U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,706,134 times

Advertisements

I have considered signing to become an organ donor, I have no problem with any "used parts" helping someone else, go for it!

But the only thing that holds me back is, would it influence a doctor's decision to render life saving treatment in an emergency? Say, I was in an accident, chances are slim, and they see I've signed the organ donor line on my driver's license. So, they have a patient on a wait list for an organ, or, know someone who does. surely their decision would be influenced?

Also, the black market in human organs makes me hesitate, no need to make it easy for them!

Last edited by 2goldens; 07-17-2009 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:05 PM

29,747 posts, read 26,775,195 times
Thumbs up good thread

Very good thoughts! I donít think a doctor would wholesale your body if in an accident like that. Normally that doctor would most likely not even know any of the other people that would be waiting for parts. Thus ,,,,, heís mainly looking at keeping you alive and well at that moment.

As for black market of human organs ~ the more people become donors the LESS the need for a black market to exist.

I too am a donor, but the longer I live the less my parts are worth. However itís a very good thing for everyone to think about doing. Lord knows there isnít much of me worth having around after I leave this body.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:22 PM

51,054 posts, read 29,137,166 times
I donated an organ only one time, even though it needed new pipes, new pedals, and some new keys..

Seriously, I'm not on a donor list, and I wouldn't want to be given any donor organs if I ever needed them. If it's time for me to go home to be with the Lord, then why fight it?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,706,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I have considered signing to become an organ donor, I have no problem with any "used parts" helping someone else, go for it!

But the only thing that holds me back is, would it influence a doctor's decision to render life saving treatment in an emergency? Say, I was in an accident, chances are slim, and they see I've signed the organ donor line on my driver's license. So, they have a patient on a wait list for an organ, or, know someone who does. surely their decision would be influenced?

Also, the black market in human organs makes me hesitate, no need to make it easy for them!

Ok, just make sure to hide your driver's license in the ER if you've signed the organ donor line, then you've got nothing to worry about!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:07 AM

15,533 posts, read 35,646,549 times
I'm an organ donor, but I don't worry about doctors purposely letting me die so they can take my parts.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:23 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,929,693 times
I'm a donor. I just figure that once I croak I don't need anything so once the nice doctor has confirmed that I'm not just sleeping off a rough night he can help himself to whatever he likes. Never did think about the possibility of them bumping me off to get access to a big juicy liver or heart or something though. You've got me worried now.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:58 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
ER doctors are not the ones who do transplants nor do they know what is needed "right now." Get a power of attorney for a trusted family member or close friend - they will have to sign off on "turning you off."

Old 07-17-2009, 07:31 AM

9,173 posts, read 20,201,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
ER doctors are not the ones who do transplants nor do they know what is needed "right now." Get a power of attorney for a trusted family member or close friend - they will have to sign off on "turning you off."
Plus, what is being described only happens in the movies.
If your organs are harvested, they go to the next in line that is on the registry; not someone in that particular hospital.

The way I see it, and I'm a donor, is that how many people will actually pass in such a way that they can even harvest organs?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:15 AM

1,367 posts, read 4,973,372 times
The doctors that care for people who are sick/injured (potential donors) are completely different from the group of doctors and workers that procure organs for donation. Different states and hospitals have different specific procedures, but the organ procurement team isn't called in until death has occurred or is imminent. The procurement team works separately from the patient-saving team. The doctor trying to save you is probably aware that there are over 100K people on wait-lists... however, they have no control over who would get your organs and probably don't know whether you are a donor (it's someone elses job to figure that out).

Most hospitals only consider a patient "dead" (and therefore appropriate to be considered for donation) when the brain has stopped functioning. Some hospitals will consider a patient "dead" for donation if the heart has stopped beating entirely even if they aren't brain dead... meaning, your heart stopped and will not start again, but then only if the person was an organ donor, the family is presented and consented, the family was planning on taking them off life support regardless, etc. There is a VERY short window in which organs are useable, so this helps ensure donation is possible as the team can be ready whenever the family decides to discontinue life support.

To those of you that are donors- PLEASE make sure your family knows about your wishes! They are the ones who ultimately make the call!

Sorry if this is a long post, I hope it helps you and I am glad you're considering registering as a donor! I feel strongly about this, and may admittedly be biased, as my mom passed away while wait listed for an organ. She was on the list for four years but couldn't hold on long enough for one to become available.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 AM

9,173 posts, read 20,201,974 times
Sorry about your mom.
I don't know why I wanted to donate but it's always been on my license.
I guess from my dad being on the squad & me seeing bad accidents.

The way I feel is that if I am brain dead and can't use anything then why shouldn't someone benefit?
While my eyes are getting older (small print problems) they've always served me well and I've always wanted to pass them on to someone that could use them.

I'm not sure if I'd donate my face for a transplant but I'm thinking about it.
It's something I'd have to discuss with my kids, if it would bother them that I couldn't have an open casket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
The doctors that care for people who are sick/injured (potential donors) are completely different from the group of doctors and workers that procure organs for donation. Different states and hospitals have different specific procedures, but the organ procurement team isn't called in until death has occurred or is imminent. The procurement team works separately from the patient-saving team. The doctor trying to save you is probably aware that there are over 100K people on wait-lists... however, they have no control over who would get your organs and probably don't know whether you are a donor (it's someone elses job to figure that out).

Most hospitals only consider a patient "dead" (and therefore appropriate to be considered for donation) when the brain has stopped functioning. Some hospitals will consider a patient "dead" for donation if the heart has stopped beating entirely even if they aren't brain dead... meaning, your heart stopped and will not start again, but then only if the person was an organ donor, the family is presented and consented, the family was planning on taking them off life support regardless, etc. There is a VERY short window in which organs are useable, so this helps ensure donation is possible as the team can be ready whenever the family decides to discontinue life support.

To those of you that are donors- PLEASE make sure your family knows about your wishes! They are the ones who ultimately make the call!

Sorry if this is a long post, I hope it helps you and I am glad you're considering registering as a donor! I feel strongly about this, and may admittedly be biased, as my mom passed away while wait listed for an organ. She was on the list for four years but couldn't hold on long enough for one to become available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness