U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:59 AM

703 posts, read 2,554,387 times

Advertisements

Organic food is no healthier, study finds | Science | Reuters

Not a real surprise at all. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:05 AM

466 posts, read 722,874 times
the article referred to speaks of "nutrient content". That's all.

It doesn't mention the poisonous synthetic chemicals present in the food that is grown "conventionally", and what these chemicals do to human organs and tissue over time.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:00 AM

111 posts, read 215,830 times
The study just claims that organic foods have no nutritional superiority. That is not the main reason most of us choose organics. The study did not address at all the main issue, which is avoiding chemical contamination.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:36 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,138,783 times
The past few weeks I've tried to incorporate more organic foods into my diet....tomatoes, cucumbers, fruits. I've also decided to only buy free range chickens from now on too. I don't know if making these changes will make me any healthier or live longer, but I figure it it can't do any harm to try.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:44 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,589,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
...and more from the article:

Researchers from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine said consumers were paying higher prices for organic food because of its perceived health benefits, creating a global organic market worth an estimated $48 billion in 2007....

ah yes, LONDON....and the UK in general....huge fans of meat and potatoes...kinda like having your proctologist as your dentist.

and the research does not go into wether or not pesticides are great for our ecosystem either now does it...what's next London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine...(O.K!!! WTF is that & that anyway????)

think people think!!!!!

silly puff piece dressed up as 'science'

Old 07-30-2009, 10:23 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,370,753 times
Here it is, an article about this topic that mentions pesticides.

"We know that young children are getting the nutrition, whatever choice they make, but we also have to look at the [COLOR=#005497 ! important][COLOR=#005497 ! important]pesticide[/color][/color]
issue," Rarback said. "A study published in Environmental Health Perspectives found that children eating conventionally grown fruit had pesticide residue in their urine, which decreased after just five days on an organic diet."

'Organic' May Not Mean Healthier - US News and World Report

Old 07-30-2009, 11:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,177,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post

Oh please.
Man.
God, i'm so sick of this culture .... ignorant, arrogant, stubborn and just plain dumb, fragmented, media and consumer driven and Corporate America ... man if i could say what i wanted i'd be banned from City-Data for life.
Phooey with such studies.
People have been duped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Duped i tell ya, duped.
Don't you get it?
The dominant culture is prevailing.
Wake up.
blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Shift the paradigm.
This is crazy.
Duped, duped, duped.
o.k. ... that's my rant .. i feel a little better.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,922,467 times
Any product ( organic) that has a main selling point of demonizing their competition ( conventional) thru scare tactics and out right lies, to justify charging more, has me leary.

Convince the mind !

A few years back, a farmer got shut down cuz he was selling raw milk door to door.
His customers were interviewed in the paper and they were upset.

--"wholesome"---" healthy"----" delicous"-- were words they used to state their satisfaction with the milk he sold.

At the end of the newspaper article the State inspector stated that farmer had his permit piulled and could not sell his milk to processing plants due to high bacteria count. ( thus he had to get rid of it somehow to make money)

Yet, his customers praised how " healthy" and " wholesome" that milk was.

Convince the mind !

Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM

5,117 posts, read 10,041,126 times
No one and nothing will convince me that it is NOT more desirable for my health and the environment to purchase produce free of chemical pesticides etc.
Cancer rates are rising due to our exposures to toxic chemicals in the air, food, water.... and the diet we eat and lack of exercise. Improve those three and chances are better that you will stay healthy.

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,177,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Any product ( organic) that has a main selling point of demonizing their competition ( conventional) thru scare tactics and out right lies, to justify charging more, has me leary.

Convince the mind !

A few years back, a farmer got shut down cuz he was selling raw milk door to door.
His customers were interviewed in the paper and they were upset.

--"wholesome"---" healthy"----" delicous"-- were words they used to state their satisfaction with the milk he sold.

At the end of the newspaper article the State inspector stated that farmer had his permit piulled and could not sell his milk to processing plants due to high bacteria count. ( thus he had to get rid of it somehow to make money)

Yet, his customers praised how " healthy" and " wholesome" that milk was.

Convince the mind !
oh, that story has convinced me.
now i am ready to start eating food grown with pesticides and herbicides.
oy.
good for you and good for the earth too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or