U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:33 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,170,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I don't know what it is but the last 15 years, I swear I have noticed a difference in the taste/smell of meat. You're post is making me question what it is. I'm not a heavy meat eater since then; if we have steak, I have 2 thin slivers, same goes for all meats. I avoid chicken if I can. Hamburgers haven't tasted the same in the last 2 years I think. I've always enjoyed burgers.

As far as "Organic" - to me it means pesticide free. The last few months I've been thinking about this; started with someone posting a link here about what we are buying. Wish I could remember what it was.

I grow roses, there is a lot of talk about the pesticide SEVEN. If it kills so many bugs (toads as well); why is it SAFE to put on FOOD?

I'm starting to think that yes, we are responsible for the higher cancer rate as well as things like Autism. I think that in 20 years we will be seeing an increase in diseases/deaths.

I wish I could afford to change the way we eat every day but right now it isn't happening.
I think that you are right .... that even non-organic (organic as it relates to meat and poultry means, essentially, the it is free of hormones and antibiotics) meat has changed.
There's an NPR program called "The Splendid Table" and i was trying to find (and couldn't) a show that i heard last year regarding the meat industry and why beef doesn't taste like it used to.
In this same show the guy talked about how now, those packaged beefs in the supermarket are made super red by treating the beef with carbon monoxide!!!

That chicken that i spoke of that i couldn't eat, didn't taste like chicken.
I was tasting something(s) else.
Since i eat really pure foods for a very long time (although i'm not a purist or dogmatic in general ... i'm just a super picky eater and also feel that sustainable farming is a must) my taste buds are very sensitive to chemicals, additives, etc.
I think that the American pallet has been so compromised after years of eating junk that we don't even realize how bad the food we eat actually is and how good it could and should be.
I know that organic food is more expensive although there are many people on a tight budget (myself included) who figure out how to fit good foods into the budget.
And generally, the better tasting and more nutrient dense the food is, the less we need to eat.
I see people that are obviously not money people loading up their basket with junk ... it's not cheap and it has no nutritional value ... empty food.
Below is some info on organics and there's also a list at the bottom of the article informing you which produce items are the most and least contaminated when grown conventionally, ie; not organic.
Also, someone said that the organic food industry is making a killing.
Well, not really and the expense of organics will go down as more people go in that direction.
The big markets are aware of the demand and carry more and more organic products.
So for my own sake as well as for the sake of the earth and the overall health of the planet (humans included) i support organic and buy it only and i cut back in other areas so i can afford it.
Also, (and i don't mean to presume or be rude) but if you're buying your family cookies, packaged cereals, etc., etc., a lot of money is going into that way of eating and it could be redirected.
In other words, people often say that they can't afford organic produce, meat and poultry but spend way too much money on items that are basically junk but that we take for granted as being a normal way of eating.
The cost of packaged cereals, for example, is ludicrous.
And what do you get for that kind of money?
Not much.

"Organically made products — everything from fruits and vegetables to comfort food like macaroni and cheese, and organic wine and beer — are flooding the marketplace. From niche markets to health food stores, grocery stores, supermarkets and even Wal-Mart, you can find them everywhere.

[mod cut] Adding link to original article to make copyright compliant

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/heal...uit-vegetables

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 08-02-2009 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: Article Copyright infringement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 01:52 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,063,674 times
Just because it say organic is no reason to believe that it is grown in heathy environments. For that you need to grow them yourself.There are no national satndards for oragnis really.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:52 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,948,605 times
I love supporting the small organic farmers. I get to see how they prepare their soil, start plants, compost organic matter, and grow vegetables like my grandfather did. I am sure that some of the nay sayers will issue dire warnings about the "secret spraying rituals" done by the organic guys after I leave the premises.

I love a big beefsteak tomato grown organically. They certainly beat those hard waxy things that they try to pass off as tomatoes in the main grocery stores. Some of the tomatoes are coated in a kind of ? tacky film or oil. Some commercially grown peaches never taste right. Yes, they are big and fuzzy, but I prefer a small organic peach even if it has spots that tastes like a peach.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:06 PM

9,206 posts, read 20,221,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Also, (and i don't mean to presume or be rude) but if you're buying your family cookies, packaged cereals, etc., etc., a lot of money is going into that way of eating and it could be redirected.
In other words, people often say that they can't afford organic produce, meat and poultry but spend way too much money on items that are basically junk but that we take for granted as being a normal way of eating.
The cost of packaged cereals, for example, is ludicrous.
And what do you get for that kind of money?
Not much.
Thank you, I appreciate the time it took you to type & format the post.
I'll read the bottom part after I'm done cooking.

I don't buy a lot of crap. I stock up on meats, larger packs and rebag to the size we need to use. Kids don't eat cereal - I have wheat checks (bought from cheapest store $2.50 a box). I buy a few bags of chips every few months. Same with cookies - we really don't eat much. With the price of the junk foods - I can't afford that. My guilty pleasure is coke - usually a can or 2 a day. There is no way I could cut down right now. I go once per month usually and drop $200 - $300+. I then go for fresh stuff every 2 weeks

Old 08-01-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thank you, I appreciate the time it took you to type & format the post.
I'll read the bottom part after I'm done cooking.

I don't buy a lot of crap. I stock up on meats, larger packs and rebag to the size we need to use. Kids don't eat cereal - I have wheat checks (bought from cheapest store $2.50 a box). I buy a few bags of chips every few months. Same with cookies - we really don't eat much. With the price of the junk foods - I can't afford that. My guilty pleasure is coke - usually a can or 2 a day. There is no way I could cut down right now. I go once per month usually and drop $200 - $300+. I then go for fresh stuff every 2 weeks
Thank you.
I didn't mean to point the finger at you.
It's just that a lot of peoples food budget goes into crap that isn't truly feeding them and takes an unnecessarily big bite out of their budget.
I think that one of the reasons that Americans are so overweight is because they're never truly satisfied and always wanting more.
There's the emotional attachment to food to compensate for feelings of emptiness but also a kind of starvation for really wholesome and wonderful food.
Also, the food industry has become more and more sophisticated in creating foods (often fast foods) that are so pleasing and irresistible to the mouth but full of really horrid stuff and, needless to say, loaded with calories from fat, full of salt, sugar, etc.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Just because it say organic is no reason to believe that it is grown in heathy environments. For that you need to grow them yourself.There are no national satndards for oragnis really.
That's not true.
Again :

"In the US, federal organic legislation defines three levels of organics. Products made entirely with certified organic ingredients and methods can be labeled "100% organic". Products with at least 95% organic ingredients can use the word "organic". Both of these categories may also display the USDA organic seal. A third category, containing a minimum of 70% organic ingredients, can be labeled "made with organic ingredients". In addition, products may also display the logo of the certification body that approved them. Products made with less than 70% organic ingredients can not advertise this information to consumers and can only mention this fact in the product's ingredient statement. Similar percentages and labels apply in the EU."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or