Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:59 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times

Advertisements

Oh...as to the OP's questions...I've worn prescription sunglasses for 45 years. Personally, don't spend the money for anti-glare and polarization. I've never noticed that it makes any difference. But that's just me. Make sure ALL the lenses you by are UV coated. Personally I like Transitions but I also [since I've found reasonably priced glasses on the 'net] own several pairs of plain old tinted lenses. Dark gray seems to work best...again for me, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 09:11 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Get the darkest lens you can. Anbd the anti-glare, too. What is the point of sunglasses if you don't have all the things that make them effective? My regular bifocals have the darkening/lightening feature (can't think of the name now) and they are good for all but the brightest days.
are you referring to transitional? definitely worth it.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Transition lenses which are bifocal and are good for the sun & the shade are definitely worthwhile. They usually come with a UV as well anti-scratch (which is very important when the lenses are plastic and not glass) coating. If the glasses cause any pain go back to where you bought them and have them adjust the frames so they feel comfortable. If you go to a small local optician shop, they may be willing to adjust the price for you as they want to make money in this bad economy.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:19 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
Do you have any old frames at your house that you could use? That will save some of the expense, as you'll only have to pay for the lenses. But yeah, I'd say that all the coatings (polarizing, anti-glare, etc.) are worth it.

Mine are a couple years old. I think that they cost me about $250...just for the lenses. I've gotten my money's worth out of them, though.

(I do think that with my next pair, I'll get Transitions lenses. I have a friend who has those, and they seem great.)

Old 07-26-2009, 05:21 PM

96 posts, read 337,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I just ordered a cheap ($20) pair from ZenniOptical.com, with 80% tint, the darkest they offer. I'll let ya know how they work out. I only plan on wearing them outside in bright sunlight, so I skipped the bifocal/reading part of my prescription and just ordered the distance correction.
we have also used this website many times great glasses andvery cheap! they also have transitions!

Old 07-28-2009, 12:23 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,574,531 times
I got some prescription sunglasses from one of those places that was having a promo, buy one pair of glasses get another free. I got one pair regular, then you get to choose some from another shelf, I had those made as sunglasses. They are kinda ugly though....but free

Old 07-28-2009, 04:16 AM

672 posts, read 2,112,830 times
I got tired of paying so much for glasses and then laying out more money for prescription sunglasses. Last month, I bought a pair of fitovers and love them. What I really like is I don't have to fiddle with switching glasses to sunglasses and back to glasses. I don't like the transitions because a boss of mine had a pair that looked tinted in bright indoors which gave them a 70s look. He looked ridiculous. What can I say, I am picky.

So the low price, polarized lenses, ease of use worked for me so it's just another option to consider.

Last edited by Mary Ann789; 07-28-2009 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-30-2009, 10:23 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
I got tired of paying so much for glasses and then laying out more money for prescription sunglasses. Last month, I bought a pair of fitovers and love them. What I really like is I don't have to fiddle with switching glasses to sunglasses and back to glasses. I don't like the transitions because a boss of mine had a pair that looked tinted in bright indoors which gave them a 70s look. He looked ridiculous. What can I say, I am picky.

So the low price, polarized lenses, ease of use worked for me so it's just another option to consider.
I use these, which are similar. Having the side protection is a plus over standard models.
Cocoons Eyewear - Fit Over Prescription Sunwear

Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I am buying my first pair of prescription sunglasses.

Can you tell me approx how much you spent for these?

Also, do you need the anti-glare and polarizing aspect added on to the lenses? This seems to raise the cost considerably.

Thanks!
It's been a long time since I wore mine as they are an old prescription. Polarizing will help cut down the visible rays, and therefore the heat/light, but if you don't plan to stare into the sun much then you probably can get by without them.

If you are using them to drive, you probably want all the features to maximize blocking out the glare and light, however, it's somewhat of a pain to drive using these things because the ambient light changes and then you can't see very well and have to switch glasses.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:52 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Hi all, I wanted to revive this thread since I need advice re my first pair of Rx sunglasses too. I have astigmatism and fairly high myopia, and I've already got the sunglasses themselves and will be getting the prescription lenses put in. I can't figure out if I should spend extra money on the polarization and anti-glare options. I don't do any sporting or water activities etc. but will be using them to drive my son around now that we moved to a place with lots of sun, and want to make sure I feel safe and comfortable driving in them in sunny weather. I can't really visualize what exactly the anti-glare and polarization will be preventing. Anyone has any input?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness