Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:14 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Gee, just what I needed to hear... I never had any children.
Women before menopause start to get hot flashes and women who have never had children get those hot flashes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 11:29 AM

67 posts, read 132,825 times
To answer DreamWeavin - NO! I am not an official representative in any way, I just love my ChiliPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Wow, that sounds so cool, no pun intended. A little too expensive though.
They are a little pricey - but I've actually saved money by using mine because I was blasting the AC before to keep the room cool, and it's way more cost-effective to just cool the bed.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:26 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,160,787 times
ok

and, yes they appear to be a good idea but really are over priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyhumans View Post
To answer DreamWeavin - NO! I am not an official representative in any way, I just love my ChiliPad.

They are a little pricey - but I've actually saved money by using mine because I was blasting the AC before to keep the room cool, and it's way more cost-effective to just cool the bed.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:02 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,976 times
I think someone has to come up with the 'cool' pillow invention.

I've heard some suggest sticking it in the freezer, but ours is way the hell downstairs, where I'd have to traipse outside and down a bunch of stairs to make my way to the basement .. step on a few slugs in my bare feet along the way and head off a few racoons . . and I'm not into doing that at 2am.

Guess I could empty out the fridge freezer of all the cold beer mugs, just so that I can stay comfortable and cool through the night.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:01 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
I think someone has to come up with the 'cool' pillow invention.

I've heard some suggest sticking it in the freezer, but ours is way the hell downstairs, where I'd have to traipse outside and down a bunch of stairs to make my way to the basement .. step on a few slugs in my bare feet along the way and head off a few racoons . . and I'm not into doing that at 2am.

Guess I could empty out the fridge freezer of all the cold beer mugs, just so that I can stay comfortable and cool through the night.
They already did. I don't know if it works or not.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,509 times
OMG! I'm right there, feeling like a fire is inside me! I found a great cooling pillow at a recent trade show. It has elements you can either put in the freezer or heat in the microwave. I keep both elements in the freezer and use one during the day on my office chair as a back support (it stays cool for about 8 hours) and then get a new one to take to bed at night and put on my stomach if I get a hottie. You can go to their website [URL="http://www.abetterback.com"]www.abetterback.com[/URL] I don't know their phone number.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
You could pour some cold beer into those mugs, and cool off that way.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You could pour some cold beer into those mugs, and cool off that way.
Except the other night, when I had 6 of these episodes, that means I would have drunk 6 mugs of beer! Hot flushes would have been the least of my problems then! Probably wouldn't have remembered what they were either. Which sounds like a good thing actually

Mine feel like this: starts around my sternum and feels like a mild anxiety attack. Then I can swear I feel it radiate outwards. First thing that sweats is the back of my neck. It's winter time here in Perth, so I'm wearing warm clothes, especially turtlenecks, which makes it even more unpleasant.

I watched myself in the mirror the other day, while having one, and I watched my upper lip develop a sheen. Freaky! Another time, I was standing at the counter with my palms down on the counter. I lifted them up and saw handprints of sweat. Even more freaky!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:09 AM

412 posts, read 1,751,489 times
I don't know if this works, but my mother mixes honey in white wine, and then she puts quite a few fresh sage leaves in the bottle, she re-closes it and puts it away to ferment for a couple weeks or maybe a month, and then she drinks it. She said it got rid of all of her hot flashes. I'm only 29 so I have no reason to try it yet, but maybe someones heard of it. I really want to know if actually ever worked for her, maybe it depends on the person.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:34 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,511 times
Menopause is a wierd thing and everyone has different symptoms.
I moved to WA from CA just after I turned 40. I started Menopause when I was about 43 and it ended about 48. In all that time, I only suffered about 4 hot flashes. It started in my neck with a hot feeling and moved up through my face all the way to the top of my head. Everything gets flushed and sometimes you sweat, but I am not prone to sweating so I didn't. I am a rather stoic person and as long as I realize what is going on with my body, I don't make it worse by worrying about it. I can only remember one time I had a hot flash in the middle of a meeting and one of the men who probably had a wife in the same state asked me 3 times if I wanted to take a break and I told him NO I'm OK. I think he was more uncomfortable than I was. LOL Finally HE had to take a break and I went to the bathroom and put a cool wet towel on my neck and was cool as a cucumber a couple of minutes later. My mother never got over her hot flashes from menopause. She was still having them at age 60. I think the climate in WA was a great help. I used to joke that WA was one place where you could go through menopause with dignity! LOL
I did suffer from sleeplessness and also from a symptom called "loss of nouns"
An example of that is if I wanted to ask someone "Can I borrow a pencil?" I could see the pencil in my mind, I knew what it was, but I couldn't remember what it was called. That, to me was really horrible. I am an accountant and the VP of finance was only 28 years old and thought I was just stupid even though I actually have an IQ of 151. It cost me dearly in year end bonuses.
Today, I am normal and I am so glad I have been there and done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness