Too bad it put a damper on my summer. However, I have great boobies now!!
Quite honestly, it was so worth it-- I LIVE for my summers and even if this ruins my entire summer (lets pray it doesnt) I would do it again..

Old 06-22-2009, 12:59 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,451,095 times
Years ago, a roommate had a breast reduction and had the same issues. Freaked me out. They put her on antibiotics and she healed just fine.

Her only complaint about the surgery is that they didn't reduce them even more. She had back problems and her life significantly improved.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:01 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,763,577 times
I had the same procedure and this does not seem normal to me. I suppose if it has happened to others, it is, but it did not happen to me.

I think if I were you, I would pursue the situation with your surgeon.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 11,728 times
I am having my reduction on Monday and really frightened and not sure how long to expect before returning to work I am a Dry cleaners so my work is physical

Old 03-15-2010, 03:08 PM

3,695 posts, read 7,489,482 times
Your plastic surgeon should have some answers to reassure you and can prob. even give you a reference or 2 from a former patient, probably it will vary some depending on age etc but I would start by asking him. Sometimes it helps to take another person to the appointment b/c they may pick up on something different or something additional that you may have missed etc. Even the receptionist (sometimes they're nurses) may be able to give you some answers. Am surprised this wasnt touched on at your exam/consulation. No idea when you'll be able to return to work but prob. not before you're feeling better, again call your PS, Monday is right around the corner. Am sure all will go well, best of luck.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 11,220 times
i am 5 weeks post op and i have had about 10 stiches popping out. the one on my right was worst first a pea size hole appeared now i have a hole about 5 cmswide 3 cms deep just under the nipple it leaks yellow puss . i have just had 6 more stiches trimmed today no one ever says about being allergic to the stiches before surgery but looking at these posts it seems a regular occurance. my surgeon says to keep positive and dont stress as this will help you heal quicker but sometimes it isnt easy when you have a gaping hole that you didnt expect.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 18,716 times
I had a breast reduction Sept. 2 2011. About a week after my surgery I started to bust the stiches open, so surgeon decided to cut those out. Instead of putting more stiches in he sent me home. The next day when I had went back I had a wound larger than my hand on my right breast. Still trying to heal from it, and got MRSA in it. Also a wound the size of a fifty cent piece on left. Still very painful, and more so when being cleaned.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 9,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
HI there,

I had a breast reduction on June 3rd.. everything went great and a week later I was feeling super. The doctor used dissolvable stitching except for the nipple area. I was healing great, until I started to open up at the T intersection under my breast. I have been keeping all my follow ups, and the doctor says it looks fine. I have had his nurses, and other doctors tell me that this happens in about 50% of the patients. I have been keeping it clean, covered and am using the prescribed ointment. However, it is painful and I have a sore the size of a large nickel in my breast. It appears to be deep, but the doctors said it was very superficial. I was told the risk of infection was slim, and of course, it became infected and I was put on antibiotics. I am now on my fourth week of recovery with 5 more until this horrible wound heals. I can only wear soft bras and can't go to the beach! I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem or if you can offer any suggestions for pain relief or home remedies that are helpful in healing.. The doctor did a meticulous and awesome job and I hardly have any scars already.. he came highly recommended too. I just wanted some reassurance or advice from others..
I am so sorry to hear that your are going through something similar to me. Three weeks post op I all of the sudden had these holes on the underside of both breasts. I keep going in to see my PS who is the head of the department at a major university and he assures me that this is all completely normal and that I am just going to take longer to heal, but that it should all heal up fine. He told me it could take 6 months to a year for my scars to fully smooth out and become thin, light colored lines. I was doing great, everything was closed up and seemed to be going good and then today I have another open spot that looks like a blister that popped. No sutured or anything are sticking out of it so I put a piece a gauze on it and taped it up. I hope this one stays small and heals fast because I am sick of having holes in my boobs!! My PS has no complaints and has done this probably as long as I've been around so I trust his advise. I just seems ridiculous to hear someone tell you it looks fine when you have holes everywhere. What he tells me to do works, I just don't understand why it repeatedly keeps happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness