U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:10 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,130,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
This is (kind of) really personal, so I'm going to try and be brief while at the same time asking for any help anyone can give.

Last January (actually, the day after Christmas), I had what I thought was a yeast infection, pretty standard lady-stuff. Tried the over the counter stuff, but it didn't seem to pan out, so I forked over the money to see a doctor. This was a new doctor, she was nice and I liked her, so I trusted her. She said I had BV and gave me the generic of Flagyl, metronidazole. I forget for exactly how long; I think about a week, two or three a day.

I experienced the normal side effects - namely the awful taste in my mouth and a completely whacked out digestive system. I was told to not fool around with the hubs, so I didn't notice the rug-burn like sensation where it mattered - get my drift? - until it was too late.

So, all these months later, there's no more infections - everyone's happy. Except my digestive tract is still not right. It's like I'm still taking the medicine. I tried fiber pills and those work okay, but not as well as I expected. More importantly, all frisky business is now officially canceled until further notice, which is kind of crappy being married and all. There's no pain to wipe after peeing, no discharge, nothing gross. It just hurts - like a bad sunburn. You know when your clothes rub on your bright red shoulders - it feels like that to be touched.

Nothing helps. I'm thinking the Flagyl is still hanging around wreaking havoc. I can find some reviews or posts on medical forums of people complaining about neurologic side effects looong after they've taken the medicine, but nothing quite like this. If anyone has any suggestions (besides 'go see a doctor' - the last one I saw said there wasn't anything wrong and to wait it out), I'd be really grateful.

I'm thinking of maybe trying one of those 'body cleanse' diets - you know where you only eat white rice or something? I'm not sure. Maybe that'll get rid of it.

For the record, I'm twenty-something, otherwise healthy and use the nuvaring birth control, but no other medicine regularly.
Go to the health food store today and buy a good PROBIOTIC. It will replace the GOOD BACTERIA that your body needs to function properly.

While you are there, you might ask for advice on how to prevent any type of yeast infection using NATURAL means rather than blasting your body with more antibiotic junk.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 11:04 PM

641 posts, read 1,765,019 times
Thanks, Branson. Been there, done that, bought the shirt.

And 'good' probiotics are more expensive than gold. Who has money to throw away like that? I want to go live with those people. I buy the cheap ones.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,130,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
Thanks, Branson. Been there, done that, bought the shirt.

And 'good' probiotics are more expensive than gold. Who has money to throw away like that? I want to go live with those people. I buy the cheap ones.
It didn't help? wow, that is tough. You might try going on a very strict low yeast type diet. Google "Dough Kaufmann" and "Yeast". Very interesting stuff.

Good luck

20yrsinbranson

Old 09-10-2009, 06:15 AM

4 posts, read 40,860 times
Dear JillBoBill,
Actually I think I do understand. In the hospital and in some of the doctors in private practice I consult for, there are more and more symptoms that defy diagnosis. They cannot be defined as paradoxical side effects necessarily in the case of problems caused by medicines.

When I ask if the medicine could be causing the problem, they say no. Then when I ask what is causing the problem, they say they do not know. If they do not know, then how can they say that the medicine is not causing the problem.

In one case, several people all over town had the same unusual rash. There was no commonality (except that a few of those I got to interview did eat one food from the same store and they ate lots of it).

What makes these most insidious is that they do not go away, even after months. The doctors do not have the time or notion to become detectives to figure out things. Even the few I have researched in my specialty took months to find patterns.

I am suggesting rather than looking for an ingenious solution (or in addition to), consider an ingenuous solution.

Play detective. Look for something simple.

The body can and usually solves its own health issues. So, the question is, what is lacking or needed to help with this. What works and what does not work. The only way to know is to test. Become your own scientist.

Actually, discussing this as it is being done here will be a big part of the cure. It will of course provide answers you already have considered. It will likewise provide answers that are of no benefit or seemingly no benefit. It will do something else. It will get you to think and look for solutions that you may not have otherwise.

I did an experiment once. I had a toy that went together seven different ways. Unless told how to put it together, most kids could not figure it out more than two. In my test I had the kids tell me the various ways the toy parts could not go together. In so doing, they came up with the ways it could go together. They all came up with at least 5 and one came up with all seven. This happened every time I did the test.

So talking about it will help you find more ways that you cannot solve this problem. If you want to increase the chances of succeeding, just increase your failure rate.

Using the premise that the body can and usually does heal its self as a starting point ask...

What am I taking in that could be preventing my body from healing?
Aspartame, fluoride, NutraSweet, and MSG are listed as neuro-toxins in the medical journals. Am I exposed to some kind of toxins? Some kind of mold? Is there something in the water? Is a certain food I eat potentially the source of a toxin?

Acetaminophen allergy for instance has been misdiagnosed as lupis. It also uses up the bodies glutathione (immunity booster, detoxifier and master antioxidant). This is the one thing that might help. Do a search on Glutathione, cure, and any disease related to your symptoms.

What am I doing to help my body to heal (in this case correct the problems the medicine caused)?
You are already doing some of these.

What am I doing to detoxify my body?
This is tricky as there are a lot of things on the market and some are unsafe. Stick to the ones you can find on reputable medical journals. The stuff mentioned in an above post is in the Physicians Desk Reference. We do use it in the hospital. There are a number of foods that will help with this if you prefer a more natural approach. Interestingly, the cysteine stuff (whether from food, from a supplement (NAC which is the antedote to acetaminophen posioning given in the hospital) or from a nutracutical is associated with treating all the various symptoms you mentioned. Actually it is found to treat 69 different diseases or conditions.

And the last is rather fascinating but often under used. Look at allergies. Although this can be expensive to do medically, simply doing a bit of reading on the topic will provide a lot of information that will help you make a few changes. After studying this, I am a proponent of not taking supplemetns each every day and not forever unless your managing a disease or condition.

I obviously can not imagine what you have gone through. In all, it is my hope you find some relief if not a soultion.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:24 AM

11 posts, read 46,487 times
If your husband wasn't treated at the same time, then you still have the infection. "Trich" is a sexually transmitted disease and if you are in a monogamous relationship, then somebody has a secret that's about to come out.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 20,347 times
Perhaps you need ask your doctor about seeing a urologist. This could be a urinary infection or irritation. Additionally, I would ask about seeing a gynecologist about issues like endometriosis.

Your situation sounds eerily similar to mine. I, however, spent a year in the diagnosis merry-go-round (not fun). I was checked for every digestive and "womanly" disorder you can think of. In the end---it was a case of interstitial cystitis---a bladder condition. Since I was negative for urinary infection, they moved on to the other abdominal organs. However, this problem also makes intercourse painful and it can even seem to correlate with GI pain because the GI tract and bladder share some of the same nerves. It can cause pain during urination or just pain/swelling in the abdomen or back.

I would agree that after taking a broad spectrum antibiotic like flagyl, you really should take SOME kind of probiotic--to assist you in you re-populating your GI with healthy intestinal flora. It really kills everything---and you don't want to leave room for nasty bacteria like c-diff (clostridium difficile) or yeast to overgrow in place of good intestinal bacteria.

Also consider endometriosis and the like...these can also cause similar problems---and are often necessary to rule out before an IC (interstitial cystitis).

Lastly, diaries are priceless... keep track of what you eat, when you feel certain kinds of pain and other potential factors. You can even find templates online for certain conditions like endometriosis. If you provide your doctor with this kind of data, it helps to streamline the diagnostic process--as well as enabling you to see patterns in your behavior/symptoms.

Keep your chin up---"troubles don't last always" (as they say)

Good luck...

[Note: I had irritation from nuva ring and had to stop using it--may you should determine if the onset of your symptoms corresponds with your nuva ring use

Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 19,776 times
Angry Flagyl is Ruining My Life

I can relate to much of what you all write. Flagyl is ruining my life. I tested positive for Giardia about a month ago. I stopped taking Flagyl about 2 1/2 weeks ago, but weird things have continuously happened ever since. First my foot swelled and was in excruciating pain, making it almost impossible to walk. After that healed, I got a sinus infection and severe headaches. That is not as bad as it was, but last night I had a high fever and was sweating all night, and it was 49 degrees outside. The weird thing is that every hour or so I'd get chills, then the sweats would return. I had a bad cough last night as well.

I'm almost always tired and the quality of my life is the pits. I lost 15 pounds and I'm already a thin guy. In summary, this sucks and I desperately want my life back!

Old 09-17-2010, 04:18 AM

1,681 posts, read 3,724,792 times
OK I know this is an old thread but what happened? It was her complaint about her vaginal orifice that no one got (the burn). So I was thinking that it could be a coincidence since there was trouble anyway. I can't see how Flagyl stayed in the system that long and created an unfriendly vaginal environment.
Does anyone know what happened?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:16 AM

8,394 posts, read 10,666,600 times
It's not that Flagyl stayed in her system that long. But, once it destroys the natural/normal flora, it creates an unhealthy environment. And, then the normal flora/environment has to be restored. But, who knows if her problem was urinary or gynecological or something else? She would have had to be examined.
I was prescribed Flagyl once--I threw it away and the infection went away. Maybe that was a coincidence. Ha. And, once prescribed an antibiotic for a non-symptomatic UTI which, coincidentally, also went away. Hmmm. Is there a pattern here?
But, I've also seen a person w/ a UTI go into sepsis without antibiotics. Not one size fits all for these things.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 09-19-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 11:12 PM

6,267 posts, read 18,727,725 times
I am taking flagyl now. Hope it doesn't cause anymore trouble. I find the best way to take this stuff is to take a Pepcid daily, wash the pill down with plain water and then I chase that with lemonade. This is keeping the stomach upset away and improving the taste that is left in my mouth after I swallow the pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness