Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:08 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times

Advertisements

My sister in law and her son say the have Lyme disease and they say they've had it for years and that there is no cure. Does anyone here have it or know about it. I find it very strange they could have it for so long. Is that possible? They also say they got years ago and it didn't come out in them for several years, is this possible? I've never hear of anyone having it for so long with no cure. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 01:44 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
I'm not an expert but this is what I know (fact of fiction?)

Lyme disease can lay dormant
Lyme disease, if caught early and treated, can be cured

I used to be a pharamcy technician and this is what I heard in conversation

Old 04-20-2007, 04:18 PM

But what if it's not caught early, is it not curable?

Old 04-20-2007, 04:35 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
Default Search on Google.com "lyme disease cure" or "lyme disease treatment"

According to: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu...saic/lyme.html

TREATMENT
Lyme disease is treated with antibiotics. Timely treatment increases chances of recovery and may lessen the severity of any later symptoms in both animals and man. The most effective treatment will be recommended by your physician or in the case of your animals by your veterinarian and will depend on the stage of the disease. Treatment for later stages is more difficult often requiring extended and repeated courses of antibiotic therapy. In animals and man treatment failures and relapses are reported.

According to: http://www.acponline.org/lyme/patient/treatment.htm

Treatment
Lyme disease is treated with one of several antibiotics. Usually, these antibiotics are given by mouth, though they may need to be given intravenously in some severe cases of Lyme disease, especially if the nervous system is involved.
For most cases of early Lyme disease, antibiotics should cure the infection. In late stage Lyme disease, symptoms should improve but may not go away completely.
Even after treatment, a patient often still tests positive for anti-Borrelia burgdorferi antibodies. However, continuing to test positive for antibodies does not mean that the patient still has Lyme disease.
Antibodies, the body's defense system against infection, will not necessarily go away once all the Lyme disease-causing bacteria have been killed. If symptoms continue or worsen after treatment has ended, contact your doctor.

According to: http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/HC/Treatment/0,4047,991,00.html (broken link)

How is it treated?
Lyme disease is treated with antibiotics such as doxycycline, amoxicillin, azithromycin, and ceftriaxone. When treated in the early phases, Lyme disease is curable in most patients with a short course (4 to 21 days) of antibiotics. When treated early, patients often have a fast recovery. Late phase Lyme disease is treated with longer courses of antibiotics (28 to 56 days). Treatment in the late phases of Lyme disease does not always grant a cure. Some patients suffer from the disease with recurrent symptoms for years.

Good luck

Old 04-23-2007, 08:54 PM

341 posts, read 1,486,730 times
Both myself and my son have it. We moved from the desert to Southern Indiana onto a farm. I found myself gawd awful ill in May. Rash, extreme joint pain, fever etc. No clue what was wrong. After a week of agony & a high fever I went to the doctor who wanted to immediately hospitalize me. I had two rounds of antibiotics(doxy) and yes the damage done is a LIFETIMES worth! I'm fairly young & yet suffer from arthritis. It damages organs. I have never felt 100% since. Slow recovery too. I was bitten on my knee and the tick was as big as the period at the end of this sentence. And yes, we'd been using repel. My son was bitten in June right after me and we never found his bite site. Not uncommon. He was unable to play basketball for 3 years from joint pain! He will do better than I will as he's younger & we caught it sooner. Lyme Disease is so underestimated & sadly unknown.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:58 PM

[quote=Coyote_Blond;617632]Both myself and my son have it. We moved from the desert to Southern Indiana onto a farm. I found myself gawd awful ill in May. Rash, extreme joint pain, fever etc. No clue what was wrong. After a week of agony & a high fever I went to the doctor who wanted to immediately hospitalize me. I had two rounds of antibiotics(doxy) and yes the damage done is a LIFETIMES worth! I'm fairly young & yet suffer from arthritis. It damages organs. I have never felt 100% since. Slow recovery too. I was bitten on my knee and the tick was as big as the period at the end of this sentence. And yes, we'd been using repel. My son was bitten in June right after me and we never found his bite site. Not uncommon. He was unable to play basketball for 3 years from joint pain! He will do better than I will as he's younger & we caught it sooner. Lyme Disease is so underestimated & sadly unknown.[/QUOTE

So is it possible for a person to have this their whole life? How long after you were bitten was yours discovered? Do you feel tired a lot? I'm just trying to understand this better.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:28 PM

[quote=I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA;617933]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
Both myself and my son have it. We moved from the desert to Southern Indiana onto a farm. I found myself gawd awful ill in May. Rash, extreme joint pain, fever etc. No clue what was wrong. After a week of agony & a high fever I went to the doctor who wanted to immediately hospitalize me. I had two rounds of antibiotics(doxy) and yes the damage done is a LIFETIMES worth! I'm fairly young & yet suffer from arthritis. It damages organs. I have never felt 100% since. Slow recovery too. I was bitten on my knee and the tick was as big as the period at the end of this sentence. And yes, we'd been using repel. My son was bitten in June right after me and we never found his bite site. Not uncommon. He was unable to play basketball for 3 years from joint pain! He will do better than I will as he's younger & we caught it sooner. Lyme Disease is so underestimated & sadly unknown.[/QUOTE

So is it possible for a person to have this their whole life? How long after you were bitten was yours discovered? Do you feel tired a lot? I'm just trying to understand this better.
We were bitten in 2002 and yes we'll have it lifelong. Or at least the symptoms. Yes, fatigue is a factor. It lessened in 2006. I felt like I had zero energy. My son was the same way and he's a child! Mostly we went thru life on autopilot doing what HAD to be done. My biggest fear is being bitten again.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 PM

Oh and I didn't discover mine for at least 9 weeks. My son's was pretty quick. I knew what I was seeing by then. Everyone's different too. My rash came LAST. His rash came first! Rash is a BIG CLUE! It's an under the skin splotchy deal.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:43 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
ILNC, are they saying they have "active" Lyme disease or antibodies? Big difference!

Like Coyote and others said, if caught early, it is reversible (curable); if not caught early, the resultant side effects are increased; if not caught at all, more damage to the neurological and other systems.

Some fact does seem to be missing in what they report. Perhaps they caught it; didn't recognize the symptoms (much like a flu) and were later diagnosed as having "had" LD without proper treatment. I don't know for sure, but I don't believe it has a latent period.

I guess I'm confused now too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
My sister in law and her son say the have Lyme disease and they say they've had it for years and that there is no cure. Does anyone here have it or know about it. I find it very strange they could have it for so long. Is that possible? They also say they got years ago and it didn't come out in them for several years, is this possible? I've never hear of anyone having it for so long with no cure. Any thoughts?

Old 04-24-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
ILNC, are they saying they have "active" Lyme disease or antibodies? Big difference!

Like Coyote and others said, if caught early, it is reversible (curable); if not caught early, the resultant side effects are increased; if not caught at all, more damage to the neurological and other systems.

Some fact does seem to be missing in what they report. Perhaps they caught it; didn't recognize the symptoms (much like a flu) and were later diagnosed as having "had" LD without proper treatment. I don't know for sure, but I don't believe it has a latent period.

I guess I'm confused now too!
They say the have active Lyme disease and that they were bit years ago. I don't know, it just seems odd to me that it could be this bad for so long, but it seems like maybe it could. Maybe I'm awful for doubting if they're really sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness