Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 08:24 AM

11,883 posts, read 6,468,630 times

Advertisements

I have a calcification in my hip near the trochanter causing bursitis. The doctors just wants me on NSAIDs or
Cortisol shots -- all temporary solutions, as he said deposit won't go away.

I researched it, and there's a technique called Levage or Barbotage using an ultra-sound guided needle that pokes into the calcification and pumps in saline solution which breaks up the deposit and is then reabsorbed into the body. They only have to use a local anesthetic, pretty noninvasive. It is used with much success in Britain, and I did find a few clinics here that do it. Mostly they do it for calcification in the shoulders.

Is anyone experienced with this process (Levage or Barbotage) or any other technique to break up calcifications?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 11:04 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,554,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I have a calcification in my hip near the trochanter causing bursitis. The doctors just wants me on NSAIDs or

I researched it, and there's a technique called Levage or Barbotage using an ultra-sound guided needle that pokes into the calcification and pumps in saline solution which breaks up the deposit and is then reabsorbed into the body. They only have to use a local anesthetic, pretty noninvasive. It is used with much success in Britain, and I did find a few clinics here that do it. Mostly they do it for calcification in the shoulders.

Is anyone experienced with this process (Levage or Barbotage) or any other technique to break up calcifications?
Thanks
I have no experience with this work you mention, but I do have off and on pain in the right trochanter area and I guess that is bursitis...I do exercises in my bed and these help to ease pain. I do take Nsaids, less than I took months ago thank goodness. Do you know why the calcifications in this area? My area is more messed up since hip replacement on my right side.

I would NOT do cortisone injections as they are very temporary IF they work and I hear a lot about how these steroids break down bones.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:34 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,172,949 times
Quote:

Thanks
Everything you wrote is spot on regarding barbotage. It is considered safe so if you can find a clinic that offers this treatment you have little to lose in trying, most indications are for shoulders as you found.

Another non invasive option is pulsed ultrasound that some Physical Therapy Centers may offer, I have seen articles showing success in breaking up calcifications with this treatment.

Surgery is also an option.

If you haven't tried a corticosteroid injection for your trochanteric bursitis it is still a viable option and one still used frequently. While temporary for some patients for others it does give long lasting if not permanent relief.

There is a "chicken egg" dynamic with calcific trochanteric bursitis wherein it is thought the bursitis leads to the calcifications and not the other way round which is why corticosteroids can still take care of the problem even if the calcifications don't go away...

Old 11-27-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I . Do you know why the calcifications in this area? My area is more messed up since hip replacement on my right side.
I would NOT do cortisone injections as they are very temporary IF they work and I hear a lot about how these steroids break down bones.
I was told that the calcification probably came from months of inflammation and trauma in that area due to a hip fall/strain I had. The inflammation apparently builds up the calcium there over time?? You can get a simple X-ray done to see if it is a calcification causing your pain since the hip replacement probably caused a lot of trauma and inflammation to the area -- so sorry.

I made my doctor pull up my X-ray so I could actually see the calcification and know exactly.where it is and how big.

I do want to avoid a cortisone shot as I have low bone density and cortisol is bad for that, but my doctor said he can give me a very small dose right in that area, so I may go for that if I can't get Levage/Bartolage done as the NSAID wreck havoc with my GI.

Last edited by mountainrose; 11-27-2017 at 06:08 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Everything you wrote is spot on regarding barbotage. It is considered safe so if you can find a clinic that offers this treatment you have little to lose in trying, most indications are for shoulders as you found.

Another non invasive option is pulsed ultrasound that some Physical Therapy Centers may offer, I have seen articles showing success in breaking up calcifications with this treatment...
Thanks -- have you personally seen results from barbotage or had friends experienced with it?
I have found a radiology dept that does it near me, but I'm having a hard time getting info from them or referrals. My doctor hadn't even heard of it. So much of the pain in joints and tendons as we age has to do with calcification that I am surprised more information hasn't come out on barbotage as it has such a high success rate and is so minimally-invasive. Sports injury doctors and clinics seem to be the most on top of it.

I also looked at the pulsed ultrasound info, but one article mentioned it created more trauma and inflammation than levage/barbotage. But since you brought it up I will do some more research.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:10 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,172,949 times
Quote:
I was told that the calcification probably came from months of inflammation and trauma in that area due to a hip fall/strain I had. The inflammation apparently builds up the calcium there over time?? You can get a simple X-ray done to see if it is a calcification causing your pain since the hip replacement probably caused a lot of trauma and inflammation to the area -- so sorry.

I do want to avoid a cortisone shot as I have low bone density and cortisol is bad for that, but my doctor said he can give me a very small dose right in that area, so I may go for that if I can't get Levage/Bartolage done as the NSAID wreck havoc with my GI.
A corticosteroid injection into a bursa is not going to affect your bone density.

High doses of oral or IV steroids over long periods of time can definitely lead to loss of bone density, directed injections have little to no effect..

The effect on bone density has to do with systemic absorption, there is very little systemic absorption with a directed injection, even if it is injected into a joint and less so a bursal sac....

Old 11-27-2017, 07:14 PM

That's good to know ^^^^
I keep reading that steroids are bad for bone density, but with no details -- so thanks!

Old 11-28-2017, 12:34 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,281,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
A corticosteroid injection into a bursa is not going to affect your bone density.
High doses of oral or IV steroids over long periods of time can definitely lead to loss of bone density, directed injections have little to no effect..
The effect on bone density has to do with systemic absorption, there is very little systemic absorption with a directed injection, even if it is injected into a joint and less so a bursal sac....

bluedevilz is, as always, absolutely correct. When I had a knee that was so painful I couldnt walk, an ortho doc gave me a cocktail steroid/painkiller shot into a bursa. The pain relief was immediate. I had to go back in two weeks for another shot and I havent had any pain at all since then.

I also happened to take a bone density test recently and the steroid shots had no effect on my bone density.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:22 PM

282 posts, read 230,143 times
I also would recommend bluedevilz' advice. He approaches medical maladies from a scientific medical perspective. If he says these procedures aren't a load of hoodoo, you can count on it.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:33 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,554,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
bluedevilz is, as always, absolutely correct. When I had a knee that was so painful I couldnt walk, an ortho doc gave me a cocktail steroid/painkiller shot into a bursa. The pain relief was immediate. I had to go back in two weeks for another shot and I havent had any pain at all since then.

I also happened to take a bone density test recently and the steroid shots had no effect on my bone density.
I was under the impression that to get a second steriod injection in the joint, one had to wait at least 90 days. When I was in hospital recently I was hit with a steroid shot before anyone knew about the infection raging and was told it took 90 days to get out of system before anymore. The injection did nada, and who knows maybe made things worse. They were guessing for months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness