U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 02:39 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,432,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
I've been using the nuvaring for four years. Why would it all of a sudden, for no reason, start causing problems now?
I'm thinking it is causing problems now because the Flagyl did something to your pH balance or something and made you more sensitive to the local side effects of the Nuva Ring. Its possible you have a sub-clinical mild infection that an anti-fungal will take care of in short order.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 02:55 PM

641 posts, read 1,728,535 times
Sorry, Rose! I missed you.

It's not a throbbing. It's a burning and ONLY when touched/rubbed/messed with. It's kind of like a hornet's nest - lol

No, neither of us drink Gatorade. It's gross and salty like berry sweat.

And it could be. I think I'm going to pass on the nuvaring for a while and see what happens.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:55 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,119,501 times
Quote:
Sorry, Rose! I missed you.

It's not a throbbing. It's a burning and ONLY when touched/rubbed/messed with. It's kind of like a hornet's nest - lol

No, neither of us drink Gatorade. It's gross and salty like berry sweat.

And it could be. I think I'm going to pass on the nuvaring for a while and see what happens.
Your body can become allergic to something you've used with no problem in the past at anytime. It may only be a conicidence that you took flagyl and become allergic at the same time. I hope this works for you.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 8,886 times
I was thinking it might be related to the nuvaring as well. I came across this googling flagyl side effects. I have a term paper due in two weeks and I am barely functional.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 PM

Good luck, Turtle!

It's a weird, killer drug. You'll find a lot of people swearing off the stuff when you google it. I, personally, will never take it again. There has to be some alternative.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:09 PM

7,139 posts, read 12,890,687 times
Here is a BV website. Tea tree oil capsules can be used also.

Treating Bacterial Vaginosis with Tea Tree Oil

Old 08-26-2009, 03:04 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
Many people will have a bad reaction at times to antibotics and it can mimmic other intestinal diseases.Usually it will go away in time.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:07 AM

5,706 posts, read 12,815,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Have you ever heard of a condition called vulvodynia? This can cause burning type pain long after infection or whatever is resolved. I would just suggest you consult the best gyn in your city (get references/recommendations from your local CD forumers if necessary) and see what they think. Ask them specifically if they think this could be a form of vulvodynia.

Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment on MedicineNet.com

Hope you feel better soon. I had a several months of dealing with something similar when I was in my 20's following a yeast infection, but I don't think I took Flagyl. Eventually, it resolved itself.
Vulvodynia/Vulvar Vestibulitis

Old 08-29-2009, 02:44 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,884,628 times
Quote:
This is (kind of) really personal, so I'm going to try and be brief while at the same time asking for any help anyone can give.

Last January (actually, the day after Christmas), I had what I thought was a yeast infection, pretty standard lady-stuff. Tried the over the counter stuff, but it didn't seem to pan out, so I forked over the money to see a doctor. This was a new doctor, she was nice and I liked her, so I trusted her. She said I had BV and gave me the generic of Flagyl, metronidazole. I forget for exactly how long; I think about a week, two or three a day.

I experienced the normal side effects - namely the awful taste in my mouth and a completely whacked out digestive system. I was told to not fool around with the hubs, so I didn't notice the rug-burn like sensation where it mattered - get my drift? - until it was too late.

So, all these months later, there's no more infections - everyone's happy. Except my digestive tract is still not right. It's like I'm still taking the medicine. I tried fiber pills and those work okay, but not as well as I expected. More importantly, all frisky business is now officially canceled until further notice, which is kind of crappy being married and all. There's no pain to wipe after peeing, no discharge, nothing gross. It just hurts - like a bad sunburn. You know when your clothes rub on your bright red shoulders - it feels like that to be touched.

Nothing helps. I'm thinking the Flagyl is still hanging around wreaking havoc. I can find some reviews or posts on medical forums of people complaining about neurologic side effects looong after they've taken the medicine, but nothing quite like this. If anyone has any suggestions (besides 'go see a doctor' - the last one I saw said there wasn't anything wrong and to wait it out), I'd be really grateful.

I'm thinking of maybe trying one of those 'body cleanse' diets - you know where you only eat white rice or something? I'm not sure. Maybe that'll get rid of it.

For the record, I'm twenty-something, otherwise healthy and use the nuvaring birth control, but no other medicine regularly.
I haven't read the entire thread yet but I'd contact the FDA to report this incident if it hasn't already been suggested. Their contact info is given in this consumer reports article Taking Metronidazole Oral from Consumer Reports Health. (http://www.consumerreports.org/health/prescription-drugs/metronidazole-oral/while-taking.htm - broken link)

If they get enough reports like yours they SHOULD stop marketing the drug.

Here's another one: Flagyl (Metronidazole) Drug Information: Uses, Side Effects, Drug Interactions and Warnings at RxList

To help you I'd be running not walking to my experienced Naturopath with experience in cases like yours. If you'd like, I'll give you contact info for mine and you can set up a phone appt. if you live out of the area. Just let me know. They'll know much better what to tell you to do.

Until then, I would say to treat this like a poisoning. If you are having a skin reaction your liver has also been damaged so I would get a good quality Milk Thistle to fortify your liver and take twice what is recommended on the bottle.By ehlping your liver you'll help your skin. I would get a good "green" drink such as KyoGreen that is dehydrated grasses that you mix a teaspoonful or two into juice and drink three times a day or so. That will be like giving yourself a blood transfusion. It is loaded with vitamin K which is a good antidote for poison. There are probably some detox homeopathics that might work. You might find some called "Detox" in a special "homeopathics" section in a health food store. You can also find some good "detox teas" and take one of those a few times a day. Drink plenty of water! Only do the above if you are not on any other prescription drugs. If you are, check with a pharmacist about interactions!

If your original post was brand new and you JUST started to experience the side effects, I'd say take charcoal tablets or powder to absorb the drug. But it is too late for that.

I hope ALL readers of your post have learned from your post if they haven't learned from other similar posts... to always QUESTION YOUR MEDICAL DOCTOR about the potential disadvantages of any "miracle" drug.

Instead, you all are FAR better off using safe home remedies (such as putting a peeled garlic clove in cheese cloth tied with a string and then in your vagina like a tampon and changing it daily for a week or two until the problem goes away). A simple garlic clove does WONDERS for curing vaginal infections. A master herbalist told me about it and I've never used anything other than that since she told me about it. It works like a charm and saves on doctors visits and on prescriptions or over the counter remedies AND IT DOESN'T make you worse than you were before!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:56 PM

Wow, thanks for seeing what I was trying to say there, Emily. I'm going to PM you and then hopefully this thread will go away 'cause I'm feeling a little shy after the fact - haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness