Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 55,892 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up, my neighbor was a chemist for the FDA. He told me that where dairy products are concerned (can't speak for other categories), (1) taste was a reliable indicator; and (2) the human tongue was an amazingly sensitive detector of spoilage--down to a few parts per million. It was only in the mid-1960s, according to him, that more sensitive technology was developed that could outdo our taste buds. So, he said to rely on taste to tell if milk or cheese were OK. I have followed this advice for 30+ years and never gone wrong, as far as I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Cream cheese takes a LONG time to go bad in the fridge. 3 hours at room temperature is nothing, it's fine to eat. Eat it up.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babatjie View Post
When I was growing up, my neighbor was a chemist for the FDA. He told me that where dairy products are concerned (can't speak for other categories), (1) taste was a reliable indicator; and (2) the human tongue was an amazingly sensitive detector of spoilage--down to a few parts per million. It was only in the mid-1960s, according to him, that more sensitive technology was developed that could outdo our taste buds. So, he said to rely on taste to tell if milk or cheese were OK. I have followed this advice for 30+ years and never gone wrong, as far as I know.

I agree. I don't pay attention to the dates; I can taste spoilage before I can smell it, but I sniff first....if it smells OK, I take a small taste. If it tastes OK, I dive in.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:20 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
A general resource (w/lotsa' info.) on whether/when foodstuffs go bad or remain okay-
StillTasty: Your Ultimate Shelf Life Guide - Save Money, Eat Better, Help The Environment
It's merely advice from the internet, but IMHO it's a pretty good site (has been around for a few years).

Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
This thread was three years ago, when I was once known as pirate_lafitte. I ate the cream cheese, didn't get sick. But I did learn something. Refrigerate all dairy products the moment you get home.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This thread was three years ago, when I was once known as pirate_lafitte. I ate the cream cheese, didn't get sick. But I did learn something. Refrigerate all dairy products the moment you get home.
LOL, I didn't even look at the date. Good to know you survived.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 55,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Your first post on city-data-forum and you drag up one that's over 2 1/2 years old and about cream cheese?
Anyway, hi.
Just teasing you.

Omg! This cracked me up! This is MY 1st post too & I literally signed up just to reply to this comment! Lol

Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Hi, I just looked at the date and wondered how the subject got re-opened, but as long as it did, let me tellyou something: cream cheese will not make you sick if left out. Why do you think so many recipes call for room temp cream cheese. it takes a few hours to get it at room temp..I think way to many of us worry way to much about food born illnesses...I am glad you didn't get sick...

Old 12-29-2012, 06:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
You right about that, I think ^^^^^

Dairy products in general can be left out virtually forever, without becoming dangerous to eat. You might not like the flavor or texture when you find a piece that fell down behind the refrigerator, but from the health and safety standpoint, it won't hurt you to eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness