U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 08:22 AM

6,550 posts, read 12,606,614 times

Advertisements

This morning apparently he woke up, was a little cranky, wouldn't take his bottle.

Finally he drank his bottle and promptly threw up, turned whitish gray all over and got really lethargic and went almost limp.....

EMS comes out but before they arrived he was fine.... Back to normal, color back....

He's now eating fine and his normal self...

What on Earth WAS that???

Did he just have a sour stomach or something?

Did he ingest something he shouldn't have?

Very weird....
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Could have been some type of seizure. I think he needs to go to the pediatrician right away.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:18 AM

3,422 posts, read 9,432,996 times
Call your pediatrician. It might be a vasovagal episode, but I am not licensed to practice medicine so you really should consult with your HCP.

Let me relate a story to you:

Mine used to have vomiting episodes every couple of months where he would wake up looking quite pale and "off", would vomit, sometimes twice in an hour, then pink up and be ok. It happens maybe once or twice a year now that he is school-aged. He never lost consciousness, but he surely looked terrible right before he vomited and got better.

Our ped said it was probably vasovagal (some people faint under stress, he vomits).

Old 08-05-2009, 03:57 PM

2,518 posts, read 9,690,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
This morning apparently he woke up, was a little cranky, wouldn't take his bottle.

Finally he drank his bottle and promptly threw up, turned whitish gray all over and got really lethargic and went almost limp.....

EMS comes out but before they arrived he was fine.... Back to normal, color back....

Very weird....

This happens ALL the time..ALL THE TIME. Every month or so we respond to this type of call. He aspirated (inhaled) some formula, but then promptly threw it all up. He turned colors because he was not getting enough oxygen. Infants are very sensitive to respiratory insufficiency.

To prepare you...once he starts getting fevers, cycle children's Tylenol with Motrin. Key thing is to cycle them....one dose of tylenol followed a few hours later by a dose of Motrin. And remember to NOT BUNDLE HIM UP. Febrile seizures are very common. It's not how high the temp is, but how quickly it gets to the point that causes the seizure.

Good luck in your "newborn"

Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,653,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
This happens ALL the time..ALL THE TIME. Every month or so we respond to this type of call. He aspirated (inhaled) some formula, but then promptly threw it all up. He turned colors because he was not getting enough oxygen. Infants are very sensitive to respiratory insufficiency.

To prepare you...once he starts getting fevers, cycle children's Tylenol with Motrin. Key thing is to cycle them....one dose of tylenol followed a few hours later by a dose of Motrin. And remember to NOT BUNDLE HIM UP. Febrile seizures are very common. It's not how high the temp is, but how quickly it gets to the point that causes the seizure.

Good luck in your "newborn"

Only use medicine if the child is uncomfortable. Otherwise leave the body alone when it has a fever. It's a natural response and the body needs all the energy it has. It doesn't need to be pumped full of tylenol making it focus on digesting that, it's got better things to do.

And children who have seizures from fevers are usually fine. And you wouldn't even know they had a fever because it happens so quickly. So there is NO point in medicating a fever because if you know your kid has one he/she is already in the clear of having seizure.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:12 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,516,023 times
I hope your little one is feeling better, Rhett.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:23 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,163,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Only use medicine if the child is uncomfortable. Otherwise leave the body alone when it has a fever. It's a natural response and the body needs all the energy it has. It doesn't need to be pumped full of tylenol making it focus on digesting that, it's got better things to do.

And children who have seizures from fevers are usually fine. And you wouldn't even know they had a fever because it happens so quickly. So there is NO point in medicating a fever because if you know your kid has one he/she is already in the clear of having seizure.
i avoid tylenol at all costs for myself.
people give it to baby's?!!!
isn't it toxic to the liver?
and again, for a baby?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
i avoid tylenol at all costs for myself.
people give it to baby's?!!!
isn't it toxic to the liver?
and again, for a baby?

This is just one article on the subject. My daughter's Ped has warned us about it for a while. She's a regular doc who supports vaccines and antibiotics when needed but she warned me about acetaminophen right at the beginning.

Plus I'm not to comfortable giving my kid one more chemical to add to the mix.

I can understand giving it to kids when they are in some real uncomfortable situations but it not warrented just because an illness or teething or other ailment is present.

Kids need hugs and kisses and cuddles and rest and food and water when sick.

If they are REAL sick they need more than tylenol

FDA Report Urges Tougher Acetaminophen Warning - US News and World Report

Of course I hope your little one is feeling better as well. I know absolutely nothing about what happened to him and I have no advice. However, the FIRST part of Heydad's post sounds like something that is a good possibility.

I always say, if it happens once it's a coincidence. If it happens twice it sounds like a relationship. If it happens a third time it's a pattern and something is up.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:13 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,443,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post

Very weird....
Maybe he aspirated a little formula?? Whatever you do, be sure to hold baby upright when feeding. Don't forget the burping either...

Tylenol is safe for babies when given the right way and not combined with any other meds containing acetaminophen. Fevers are very uncomfortable for babies. Teething is very painful as well. Talk to your babies doctor. Get a dosing chart for infant tylenol. Heydad's info on rotating meds is correct.
The warnings are out there because parents are combining too many meds with the same active ingrediant (acetaminophen) and before they know it, they have given too much. Tylenol is not dangerous when used right.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Maybe he aspirated a little formula?? Whatever you do, be sure to hold baby upright when feeding. Don't forget the burping either...

Tylenol is safe for babies when given the right way and not combined with any other meds containing acetaminophen. Fevers are very uncomfortable for babies. Teething is very painful as well. Talk to your babies doctor. Get a dosing chart for infant tylenol. Heydad's info on rotating meds is correct.
The warnings are out there because parents are combining too many meds with the same active ingrediant (acetaminophen) and before they know it, they have given too much. Tylenol is not dangerous when used right.

Yes. That is exactly why the warnings are getting stricter, because acetaminophen is in so many things and parents may be giving it by dif sources. Also, the dosing charts for small children/babies are not on the packaging but soon will be.

The thought of rotating drugs for a baby are fine for some. But in reality a drug like that will do nothing for the illness itself. Yes it helps with the pain but that is it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness