Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:39 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times

Advertisements

I had severe side effects to Doxycycline which required me to go to the ER last Wednesday. I have not taken a pill since about two pm that day. I still have plenty of side effects that have essentially kept me in bed since then. Does anybody have any idea of how much longer this CRAP is going to be in my body? Has anybody had similar experiences? I took this antibiotic for four days before everything got ugly.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 05:59 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
The half life of doxy is 18-22 h. Since you took four days' worth, you were in steady state. In five half lives 95% of the drug would be eliminated, and in 7 half lives, 99% is eliminated.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:10 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
Well I'm hoping I'm in the home stretch here. I'm just surprised and saddened that I still exhibit many of the side effects I got early on, and this far after I took the last dose. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 111,996 times
I was taking Doxy for 7 days, two pills a day @ 100mg each. It's been almost a week since I took the last pill and I am still suffering from slight intestinal pressure. Went to the doctor twice last week when it was worse and I didn't know what was going on. They ran tests and I didn't have any blood in my urine (since I felt like there was an infection down there) and no inflamed bits either, thankfully!

I have no reason to disagree with the doctor since they seemed pretty certain even before they ran tests on me that it was the Doxy. "It's a tough drug" according to the doc. But I wish it would stop and still a bit skeptical. I have a follow up Friday (it's Wednesday now) and hopefully I'll be 100% by then. In conclusion, Doxy STINKS

Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
That pressure is liver strain. Have them check your liver. That drug is linked to liver damage issues.
Even though you stopped taking the med you should talk to your doctor about this. Side effects can and do show up later.

Doxycycline for Acne Treatment

"Even if these symptoms develop after discontinuing use of doxycyline acne treatments, they could indicate serious problems. They relate to the fact that doxycyline can disturb the balance of bacteria in your bowel, causing disease relating bacteria to multiply."

Hopefully its just a bacteria imbalance. Go get retested at a different doctor that is not trying to assure you what he did is right.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:22 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
That pressure is liver strain. Have them check your liver. That drug is linked to liver damage issues.
Even though you stopped taking the med you should talk to your doctor about this. Side effects can and do show up later.

Doxycycline for Acne Treatment

"Even if these symptoms develop after discontinuing use of doxycyline acne treatments, they could indicate serious problems. They relate to the fact that doxycyline can disturb the balance of bacteria in your bowel, causing disease relating bacteria to multiply."

Hopefully its just a bacteria imbalance. Go get retested at a different doctor that is not trying to assure you what he did is right.

Liver strain???

Uhhhhh.....no such animal.

Intestinal "pressure" while taking an antibiotic is not coming from the liver....

Old 03-03-2010, 03:27 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Liver strain???

Uhhhhh.....no such animal.

Intestinal "pressure" while taking an antibiotic is not coming from the liver....
what, you don't like the word "strain"?
are you actually saying that the liver cannot be negatively impacted / damaged ... by various substances?

Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
Its when the body has to deal with more than it usually does. It does exist. Not everyone feels sharp pains with internal issues. They sometimes are only felt as pressure or dull bloated feelings.

You have no idea what the pain is from since you don't have her lab work and can't deep palp her. Go troll someone else posts.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Its when the body has to deal with more than it usually does. It does exist. Not everyone feels sharp pains with internal issues. They sometimes are only felt as pressure or dull bloated feelings.

You have no idea what the pain is from since you don't have her lab work and can't deep palp her. Go troll someone else posts.
Mod cut

I am saying there is no such thing as "liver strain".....at least not the way you worded it and by and large there are very few conditions that cause "liver pain" of any sort....

Your liver can be completely shot and you will likely never know it...unless the liver capsule is significantly stretched there isn't ANY pain associated.....

Mod cut

I would also love to see even ONE case report of significant liver damage after 7 days of doxy...

LOL

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-03-2010 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Personal attack and NOT necessary.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
what, you don't like the word "strain"?
are you actually saying that the liver cannot be negatively impacted / damaged ... by various substances?
I am saying your liver can be impacted and you will NEVER KNOW IT

I am also saying it is extremely unlikely to have liver damage from 7 days of antibiotics

I am also saying that "intestinal pressure" while on antibiotics is EXTREMELY common.....but it ain't coming from the liver of all places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness