U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:18 PM

4,088 posts, read 9,617,017 times

Advertisements

I went to the Dermatologist yesterday and he froze several spots on my face, arms and legs. How long does it take to dry up, fall off and go away? I never had that done before. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 06:15 PM

16,472 posts, read 31,224,125 times
Depends on the individual. I am a very fair-skinned redhead (well, white hair now!) and mine usually take about 1 week to get down to a reddish spot which gradually fades. I had a whole-body mole check a few years ago after my brother had a melanoma and I had over 70 spots treated that day. Talk about uncomfortable!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-19-2009 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-19-2009, 06:20 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,568,411 times
My husband has to have this done every six months. They look pretty ghastly, but he swears they only hurt for about an hour.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:41 AM

There is a cream they can give you to help with the uncomfortable feeling. When I had the 70+ done, I felt like I itched and hurt. The cream helped a lot!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Depends on the individual. I am a very fair-skinned redhead (well, white hair now!) and mine usually take about 1 week to get down to a reddish spot which gradually fades. I had a whole-body mole check a few years ago after my brother had a melanoma and I had over 70 spots treated that day. Talk about uncomfortable!
70? I can't imagine that. I give you credit for getting checked. Most people I know never get checked. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
My husband has to have this done every six months. They look pretty ghastly, but he swears they only hurt for about an hour.
Mine only hurt for a second, while they did it but they don't hurt now. Of course the one on my face is the largest and now I have a big black spot on my cheek plus they did a biopsy on my nose. Boy do I look attractive right now. : )

Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
70? I can't imagine that. I give you credit for getting checked. Most people I know never get checked. Thanks for the info.

................)
My brother's doctor told him to tell us (the siblings) to get checked as there may be a genetic component to melanoma. Maybe the type of skin that could be susceptible? Anyway, since I had already had a basal cell carcinoma on my arm, some years ago, I hurried to the dermatologist. I quit counting at 70.

I am going later on today as I have a few more spots on my arms. Why can't they all grow at once, so we could be done with it once and for all? I'm sure I'll be spotted tomorrow!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:45 PM

I think I would pass out after twenty. He also took three biopsies, one on my face. How long do they usuually take to heal? I know everyone is different but do you think in two weeks it would be close to normal?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I think I would pass out after twenty. He also took three biopsies, one on my face. How long do they usuually take to heal? I know everyone is different but do you think in two weeks it would be close to normal?
Depends on how he did it. My basal cell was removed with a punch biopsy instruement, which left a cylindrical hole in my arm, maybe 1/4 inch deep. That took months to look fairly normal but I can't find it any more.

If it was a shave biopsy, it should heal quicker.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:11 PM

I'm guessing it was a shave - I couldn't look when he did it. Thank you.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 PM

419 posts, read 1,226,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture
I went to the Dermatologist yesterday and he froze several spots on my face, arms and legs. How long does it take to dry up, fall off and go away? I never had that done before. Thanks!
I've had this done several times and typically if it's small it will take a minimum of 2 weeks to heal. Now please understand this is only from my own experiences. I commend you on having this done as most folks are not aware of the possibility of having skin cancer.

I've been visiting my dermatologist on a regular basis for the past 5 years. Being 55 now, I worked outside when I was much younger for a number of years and it is now catching up with me. I just had Mohs surgery for squamous cell carcinoma about 6 weeks ago. It was caught very early due to my frequent exams. No pain and the scar is healing well.

Please continue your exams. The minor inconvience of a scab is nothing compaired to having a skin cancer that is to late to take action on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness