U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:10 AM

5,554 posts, read 5,867,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
You can actually "feel" a hot flash starting and moving into your face where you have a nice blushing shade of red. Then you have a lovely sheen of sweat as it starts to fade. This may happen once in a while or several times a day. Mine always seem to get worse the moment I lie down and try to go to sleep...it just never fails!
For some reason, it happens often to women just as they get into bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:11 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,459,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
I've heard it's easier on women who have born children than those who haven't.
Gee, just what I needed to hear... I never had any children.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,798,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Gee, just what I needed to hear... I never had any children.

Same. .. sorry.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:17 AM

5,554 posts, read 5,867,138 times
It's different for everyone. Some get night sweats wherein they soak the sheets. More common is what is described above - a slow rush, crescendo-ing, making you miserable for about 2-4 minutes, then slowly dying out. I sometimes get thirsty beforehand and realize a flash is coming on. In cold climates, stepping outside for 15 seconds usually ends it immediately! But often one is too hot, cool, then hot, cool (changing thermostat constantly) much to some husbands' chagrin!

Now you can take estrogen or those herbs like black cohosh which will eliminate the flashes. However, when the possibility of women getting heart attacks from taking estrogen arose (and black cohosh contains some estrogen), and women stopped taking estrogen, they had to endure the hot flashes once again. I took estrogen for ten years, and when I stopped, it took five years of hot flashes to dwindle. I still get them occasionally, especially after drinking red wine, but they have diminished in discomfort; they're much lighter and shorter now that I never think about them.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:51 AM

9,169 posts, read 20,201,974 times
For those of us that aren't close to other female family, having posts like these really help. I appreciate everyone's input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
but I have had them start in my hair with a tingly itchy feeling before moving downwards. Makes me want to stop whatever I'm doing and scratch like mad!!
I was going nuts last week.
Hubby was on vacation and took the hand mirror.
It felt really weird, like tiny bugs putting their claws in me.
I ended up pulling my hair into a pony tail and it helped.
I was in the shower the next day and I watched my thigh skin change, got tingly, then goose bumps and burning.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,771,387 times
I could relate to a little of what everyone said. Sometimes my back feels like its burning. Right now I have 7 fans going on in the house with the temp set at 76. I am getting them every few minutes and of course at night. My whole body is soaked with sweat. What makes it worse is I am trying to clean so naturally I am hot but when I "flash" it is horrible.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:44 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
What does it feel like......like you are going to ignite into flames! My doctor prescribed something that I think was called Bellamine, it is now discontinued, it worked GREAT and was not a hormone, the hot flashed started ease up about the same time luckily. Now I take the Equate Estroblend from Walmart and Black Cohosh, they work pretty good. The heat comes from deep inside and works its way out. Very miserable. And I know all too well about going from hot to cold to hot again while trying to sleep
Well all else fails, stick your head in the freeze, it feels wonderful!!!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2009, 03:54 PM

9,169 posts, read 20,201,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Equate Estroblend from Walmart and Black Cohosh
So ticked.. my walmart didn't have either

Old 07-14-2009, 04:06 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
So ticked.. my walmart didn't have either
Wow, that's amazing. The black cohosh I buy is a Spring Valley brand.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:12 PM

31,572 posts, read 12,707,494 times
Alice, it's a hot, steamy, building sensation, slowly from your calves, crawling up your skin till it reaches you head and then, BOOM!!! Your head explodes!!

I haven't had any in years, my menopause was induced by surgery many, many years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness