Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:55 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,837,655 times

Advertisements

Going to jump in here a little on thyroid cancer.

I had 6 nodules (cancer) and had the thyroidectomy done over 6 yrs ago...in fact have my twice a yr checkup next week.

I take Levothyroxine (Synthroid) 0.15mg each morning. Understand a person is supposed to take it before food and with water. Dumb me have been taking it after I have breakfast and with coffee all these yrs and still feel okay...no different then usual. Maybe my old age makes a difference.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 12:15 AM

1,689 posts, read 4,285,185 times
I have a concern with taking my thyroid med in the am as instructed.
When I read SXMGirl's comment about taking it at night I had to look it up.

It is indicated in some limited studies that hormone levels are not affected whether the med is taken in the am or pm. The key is to take it at the same time consistently according to what I read.

Works for me (mine is manageable hypothyroidism).

Old 04-08-2010, 07:22 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,379,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
For those of you who take meds for hypothyroidism did it take a while to get the dosage right.

Did you feel a noticeable difference in your energy levels or a lifting of depresssion?

It's been about a year, I started at 0.025 mcg and have been at 0.050 for several months now. Blood work last month shows my levels are good but Have not felt any improvement.

Also, I take 300 mg of Wellbutrin for the depression and was on it long before bloodwork showed need for thyroid meds.

Do you take it with a full 8 oz of water and wait at least 30 minutes before ingesting anything else? How critical are those 2 things?
This happened to me also except I was not on the depression meds. Have they checked you for Pernicious anemia? Or have they done "all" the T3 tests you may not be converting from T4 to T3. These tests need to be done and if they have maybe you need a different thyroid medication.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:24 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,379,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
I have a concern with taking my thyroid med in the am as instructed.
When I read SXMGirl's comment about taking it at night I had to look it up.

It is indicated in some limited studies that hormone levels are not affected whether the med is taken in the am or pm. The key is to take it at the same time consistently according to what I read.

Works for me (mine is manageable hypothyroidism).
Yes taking it at the same time and with or without food also be consistent.
When I was first taking it I could not take it in the evening it would keep me awake. Now it does not seem to bother me.
Also watch how close you take it with calcium.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 9,171 times
Would you share how many mcg's and the name of thyroid med you are on? You sound overall like whatever you are doing is working well. No weight issues, cold hands/feet, hair loss etc. I am really concerned being a Senior also that it appears harder to find which one will be most effective and also for me, not cause weight gain. That is a real surprise and upsetting too.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:42 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,557,815 times
This is an older thread and don't know if the original posters are around.

I mentioned on the other older post, depression FINALLY lifted for me after 10 yrs of trying to get help. My great D.O. called in for Armour and I think it was 30mg and I went from there. Depression lifted I think in 4 days. It was an undiagnosed sluggish thyroid for 10 yrs.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:47 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,557,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
just remember it takes 6 months to a YEAR before you start feeling better and becoming yourself again.
Not so for me, in 4 days 10 yrs of depression lifted when I was put on Armour in 2002. I can't imagine it taking that long to feel better IF the person is given the right medication and dosage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness