U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:58 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,162,358 times

Advertisements

There are so many books out there on PERImenopause but I haven't had as much luck with actual menopause - as in - what happens when?
They say technically your are "in" menopause when its been a year since your last period. Then the information seems to stop.

So what happens after you are "in" menopause? Is this when the hot flashes usually hit? The vaginal dryness?

I just read a short newspaper article that was talking about HRT and the whole take it early on recommendation. It said - previously (1960s?70s?not sure when they meant) women on average started HRT at 63.
I freaked!
Why so late? I was sort of hoping that if I made to "in" menopause then I was sort of in the clear. I've got the big stomach now (never had one before) had the weepiness (still do some) memory loss and not sleeping well at all. I thought what my personal symptoms were when I came out the other side would be it. In other words if I hadnt had hot flashes (had warm flashes during peri) or vaginal dryness, I wouldn't be getting those.

Yes or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 07:08 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,104,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
There are so many books out there on PERImenopause but I haven't had as much luck with actual menopause - as in - what happens when? They say technically your are "in" menopause when its been a year since your last period. Then the information seems to stop. So what happens after you are "in" menopause? Is this when the hot flashes usually hit? The vaginal dryness? I just read a short newspaper article that was talking about HRT and the whole take it early on recommendation. It said - previously (1960s?70s?not sure when they meant) women on average started HRT at 63. I freaked!
Why so late? I was sort of hoping that if I made to "in" menopause then I was sort of in the clear. I've got the big stomach now (never had one before) had the weepiness (still do some) memory loss and not sleeping well at all. I thought what my personal symptoms were when I came out the other side would be it. In other words if I hadnt had hot flashes (had warm flashes during peri) or vaginal dryness, I wouldn't be getting those.
Yes or no?
I am 61 and well past meanopause (notice the first four letters of meanopause spell MEAN? little humor there). Everyone goes through meanopause at a different time, different rate and with different symptoms at different times because we as women are all DIFFERENT. I was tossed into meanopause all at once due to a complete hystorectomy at age 43. It was quite a time for me. I didn't have hot flashes, didn't gain any weight, had no vaginal dryness..but I did have an issue with paranoia. Mentally it was not good for me. Physically it was absolutely the best thing ever. To not have a period any longer for me was a true blessing in disguise.

You may never get any more than a "warm flash" and you may never have a hot flash...I never did and am thankful for that. I was on hormone replacement therapy for about 10 years and once all the hub-bub started over the replacement not being healthy for women, I stopped taking them and again, did adjust to that ok as well.

My advice...find out how your Mom or female siblings managed through meanopause. My Mom breezed right through it and for the most part my 4 sisters who are now all through it as well, did too. That is always a good indicator.

In the meantime, make sure you have a good gynecologist and continue with your regular checkups. The gynecologist is your best source of info on this phase of your life....good luck and stay cool!!! LOL

Old 06-20-2009, 08:47 AM

479 posts, read 1,280,298 times
Try this website...could give you some good information:

Women to Women — Changing women's health — naturally?

And every woman is different. I went into perimenopause around 40 y/o...and my dr. at the time started me on Premarin -- night sweats were frequent. I stayed on those for almost 20 years!! Then I had an issue with my breast and had a biopsy that showed 'atypical ductal hyperplasia' -- which can mean a forerunner of cancer. Since that day I haven't taken any more HRTs. But my hot flashes and night sweats only got worse.

I hope you don't have to go through that part of it, but other parts could be just as bad I guess -- like memory loss, etc. I would strongly suggest that if you need HRTs, please use them temporarily only!

Old 06-20-2009, 02:03 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,162,358 times
I don't feel any compelling reason to take HRT now and my gyno said if your going to do it, do it early and for a short period. So I feel like 1) its getting on too late anyway and 2) I just don't want to for many many reasons, not all health related.
I hope I can stick to my guns about HRT and not wimp out if I get hot flashes (I have very thin straight hair, hot flashes would be bad). I.e. only if its just sooooooo bad there's just no point would I take it.
But I would like to know the average of what happens or what could happen or just get some idea.....
my mother had a hysterectomy in her late 30s, my sister had kids and I didn't so I think that changes things as well. All our other family died pretty much in WWII.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:44 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,602,201 times
I'm in my early 50's and have symptoms all the time. They are aggravating.....but not bad enough for me to want to fill my system with a bunch of medicine I can live without. If I'm having a bad day, I take some Aleve. If I'm having a REALLY bad day, I'll drink a couple of beers. Then life goes on.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:50 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,155,018 times
Went through menopause in my early forties. Never trusted HRT, so I took Remifemin (black cohosh) which is available over the counter now. Worked great for hot flashes. Took it about 5 years, then stopped. No problems so far and it's been over 10 years.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:54 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,193,288 times
I am 54 and had my last period almost exactly 2 years ago.
Have had a few night sweats and they still appear every now and then, especially <groan> during the summer. But I've never had to change the sheets or anything like that.
No big stomach, no vaginal dryness, not too weepy.
Have not taken HRT but did take that natural Hot Flash stuff (made by Source) for the first year of no periods.
I remember my mom was hell on wheels during her menopause, but then, she began young and still had a houseful of teenagers.
It's good to still visit the doc and check on bone density, etc.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:23 PM
'M'

1,772 posts, read 2,507,943 times
A previous poster mentioned memoy loss as a possibly symptom. There is a book called Menopause and the Mind, by Claire Warga. Not only is she the author but she also has been through the 'pause. She states that taking estrogen is good for memory loss. After researching HRT extensively, I am very hesitant to take any form of HRT. But...because I have suffered memory loss, I wonder, has anyone taken estrogen/HRT for memory loss?z

Old 06-20-2009, 03:37 PM
'M'

1,772 posts, read 2,507,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Went through menopause in my early forties. Never trusted HRT, so I took Remifemin (black cohosh) which is available over the counter now. Worked great for hot flashes. Took it about 5 years, then stopped. No problems so far and it's been over 10 years.
I took Vitex (from the vitex berry) when I was in peri-menopause. There is also a book by Susun Weed New Menopausal Years, the Wise Woman Way: Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90 (Wise Woman Herbal Series, Book 5). I referred to this book often. Everything she suggests is herbal or nutritional.

I also had very heavy mentstual bleeding with very bad cramping. My mom had it too. I never knew when or if a gusher would come during my periods. I also had fibroids, but probably not very bad ones. I took Shepherd's Purse tincture for the bleeding and did some other things for heavy bleeding. Used some suggestions from Linda Rector Page's book, too (she suggests pressure on your upper lip, under the nose).

I have never had many hot flashes. Wouldn't know about vaginal dryness since I have been without a relationship. I did have terrible irritibility, anger during peri....2-3 years. It was awful. I am so glad that I am out of that now.

Well, I made it just fine. My last period was at 55. I'm now 61. Never needed a hysterectomy for the bleeding because I simply waited it out and used all of the natural therapies I could find. Much of what I read reminded women that menopause is a normal process. We aren't "ill", we're just going through a life phase. That was very helpful to me to keep as positive an attitude as I could and not think of myself as sick or inadequate. Susun Weed says that we become "chrones" or wise women once we have completed the 'pause.

Last edited by 'M'; 06-20-2009 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-20-2009, 04:13 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,053,831 times
No HRT for me especially since I had uterine cancer. I'll just grow old gracefully or not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness