U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 10:09 AM

444 posts, read 655,175 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I started having tremendous pain in my left wrist, a result of either my new puppy pulling me while we walking, or of loading too many full plastic grocery bags on my wrist to carry up to my second floor apartment.

I put off going to the doctor because of not having health insurance in the contractual position I was in. I eventually went though to the orthopaedic clinic, where a physician assistant xrayed my wrist and said there were no fractures and that it was tendonitis. He gave me two options - applying Voltaren gel for a while to see if the pain subsided, or to get a cortisone shot. I opted for the first choice, to find out that it didn't nelp. So, I went to see the orthopaedic doctor, who then gave me a cortisone shot and told me to buy a hand brace.

For about three weeks I was pain free. I didn't always wear the brace because it has been so hot that it was uncomfortable. I have worn it at night and while driving places. Here I am now, with all the pain back again, along with swelling, as before. I still have no insurance and the job I had ended, leading me to now be on unemployment while job seeking. I called the doctor's nurse, asking what options I have now. She called back and said I should come in to see the doctor to discuss this. What does this mean? Going in and incurring an office visit charge just to talk, something I don't have the luxury of considering right now. What's he going to recommend? Probably either repeating the cortisone (although it's probably not administered this frequently)...?...or surgery (out of the question at this point in my life)...or medication (I don't like the idea but will do it to deal with the pain). He knows my case, saw and examined my wrist already, so why can't he just prescribe something without my going in to pay him more money for a 10 minute conversation?

Would physical therapy help? Or acupuncture? I know I can't either gratis but I do know a physical therapist who could set up a payment plan, and I've had acupuncture for other things in the past. Any other ideas from anyone? Homeopathic or herbal treatments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 11:04 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Physical therapy probably would help. You ned to wear the brace day/night until the pain subsides.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:36 PM

3,704 posts, read 9,094,038 times
I have tendonitis in my right arm. My doctor has given me my "limit" of cortisone shots - I think I got 2. The only option for me is physical therapy. If you do enough Internet searches, you might be able to find the exercises on a web page. My sister, who worked in an orthopedic office, sent me a link for mine - it's in my upper forearm though. Also, when you Google it, try using the spelling tendinitis - I think that's the official medical spelling for it.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:35 PM

Also, once soft tissue has been damaged, it never gets back to where it was before. Meaning, it will be easier to re-injure next time, as the OP has already found out.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the notes. Along with the pain, it's starting to feel very discouraging too, like you saying that it won't be what it used to be, but then I'm finding that out with other things, i.e. the eyes, etc. being just a little over 50. What's the "OP" you're referring to, SouthernBelleInUtah? I'll bet it's something easy to figure out but I can't at the moment.

Yes, I'll keep on Googling too - either spelling is acceptable - lots of links on Google.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:09 AM

original poster.

Some things get back to nromal or better: cataract surgery, laser eye surgery, plastic surgery. But soft tissue injuries are notorious for being much easier to re-injure the 2nd time around, or 3rd time, etc.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:26 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,842,374 times
Maybe a bottle of B6 is worth a try:

Pyridoxine (B6) supplementation has been shown to -- Cure carpal tunnel syndrome and eliminate need for surgery. Ref - www.lef.org (search carpal tunnel)

In several research studies, vitamin B6 deficiency has been associated with carpal tunnel syndrome.
Carpal Tunnel Relief - Best Natural Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatments

OH -- I just read more carefully -- maybe it's not carpal tunnel!! Sorry!

Old 08-03-2009, 05:52 PM

I'll look into B6 too. Over the weekend a friend mentioned folic acid as well...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness