U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 01:44 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times

Advertisements

I haven't experienced hot flashes in the classic sense -- the slow rush of heat -- what a friend of mine used to call "power surges."

I just get so damn hot, and can't cool off. During the day, I may get one if I'm overheated from some sort of exertion (what's left of my hormones must have an aversion to lawnmowing, LOL). I can tell the difference between ordinary "being hot" and a hot flash because, with a hot flash, it takes a very long time to cool off; normally, a glass of water and a fan will do the trick.

But I mostly get night sweats, where I wake up and the front of my pajama top and the pillow sheet are soaked. Bleah.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 02:00 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,450,948 times
Default Get behind the wheel and drive through menopause

The best place to be for a hot flash is in the car... you can turn on the a/c one minute, turn on the heat the next, open the windows; like it's meant for menopausal women. I go through phases where I have a hf 20 times a day, and then they subside in frequency, and I'll have five or six a day. Mine start like an internal glow in my chest and spread outward until I break a sweat. There are places on my body that sweat now that I didn't even think were able to sweat! The inside of my elbows are now like my new second set of armpits, lol. My neck is also a big sweat location, even in the front! I sweat on the outside of my hands. And who ever said that lying down brings on a hf...I can totally relate to that. I've been going through this for two years now, and hope it ends soon. Waking up with the hot/sweating/cold/hot/sweating/cold syndrome is the worst. It really disrupts a good nights sleep.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:16 PM

9,158 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I just get so damn hot, and can't cool off. During the day, I may get one if I'm overheated from some sort of exertion I can tell the difference between ordinary "being hot" and a hot flash because, with a hot flash, it takes a very long time to cool off; normally, a glass of water and a fan will do the trick.
The not being able to cool off is the best description.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 AM

64 posts, read 112,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
You can actually "feel" a hot flash starting and moving into your face where you have a nice blushing shade of red. Then you have a lovely sheen of sweat as it starts to fade. This may happen once in a while or several times a day. Mine always seem to get worse the moment I lie down and try to go to sleep...it just never fails!
Me too! My worst hot flashes woke me up every few hours. I say "woke" because after trying everything under the sun (even HRT) I finally found a solution. They make a mattress pad that cools down the bed - you can set it to any temperature (from like 45 to 115 or so), and they even make one where you can set both sides of the bed to a different temperature. Here's the site: Chilipad Home Page It's specifically recommended for menopausal women - and let me tell you it's been a lifesaver. I also get far fewer hot flashes and other symptoms (jitters, that's my other big one) now that I can get a full night's sleep.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:54 AM

6,262 posts, read 16,959,107 times
do you get a commission on those things??

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyhumans View Post
Me too! My worst hot flashes woke me up every few hours. I say "woke" because after trying everything under the sun (even HRT) I finally found a solution. They make a mattress pad that cools down the bed - you can set it to any temperature (from like 45 to 115 or so), and they even make one where you can set both sides of the bed to a different temperature. Here's the site: Chilipad Home Page It's specifically recommended for menopausal women - and let me tell you it's been a lifesaver. I also get far fewer hot flashes and other symptoms (jitters, that's my other big one) now that I can get a full night's sleep.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:07 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,450,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punyhumans View Post
Wow, that sounds so cool, no pun intended. A little too expensive though.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 PM

2,945 posts, read 11,934,457 times
I have found that my hot flashes were also directly related to what I ate before going to bed. Smaller and lighter meals have made a huge difference.

The one thing I am looking for is a pillow that does what this mattress pad does -- that is the one thing that would really be wonderful. I turn my pillow constantly at night looking for a cool spot.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:22 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,214,097 times
Angry When You're HOT!

Everyone I've spoken with describe them differently. My friend, Connie, says they start in her feet and work up, engulfing her in stifling hot wetness. Her face was dripping with perspiration while she described the discomfort. I had not yet experienced them for myself, then.

My friend, Anna, said hers were the worst at night, and she'd taken to sleeping in a sleep sack, keeping a fresh one at her bedside. In the middle of the night, she'd wake soaked in sweat, take a quick cool shower, dry off, and throw the fresh sack on the bed to go back to sleep.

Mine started probably about six years ago, and I've been "lucky" because I do not sweat, though my face gets really, really hot -- like a really deep blush! Mostly, the flash explodes out from my center, just below my rib cage, and then outward to my extremities. It's why I always wear loose, preferably cotton clothing.

In the last couple of years, mine only seem to come on after eating. I think it's somehow triggered by the thermogenic properties of food.

It's probably best to talk with your doctor. There are medications available. I chose NOT to do HRT, but I understand it helps.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:23 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,458,040 times
I have a cousin who tells me they start in her chest and radiate out - and that she doesn't believe any other description of hot flashes, that they are not all that bad and are bearable. That's when I started looking for other people's views on it.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:34 AM

9,158 posts, read 20,195,772 times
We went out to dinner the other day, as I'm sitting there I started heating up.
So far, I'm not turning red but in addition to the heat I feel, I also start sweating.
Mostly in my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness