Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:18 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Apparently your opinion is not shared by the majority of women in this country since OCP's are by far the most commonly used method of birth control....

Guess its not such a "no brainer"....

Contraception: Unintended and Teen Pregnancy | CDC Reproductive Health

More like the opinion of the doctors of unsuspecting young women who take ONE person's word for it and never do any of their own research or get a second opinion

Old 07-17-2009, 03:08 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I didn't read all the pages to see if anyone already said this, but no one here is going to be able to tell you what kind to use, because no one here knows your medical history and what makes sense for your lifestyle

For example, I use the Ortho-Evra patch on a 3 month cycle, because the constant flow of hormones made my migraines go away that I used to have every month during my period, and several other times each month, related to my cycle.

For another example, if you are a smoker, that is going to limit the forms of birth control you can take safely. You probably don't want to take the pill or use the patch, and I don't know which all other ones.

If you are not with a monogamous partner in a long term relationship, you need to use a condom or the equivalent as well as whatever form you decide on.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:26 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Apparently your opinion is not shared by the majority of women in this country since OCP's are by far the most commonly used method of birth control....

Guess its not such a "no brainer"....

Contraception: Unintended and Teen Pregnancy | CDC Reproductive Health
If my opinions regarding anything were shared by the majority of women and/or men in this country i would be very concerned for my self ... my sanity.
Consensus reality is not a place i reside in.
The majority of people in this country are sheeple led (misled!) by the power mongers of the dominant culture.
Because the majority of women use OCP's is not comforting.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:41 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
If my opinions regarding anything were shared by the majority of women and/or men in this country i would be very concerned for my self ... my sanity.
Consensus reality is not a place i reside in.
The majority of people in this country are sheeple led (misled!) by the power mongers of the dominant culture.
Because the majority of women use OCP's is not comforting.

Because I'm "with you" on this does that mean we are in "consensus" in a bad way?

Here here. Nicely put. I can't rep you again yet

Old 07-18-2009, 12:52 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Because I'm "with you" on this does that mean we are in "consensus" in a bad way?

Here here. Nicely put. I can't rep you again yet
i can't answer cleverly or with humor because i'm soooooooo tired and i can barely sit up let alone think straight.
but thank you

Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 PM

16 posts, read 185,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
who is actually planning on losing her virginity soon...lol

I've never dabbled w/ birth control before but some of my friends are on it & I actually want to get on it for the first time, I'm 20 yrs old (about to be 21 this Thursday), a college senior & have never used it before...will it be damaging to my "insides"? I need all the info I can get...Thanks
I'm sure by now you've already went to your gyno and gotten some birth control, but I would recommend to get a low dose pill since you are new to them! Higher doses are known to give you more problems with your body. I began using birth control for the first time almost a year ago, and like you I'm in my 20's. My gyno put me on Lutera (or sometimes known as Alesse) and it really regulates and lightens my periods with almost no cramping. (I also know for me it prevents pregnancy, although the majority of the time I use condoms as well).

Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopy00 View Post
The relative risks aren't the same at all

RR of women taking hormonal birth control getting breast cancer as opposed not is about 1.3.
RR of people smoking and getting lung cancer against non smokers about 10.7.

Its a huge difference. Also there are benefits in hormonal BC - lowers risk of ovarian and endometrial cancer, less risks of ovarian cysts, reduces risk of osteopososis.
It's not only BC that a woman had to worry about with hormonal bc. It's also cervical, uterine, ovarian, and vaginal cancers as well.

I firmly believe that ANY bc taken over a long period of time is dangerous. It's just not healthy to take hormones at an elevated level for a long time, it just isn't.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:17 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
I have only read the first couple of pages of this one, but in case it has not been said before....

Basically, you need to make sure that you take responsibility for yourself and do whatever is necessary to make sure you are safe and protected.

You can never rely on men to have condoms when the possibility of sex arises, so you need to get used to carrying them around if you are likely to need them. Most men at your age probably think it is your responsibility to do the protection thing, and given the opportunity, they will worry about the consequences later. Men do not have to have the baby or the abortion and abortion is not at all a pleasant experience - either at the time or living with it afterwards.

Do not believe people when they say that they do not have some nasty disease and insist on a condom regardless of whatever method you use yourself (pill etc)

Having said all that - enjoy yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness