Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:11 PM

515 posts, read 1,553,381 times

Advertisements

Hi, all,

I have a hysterectomy (fibroids) scheduled in early August. I'm only 35, and am keeping the ovaries. I've seen in a lot pf places now that it's common for a doc to go ahead and remove one or both ovaries once they see what condition they're in. I'm very concerned about this, and I'm hoping to avoid premature menopause. Does anyone know anything about this, or have any experience?

Thanks!

~D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 05:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,620,752 times
I lost 1 ovary b/c the tumor was growing off it. After about 6 months, I had to go on HRT as the other ovary just quit working. Never looked back! Been very satisfied.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:42 PM

I've heard that after hyst, the ovaries have reduced blood flow, and that can facilitate early menopause as well. Glad to hear the HRT is working for you!

If there is a similar occurrence with me, will the doc just act on his own, or consult my DH... Just curious. Also, he's saying a two-day hospital stay. Sounds short to me... But then again, I guess I'm not an insurance company! lol...

~D

Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,283,654 times
I hope you got a second opinion, hysterectomys are not always necessary for fibroids, I know, I have seven.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,244,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I hope you got a second opinion, hysterectomys are not always necessary for fibroids, I know, I have seven.
I agree. After mine was done I am thinking I did not really need it. Ovaries are still in place.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 PM

My uterus is expanded to the size of a 20-week pregnancy... and I have 3 kids already. I'm waddling around like a momma-to-be, I cramp all month, my lower back gives me fits, I'm really, really bloated. Plus, when I had my third c-section, the doc told me my uterus was like tissue paper. That was 7 years ago. I think it's time. Whether or not the surgery is necessary is not the question. I really just am getting a little jittery about what to expect... I have a history of doing weird things during recovery, hemmoraging, unrelated infections, etc. I'm just trying to be prepared for whatever might come my way. Thanks again!

~D

Old 07-20-2009, 10:11 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,264,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
My uterus is expanded to the size of a 20-week pregnancy... and I have 3 kids already. I'm waddling around like a momma-to-be, I cramp all month, my lower back gives me fits, I'm really, really bloated. Plus, when I had my third c-section, the doc told me my uterus was like tissue paper. That was 7 years ago. I think it's time. Whether or not the surgery is necessary is not the question. I really just am getting a little jittery about what to expect... I have a history of doing weird things during recovery, hemmoraging, unrelated infections, etc. I'm just trying to be prepared for whatever might come my way. Thanks again!

~D
I would start on some Vitex tincture (drops) and some progesterone cream. I've had great success with shrinking fibroids with this combination. I know you've decided on having the hysterectomy, but you may want to try this for a month or two and see what happens. In any case, they're good uterine toners and might help your hysterectomy go better! Best of luck!!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,620,752 times
If you do go ahead with it, the key to a good recovery is walking as soon as they let you and as much as they let you. I don't care how much it hurts, hold on to the wall if necessary, but walk! prevents blood clots from forming, among other things.

My DH had to ask me if i remembered when we last had sex. I didn't actually remember and didn't much care, either. So, I knew that was NOT normal. Called my OB/GYN and he prescribed HRT.
Good luck!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:32 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,283,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post

~D
But there are other things they can do beside hysterectomy's for fibroids now, did you get a second onion? No one wants unnecessary surgery, especially something this serious.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 AM

When I learned the condition of the uterus after my son was born, I actually questioned at that time why it wasn't just removed then. I was almost a casualty then because of the bleeding, but it was left in place due to something about being in a Catholic hospital, and that being considered "birth control." Personally, I think the doc was just afraid the insurance wasn't going to pay her. Whatever the reason, I've waited this long to get this thing yanked out, because it needed to go 7 years ago. This doc and I have discussed at great length the other options (there are several). I'm also having a TVT done at the same time due to urinary problems. Because of the size of the uterus and the number of fibroids, this will be a transverse (bikini-cut) abdominal procedure. It's too much to be done laprascopically, or vaginally at all. It does need to come out, though. My OB at the time, my gyn, and me all agree on that. It's just not in very good condition.

I know it sounds weird, but I' ve looked forward to having this done for years. I know that for me, the benefits far outweigh the negatives. I just want to go into this with open eyes, and know what to expect. Especially since my body has a mind of it's own, and I tend to be a walking medical anomaly. My daughter, who is 17, says she's never seen me this excited about anything! LOL Thanks for the replies. Hopefully, they'll be able to help another jittery person as well!

~D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness