U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,136,634 times

Advertisements

The doctor ordered some blood work be done on me about ten days ago. He called me today telling me my thyroid levels are in the tank. I knew I had a low thyroid and have been taking 125 milligrams of Synthroid once daily for the past year. He wrote a new prescription increasing the dose to 175 milligrams.

Does anyone else here have a low thyroid? If there are symptoms, I don't feel them...at least I'm not aware of any. How does having a low thyroid affect you? Does medication bring the level to where it's supposed to be?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:48 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,578,000 times
well, I had hypothyroidism and my endocrinologist pointed out to me that eventhough hypo and hyper are supposed to be different...of the 14 symptoms, hypo and hyper share 1o!
I just had a total thyroidectomy a few months ago and I am on 175mcg of the generic synthroid...
thryroid disease is a big vague per person kind of thing.
I have a friend who has Grave's disease which is an auto-immune disease of hyperthyroidism...she has zero symptoms though, so go figure.
Aren't you just mostly exhausted?

Last edited by bellalunatic; 07-30-2009 at 08:59 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 PM

15,636 posts, read 14,689,267 times
Low thyroid, hypothyroidism, does have side affects. Decrease in energy and in most cases, weight gain.

I take 25 mg of Synthroid and it keeps the thyroid level at the right level. The pills have not helped the lack of energy but I am basically a lazy person, anyway. It's good I am retired.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:16 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,045,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8doglove View Post
The doctor ordered some blood work be done on me about ten days ago. He called me today telling me my thyroid levels are in the tank. I knew I had a low thyroid and have been taking 125 milligrams of Synthroid once daily for the past year. He wrote a new prescription increasing the dose to 175 milligrams.

Does anyone else here have a low thyroid? If there are symptoms, I don't feel them...at least I'm not aware of any. How does having a low thyroid affect you? Does medication bring the level to where it's supposed to be?
Got told I had it also he gave me synthroid, a blue pill? I had a small
white one? Last blood stuff, perfect, I really do not enjoy pills. He did ask me
if I am tired, sure, who is not! I really do not see any change, however, for now I will be good! Now, I am every 6 months in for blood work, a big Yuck!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Got told I had it also he gave me synthroid, a blue pill? I had a small
white one? Last blood stuff, perfect, I really do not enjoy pills. He did ask me
if I am tired, sure, who is not! I really do not see any change, however, for now I will be good! Now, I am every 6 months in for blood work, a big Yuck!
Please tell me that you have an Endocrinologist, not just your gen. physician...

Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,959,107 times
Endo put me on synthroid when the nodule on my thyroid gland was discovered. he thought it might shrink it. It didn't.
What the synthroid did do was cause me to lose 8 pounds in less than a month.
On researching the whys of that, I discovered that people are using synthroid as a means to lose weight quickly. What I read was that it is being sold black market for that purpose.
Not sure if those who take it regularly have noticed it doing that. Or if it causes just certain people to lose weight. I dunno. I do know that I can't afford to lose a pound,much less 8 or more.
I refused to take it after that. Wasn't doing what the Endo wanted it to do anyway.

Last edited by Élan vital; 07-30-2009 at 10:52 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
Endo put me on synthroid when the nodule on my thyroid gland was discovered. he thought it might shrink it. It didn't.
What the synthroid did do was cause me to lose 8 pounds in less than a month.
On researching the whys of that, I discovered that people are using synthroid as a means to lose weight quickly. What I read was that it is being sold black market for that purpose.
Not sure if those who take it regularly have noticed it doing that. Or if it causes just certain people to lose weight. I dunno. I do know that I can't affors to lose a pound,much less 8 or more.
I refused to take it after that. Wasn't doing what the Endo wanted it to do anyway.
Weird. My GP put me on synthroid thinking I was hypothyroid after discovering nodules for me...I put ON 10 pounds in 2 weeks!!!??
I met with my Endo for the first time after that and he wasn't too surprised that a GP would make a mistake like that... he took me off of it and would've had me go on thyroid blockers...but I ended up toxic hypERthyroid and needed to get that 'lemon' of a thyroid out anyway.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,959,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Weird. My GP put me on synthroid thinking I was hypothyroid after discovering nodules for me...I put ON 10 pounds in 2 weeks!!!??
I met with my Endo for the first time after that and he wasn't too surprised that a GP would make a mistake like that... he took me off of it and would've had me go on thyroid blockers...but I ended up toxic hypERthyroid and needed to get that 'lemon' of a thyroid out anyway.
that is weird. I'm perplexed

Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,684,974 times
Make sure they are also checking your B-12 and doing all the tests for T-3. Has anyone been checked for Hashimotos? My reg Dr. never found these things and a endo did.
Also synthroid may not be for you it sure was not for me.
You should not be tired if your medication is right. Also how is everyone's blood pressure and take a B vitamin complex your body will thank you for it!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,289,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Make sure they are also checking your B-12 and doing all the tests for T-3. Has anyone been checked for Hashimotos? My reg Dr. never found these things and a endo did.
Also synthroid may not be for you it sure was not for me.
You should not be tired if your medication is right. Also how is everyone's blood pressure and take a B vitamin complex your body will thank you for it!
Very good information! My 10 year old daughter has Hashi's (autoimmune thyrioditis) and it was the endo that figured it out. Her pediatrician found the low thyroid - her original TSH was 69! The weird thing with her, was the thyroid condition was found by "accident" - she had no symptoms. It just showed up in a blood test! It may be coincidence, but she didn't seem to get symptoms until she was being treated with Levothyroxine...

Anyways, we basically went through hell for about a year, and I ended up taking her to a Naturopath that has worked wonders for her. She still takes 25mcg of Levothyroxine, but also takes daily supplements (B12 being one - vit D is important, too) that are really helping her symptoms.

gr8doglove - Just be aware of how you are feeling. If something doesn't feel right, don't be afraid to "get pushy" if you need to to get the doctor's to listen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness