Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 PM

9,501 posts, read 16,397,168 times

Advertisements

I had a cyst removed from my left knee 2 weeks ago. During that period the knee filled with fluid, and became twice its normal size. I went in yesterday to have the stitches removed, and asked about this swelling. The surgeon drained the knee and it was a very hurried job to say the least. I was told I would need to return next week to have it done again. The knee is again filled with fluid and is twice its size. Has anyone else had this happen, and does the knee swelling with the fluid eventually just come to a stop? I had this done at the VA Medical Center and I quite frankly am not really impressed with them. They seemed completely overwhelved with patients, and it showed in the manner these procedures have been done. THey would even stop during the procedures to see another patient, or talk to their families on their cell phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 PM

751 posts, read 2,474,510 times
Yes this can happen. Make sure you are going for your follow ups and have it drained - don't wait hoping it will go down on its own. It should stop eventually. I know someone who had a knee replacement, they tore his leg muscle during his therapy and his knee was so swollen he could barley walk. That was 2 months ago, and it is still swollen, although it is lessening as time goes on.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the information.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 PM

I have now had my knee drained 2 weeks in a row. No Success. I am scheduled again next week for an appt, not sure if the doctor is draining it again. It seems following the drain the knee returns to some semblence of normalcy and size. Unfortunately within a few hours the knee has completely swole up to twice its normal size. I notice that after this 2nd drain the knee is much more sore and tender, it stings abit and I can tell its filled with blood again. I can feel the heat coming from the knee area.

I don't feel I am getting very good care at the VA Med Ctr. I think that is much of the problem and Im at a loss as to what to do. Im not sure if I now go to a private doctor will they refuse me care since I did not have the surgery thru them. The doctor if I even get the same one at the VA is overwhelmed with patients, and her personal phone calls during the appts. I dont' think this is a very good situtation, and Im uncertain of the outcome if I don't take action to correct this swelling.

I don't think this is normal to be continually swollen with blood just hours after all these drainings, and how many can the body take? I would think the doctor would look for the source of the swelling and fix that rather than continuous draining. Sort of like never fixing the source of a leak and expect it to just stop.

What would others do? Would you decide the VA quite possibly, might not be able to handle such a ridiculous large patient load and go elsewhere? My sense is they are overwhelmed, and I am not even assure seeing the same doctor each time for this swelling. I end up explaning over and over what they did previously, and I become annoyed they don't even seem to check my records.

This doctor that did the surgery asked me this. Before I drain your knee was any cancer found after we did the surgery. My response was. "I don't know but I would expect if there was, you or the VA would have contacted me."

Old 08-07-2009, 04:18 PM

296 posts, read 800,988 times
My husband is experiencing the same thing. He injured one knee in sport about 35 years ago - it now has arthritis. He takes an anti-inflammitory pill daily to keep the fluid away. This ailment has come and gone for many years now but lately it seems to be permanent. The pill just barely keeps the fluid away - he had it drained 2 months ago - I think he needs it drained again. But really he needs a new knee (I think). He has put off getting a new knee because they only last 10 years.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post
My husband is experiencing the same thing. He injured one knee in sport about 35 years ago - it now has arthritis. He takes an anti-inflammitory pill daily to keep the fluid away. This ailment has come and gone for many years now but lately it seems to be permanent. The pill just barely keeps the fluid away - he had it drained 2 months ago - I think he needs it drained again. But really he needs a new knee (I think). He has put off getting a new knee because they only last 10 years.
Thank you for the information. Yes evidently this is a very difficult problem, I had no idea. I actually was much better off before this knee hematoma surgery. I do not take the anti inflammatory pills. I am allergic to asprin and that is one of the ingredients in that type med. Actually the VA has not mentioned Meds for this, and I don't want any to begin with.

I hope things will work out for your husband and his knee condition. Thanks again for replying to my thread.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 15,796 times
Not sure if you get on still, but I had knee surgery was put on blood thinners and my knee swelled up also. It was going down fine and looking like a nornal knee when the Dr. wanted to drain it to make sure there was no infection. Two hours later I was in intense pain it swelled up worse than before. When I went back they did not want to drain it for fear it would swell again. It has gone down about 3/4 of the way since then. It has been a week since the draining. Lots of rest, ice, light exercise and walking on it once every hour for what you can stand seems to work. Also elevated with pillows. They say it could take a month or three to return to normal for me.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,779 times
i had my knee drained twice this week once friday took out 100 cc water and today other 100.i got mri and it was normal he said .i had surgery on it 3 years ago.it feel like water coming back again.there sending the fluid out to the lab to get tested.he said maybe auto immune disease.i googled did some research said could be lupus or lyme disease.anybody have any feed back?

Old 12-07-2017, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,528 times
I wrestle and im currently in high school and my knee has had fluid in it twice this year once in janurary and it happened twice as bad in november what can this mean.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,580,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyyy View Post
I wrestle and im currently in high school and my knee has had fluid in it twice this year once in janurary and it happened twice as bad in november what can this mean.
Best to ask MD what's causing this...I had my "old" knee drained once in my long life. For me it's arthritis but you are very young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness