U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:51 AM

786 posts, read 4,228,082 times

Advertisements

I recently traveled cross country and noticed one thing about America, we are getting fatter every day. I would especially notice it in small towns and working class neighborhoods. I strongly believe that in many parts of America being overweight is no longer a stigma it once was. It seems like in many rural communities basically everyone is overweight so no one seems to even care. Because your family, friends and neighbors are all overweight, why even bother to diet.

I was 40 pounds overweight a few years ago and really was not all that concerned about it because all my friends were also that way, I just assumed it was part of growing older. But after noticing how terrible I felt I decided to go on an exercise and diet routine. Losing weight is hard work but it can be done, now I am in great shape. I know many people who are overweight and really do not do anything about it because they are not criticized about it, because the peer pressure about being thin is gone, so they just keep getting fat.

The only people who care about their weight anymore are people who are upper class, or whose job success is based on their appearance. On the other hand, the average working class American no longer really cares if they are overweight. Agree or disagree?

Last edited by Dingler; 04-23-2007 at 08:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 AM

9,537 posts, read 19,409,941 times
Disagree.

I think many people who are overweight feel terribly about it, but also powerless. If they are unable to lose weight they still have to accept themselves as good and worthwhile people.

I think our country's weight gain is mirrored by what is happening in other countries too. It is due to relative affluence, lack of day-to-day physical activity, and the ease that one can purchase ready-made high calorie food than it was in the past.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:48 AM

7,504 posts, read 15,969,677 times
I see alot of TV shows with really obeise people saying they are happy being 200+ lbs overweight and feel so sorry for them. I a probably 40 or so overweight and i feel terrible. I cannot breath as good as I could 40 lbs ago, so i know these people are suffering. I think they hide because they dont think they an do anything to loose the weight.

I eat the same foods and portions as I did before i left Ireland, but gained this weight. I do exercise more here, because I walk the dog and kids regularly and i also take the kids to the park, its not like im a couch potatoe.

Id love to see what ingredints the FDA approves for human consumption here, that they do not allow in Europe. All I can think of is ingredients.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:02 AM

2,814 posts, read 11,895,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I see alot of TV shows with really obeise people saying they are happy being 200+ lbs overweight and feel so sorry for them. I a probably 40 or so overweight and i feel terrible. I cannot breath as good as I could 40 lbs ago, so i know these people are suffering. I think they hide because they dont think they an do anything to loose the weight.

I eat the same foods and portions as I did before i left Ireland, but gained this weight. I do exercise more here, because I walk the dog and kids regularly and i also take the kids to the park, its not like im a couch potatoe.

Id love to see what ingredints the FDA approves for human consumption here, that they do not allow in Europe. All I can think of is ingredients.
American food, even if it's technically the same as what you ate in Ireland, is different than what you had there I think BrianH. We inject hormones into our cattle to help them grow more and do all kinds of chemical enhancements that I don't think are done elsewhere. America basically poisons its food. I've seen thin Europeans come here and get chubby quickly.
I think your Irish food is more natural and healthier.

As for people across America getting fatter, I've noticed the opposite. When I lived in the San Francisco Bay area through 2000, obese people were rare to see, especially in the City.
When I moved to Las Vegas and began to see the influx of Americans from all over the country down on the Strip, I was shocked. I didn't realize so many were obese, including the kids. (have you noticed that overweight kids are now common on tv commercials, even for food?).
When I went to Germany last time (it had been 8 years since my last trip there before that), I was pop-eyed at how many huge people I saw. I didn't remember obesity being an issue there. And in Paris, just the opposite, people are generally slim and in excellent shape.
But since I moved to the Springfield, Missouri area, I've been pleasantly surprised to see how many people of all ages are really fit. Most of the middle-aged and older people are only slightly plump or actually slim. There are still very obese people, but not enough to give the impression it's common here. And I read somewhere that about 10 years ago Springfield was considered the most obese city in the USA. I don't know what happened, but it's clearly not now.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 AM

Ive definately put on a bunch of weight. I dont remember my manboobs being this big back home.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
American food, even if it's technically the same as what you ate in Ireland, is different than what you had there I think BrianH. We inject hormones into our cattle to help them grow more and do all kinds of chemical enhancements that I don't think are done elsewhere. America basically poisons its food. I've seen thin Europeans come here and get chubby quickly.
That's true.
My friend moved to England about 2 years ago.
Portions are half the size that they are here. Even the fast food places use REAL meat, and it tastes so different.

Most of our food here is just c.rap
Sorry.. but it is. But, that is not the only reason for obesity.. but that certainly does NOT help.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:11 AM

13,459 posts, read 21,202,746 times
I think we are becoming a nation of couch potatoes, even our kids are imitating us(meaning adults). We SIT at the computer, we SIT in front of the tv. We SIT in our cars. We SIT at the kitchen table. We SIT at our jobs. We SIT on our lawnmowers. We SIT and blame everyone and everything for our fat rears.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:40 AM

blue62, i wish my kids would sit for five minutes!!!

I see what youre saying though. Too many people looking for the quick option too. Im sorry, but pills dont make you loose weight and be healthy. You may shed some pounds, but if you dont change your habits they will pile back on again.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:20 AM

769 posts, read 1,941,156 times
I disagree that there is no longer a stigma about being overweight. How else can the huge amounts of diets, pills, eating disorders be explained? I find it interesting that fashion magazines are touting "be happy with the shape/size you are". Then they have one "plus-size" model and 15 anorexic ones, or the "plump" women actually have normal weight.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:17 AM

14,506 posts, read 23,184,639 times
Lightbulb Not so everywhere-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post

As for people across America getting fatter, I've noticed the opposite. When I lived in the San Francisco Bay area through 2000, obese people were rare to see, especially in the City.
When I moved to Las Vegas and began to see the influx of Americans from all over the country down on the Strip, I was shocked. I didn't realize so many were obese, including the kids. (have you noticed that overweight kids are now common on tv commercials, even for food?).
When I went to Germany last time (it had been 8 years since my last trip there before that), I was pop-eyed at how many huge people I saw. I didn't remember obesity being an issue there. And in Paris, just the opposite, people are generally slim and in excellent shape.
But since I moved to the Springfield, Missouri area, I've been pleasantly surprised to see how many people of all ages are really fit. Most of the middle-aged and older people are only slightly plump or actually slim. There are still very obese people, but not enough to give the impression it's common here. And I read somewhere that about 10 years ago Springfield was considered the most obese city in the USA. I don't know what happened, but it's clearly not now.
The OP has a point. In S Florida it will be noticed if you are 10 lbs overweight. Cosmopolitan areas with hugh visibility or jobs where you are the focal point- you DO need to be aware- and it seems most people are. You will not be a job candidate if you are obese/overweight.

Now in Tennessee- I could not believe what I saw when I first moved here. Also- I dont consider fast-food acceptable, whereas people here do- every day.

I am vegetarian and would never eat 95% of what the people here eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness