U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,458,040 times

Advertisements

What do hot flashes feel like? Do they last a few seconds, a few minutes or weeks on end? Anyone that tells me to Google it is going to be sent to his/her room! I want to know from a real person what hot flashes associated with menopause feels like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,548,929 times
My wife describes it as an internal oven that goes off, and can last a minute or two - which seem like hours. Even during the winter, she'll say her skin was cold but she was so warm inside she couldn't put more clothes on.

She's still hot - it just comes in flashes.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 AM

9,155 posts, read 20,195,772 times
My "flashing" actually started on my back. I would drive somewhere or sit for a Dr appointment and notice my back was hot. Eventually it got to my face. The best I can describe it was watching another gal; we were talking, the color of her face went red, she started sweating, right in front of me.

There are days I walk around and can feel how hot my face is, taking my temp I don't have a fever.
It's a really weird feeling. Last week my left thigh, plus the back of my head had a hot/cold sensation; they were tingling.

Get yourself a nice gel icepack. I also hear Dawn dish detergent in a ziplock bag works.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:02 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,458,040 times
One day last week and recurrent into this week felt like my hair was really an electric blanket stuck on the highest or hottest setting. I wasn't sure if that was part of it or not. I took my temperature and it was normal. I just don't recall feeling that way before.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:28 AM

9,155 posts, read 20,195,772 times
From what i read, yes. You would not believe the amount of sweat that will drip from my head. I can just get out of a cool shower and my hair stays soaked. I've had to put ice on my head to cool it.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:44 AM

479 posts, read 1,278,541 times
You can actually "feel" a hot flash starting and moving into your face where you have a nice blushing shade of red. Then you have a lovely sheen of sweat as it starts to fade. This may happen once in a while or several times a day. Mine always seem to get worse the moment I lie down and try to go to sleep...it just never fails!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 AM

188 posts, read 839,184 times
I have hot flashes...and they are awful!! One minute I am freezing to death, the next I am wondering what's wrong with the AC!! My doctor had me on hormones for years but, since they are getting a bad rap now.. I have decided to quit taking them. I am taking Equate ( wal-mart brand) of Estroblend. (Was taking the Estroven but it is more expensive.) Estroblend has alot of Soy, vitamins etc. It helps alot!! But you have to take them every day and it may take a couple of weeks ( or longer) to work. I am down to having one, maybe two (hotflashes) a day now. Dr says they are all natural, so there are no nasty side effects. I have also noticed that if my suger gets to high, they are worse. I am not a diabetic, but I do check it frequently. Good Luck!!

Old 07-14-2009, 09:03 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,983,354 times
Alice, I think everyone has a slightly different experience...it isn't one of those things that stays the same every time. I only have Hot-Flashes a couple of times a month.

Mine tend to stay around my face, but I have had them start in my hair with a tingly itchy feeling before moving downwards. Makes me want to stop whatever I'm doing and scratch like mad!!

And mine don't seem to have any pattern at all... I might have flashes that come and go for half an hour or I might have just one that lasts a few minutes. I carry a little fold-up fan with me and use it when I need to... The "knowing" smiles from other ladies my age is always a comfort.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,797,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
What do hot flashes feel like? Do they last a few seconds, a few minutes or weeks on end? Anyone that tells me to Google it is going to be sent to his/her room! I want to know from a real person what hot flashes associated with menopause feels like.

Alice, I used to wonder if what I was experiencing were hot flashes or not .. and believe me! .. if, and when it happens, .. you'll be wondering no more!

Over the last three years or so, I've started and stopped so many times, and in between, the flashes have also changed.

In the beginning, I can only discribe it as an internal nuclear explosion, slowly mushrooming from feet to head. During the minute or so it takes to travel your body, you crazily want to run down the street .. screaming .. ripping clothes off. You don't even care that you'd look like a totally delusional woman. Seriously, I've come so close to ripping my shirt off in a movie a couple of times, not caring who was about.

You know it's coming, it's happening, and there's nothing you can do about it .. except reach for your ever-ready fan. Even carry a folded version with me at all times.

If I could grab a glass of ice water right when I feel it coming on, it really helps. Find the flashing has changed from nuclear to just instant 'drench' now, .. figure I've experienced about five different types now.

A combo of dong quei, epimedium, black cohosh, white peony root, ginseng, oyster shell, wild yam root, and schizandra .. along with ultra primrose oil seems to work quite well .. if you take it regularily. Unfortunately when all is well, stop and then forget to carry on with the program and it all goes chaotic again.

But must admit, the flashing in the first year or so was the worst. I've heard it's easier on women who have born children than those who haven't.

Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who doesn't experience all the fun stuff.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,797,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
You can actually "feel" a hot flash starting and moving into your face where you have a nice blushing shade of red. Then you have a lovely sheen of sweat as it starts to fade. This may happen once in a while or several times a day. Mine always seem to get worse the moment I lie down and try to go to sleep...it just never fails!

Grrrrr ... this is probably the worst for me too.

I really started to wonder about myself when this would happen each time I'd go to lie down .. almost like a panic attack where it's difficult to breathe, and then immediately .. hot flash.

Until I read in a doctor's office, can be one of menopause symtoms! crazy huh?

Bam, I agree with the hot one moment and freezing the next! Holy moly.

but I'd better stop for fear of scaring Alice! .. but as someone else mentioned, we don't all experience the same symptoms, some none at all. Some get to just breeze right through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness