U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:16 PM

8,293 posts, read 14,317,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post
thank you all for your comments and advice. I never went back nor did i turn her in. FYI - $50 a week is too much for me to pay, i am not dripping with diamonds, my husband has an 85 olds toronado that we are trying to sell and i have a 2006 chevy impala that i bought used and am still paying on. i am a stay at home mom and my husband doesn't make a whole lot of money. so it's not that i don't want to pay, it's that we can't.
I'm sure I'm going to get massacred for this, but I'm going to make the suggestion any way.

Go see a pastor, rabbi or priest.

I will qualify that advice by saying that I'm fully aware of the fact that some people in these professions are not competent to counsel.

On the other hand, many are both extremely educated in the field of counseling and experienced. In fact, most pastors, priests & rabbis are more qualified than many of the "professionals" that work at mental health centers.

In addition, most will either not charge you at all, or will charge a very minimal fee.

Again, this may not be the right route for you. But it might. And since you cannot afford the "professional" clock-watcher anyway, I don't see that you have much to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:20 PM

3,700 posts, read 11,296,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm sure I'm going to get massacred for this, but I'm going to make the suggestion any way.

Go see a pastor, rabbi or priest.

I will qualify that advice by saying that I'm fully aware of the fact that some people in these professions are not competent to counsel.

On the other hand, many are both extremely educated in the field of counseling and experienced. In fact, most pastors, priests & rabbis are more qualified than many of the "professionals" that work at mental health centers.

In addition, most will either not charge you at all, or will charge a very minimal fee.

Again, this may not be the right route for you. But it might. And since you cannot afford the "professional" clock-watcher anyway, I don't see that you have much to lose.
Actually, a very good idea. I know when I was in college and broke and in need of some help, I went to my local priest (who was in fact also a psychologist and councilor). You would be surprised what kind of professional degrees the clergy have other than divinity schooling.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:23 PM

8,293 posts, read 14,317,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Actually, a very good idea. I know when I was in college and broke and in need of some help, I went to my local priest (who was in fact also a psychologist and councilor). You would be surprised what kind of professional degrees the clergy have other than divinity schooling.
Exactly. I think most people would be VERY surprised by how highly educated most clergy are. I have a sneaking suspicion that more have Doctorates than those who do not - and I'm not talking about those silly "Honorary Doctorates."

And while you might not find this to be true with some of your more fundamentalist evangelical pastors, most of your priests, pastors and rabbis are pretty respectful of people who do not share their faith. In other words, they're not likely to be trying to cram their religion down your throat.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:25 AM

16,406 posts, read 30,767,974 times
A lot of seminaries now offer courses on pastoral counseling b/c the need is there.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:29 AM

1,875 posts, read 4,872,835 times
I don't have a problem with the Bartering... I know what the rules say, but reasonably I think she is trying to be nice.

HOWEVER, I think it is low down and dirty to charge extra for going over time and then tell you it is your job to watch the clock. I would find another doctor just for that.

If you decide to stay with her, bring an alarm clock with a really loud alarm and set it for the end of your counseling session!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:42 AM

348 posts, read 597,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post

If you decide to stay with her, bring an alarm clock with a really loud alarm and set it for the end of your counseling session!

lol! that is funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness