U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 14,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I am taking flagyl now. Hope it doesn't cause anymore trouble. I find the best way to take this stuff is to take a Pepcid daily, wash the pill down with plain water and then I chase that with lemonade. This is keeping the stomach upset away and improving the taste that is left in my mouth after I swallow the pill.
I am a doctor and this is a very old thread, but I came across it when I was doing a quick search of the "lay literature" because a patient of mine is having terrible skin burning sensation that coincides with Flagyl treatment. You do not have; drug still in you, BV, a yeast infeciton, a need for garlic in your vagina, or most of the other things suggested here. You almost certainly have peripheral neuropathy caused by the Flagyl, it will likely fade with time but is extremely debilitating until it does. The most important think you can do is NOTHING ! Leave everything alone and keep healthy, any further irritation will lengthening the burning so cream, lotions, spices, etc will only make you worse. The medical therapy for this is taking a drug indicated for seizures called Neurontin but it is both expensive and provides only symptomatic relief so unless you are continuing to suffer a lot, I would avoid it.

Bets of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,421,873 times
nycmd- Maybe you can answer a question I have about flagyl. I was on it 5 days IV and orally while in the hospital being treated for C-diff and sent home with a Rx of it (a week or 10 days). I noticed in the hospital where the IV was right at my wrist, that wrist felt like it had sharp metal in it but it was mild and only when I moved my wrist a certian way so I didn't complaine.

Since being home, that wrist has gotten so painful, like sharp metal is in that joint, the forefinger and thumb, some days, I can't use that wrist for that pain. The other wrist hurts but not nearly as bad.... that IV was moved to that wrist but only briefly..

In the months since this sharp metal feeling has spread to my knees too..

I am thinking this is a side effect of that flagyl since none of these joints were any problem until I was in the hospital.. You ever heard of anything like this as a side effect for that drug?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 AM

43,284 posts, read 52,039,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Is it possible you now have a yeast infection due to the Flagyl? They don't always have the classic discharge. Might be worth trying an anitfungal cream to see if it helps.
That was my first thought as well. A lot of times you wind up prescribing diflucan to take after BV antibiotics because you'll get a rip-roaring candidal infection.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 14,426 times
Default flagyl is despicable!

Flagyl has given me the same symptoms I've seen blackboxed on Quinolone drugs! The last day I took it, I started having the metallic taste...and it was so bad that I was unable to exercise...it felt like metallic heartburn, which I'd never experienced before. I generally felt ill but nothing like vomiting--just a headache unable to be assuaged by ibuprofen.

A week later my right wrist was sore to bend. Then the pain spread to my thumb and forefinger. Then I experience joint pain in my right ankle, then left ankle, then left wrist and thumb...all the joint pain radiated toward my knees and elbows. Eventually the pain went up to my shoulder joints...I could barely get out of bed without help. My brain was screaming things like "Lupus" and "MS" and "Lyme disease"! My husband had to dress me. I tried several homeopathic remedies..because I was never taking another allopathic medicine again (in my resolution)!

I was crippled, contemplating buying bath chairs and motorized wheelchairs...lamenting my now useless masters degree since I would be unable to move let alone work. I pitied my husband who was going to be my nursemaid now....all at the tender age of 28 (both of us). I was lamenting my piteous state, remembering how only a week or two before I ran my first 4 miles in 41 minutes. I had been healthy and happy! I was now miserable to say the least!

I was crying and praying and thinking about euthanasia and which family member would make the decision to have me put to sleep. It was that painful, even with ibuprofen in my system.

I suddenly remembered I had pain pills from a surgery 6 years prior. I searched for them and found I had 4 or 5 left over. I thought it couldn't get any worse than what I was currently experiencing. So, I took one. Within 20 minutes I felt pain relief when I laid down on my bed. I took a nap because my right ankle sopped swelling when I was in a horizontal position. When I awoke I had little to no pain and was able to move a lot better than before. As I took the next pill, I could feel it was getting better. I couldn't believe it. I hadn't felt loopy from the pain pill like I remember feeling 6 years before but I figured it was on account of them being so old.

I googled the imprint on the pill bcz I wanted to know the wonderful pill that was saving me, even if only a temporary respite.

TURNS OUT...it was Keflex, a random antibiotic. As long as I took the Keflex (and a precautionary dose of Ibuprofen)...I was pain free. I could walk and smile and WORK. It was amazing. I could even dress myself and turn faucets!

I don't know why it works...my doctor doesn't know why it works....I think Flagyl must irritate or revive ( but not kill) a pre-existing bacteria that responds to Keflex's mechanisms...good news is...the generic Keflex (Cephalexin) is 4.00. I would gladly pay 4.00 forever if I knew I would live my life just as I had been before taking that stupid Flagyl!!!!!

If you're in doubt, I would at least give it a try. It's worked for me, by God's oh so precious mercy and grace. Maybe allopathic medicine isn't always so bad after all.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM

17,377 posts, read 20,655,766 times
Sorry to hear you experienced this, my husband was on flagyl two different times due to 2 severe diverticulitis attacks and he did not have a bad reaction. I hope you get well soon.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 12,942 times
I was given Flagyl for a stupid Mexico upset travelers stomach...It has ruined my life and career...

Old 09-27-2014, 10:32 PM

15,109 posts, read 19,531,061 times
My 13-year old doberman bloated/torqued a month ago. (Basically, bloat/torsion is where the stomach twists on its axis and, if surgery isnt performed immediately, the dog dies an agonizing death.) During the surgery, her spleen and part of her stomach, which had died as a result of lack of blood supply, were removed.

As part of her recovery, she was put on three antibiotics, one being metronidazole (Flagyl). Since the surgery, a month ago, she has refused to eat anything -- not freshly-cooked chicken, turkey or liver and not any of the foods she'd have scarfed down previously. She's had to be force-fed every bite of food. Naturally, this has adversely affected her recovery and she's getting weaker and weaker every day.

Thank goodness for this thread! I googled the side effects of metronidazole and learned that anorexia is a common side effect. I'm sure it's intensified by the fact that she's on two other antibiotics, both of which can cause an upset stomach. Neither the surgeon nor any of the vets treating her ever mentioned that anorexia might be a side effect. In fact, they seem perplexed about why she wont eat on her own.

She has to be on all the meds for at least another month. I'm going to contact both the surgeon and my own vet on Monday and ask if she can be given a substitute for metronidazole. The OP doesnt seem to post here any more but I want to thank her for starting this thread.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 25,176 times
I think it could possibly be a reaction to your nuvaring, or your bv did not clear up or it is the common yeast infection from the antibiotic since it wiped out all bacteria! antibiotics don't discriminate against good or bad bacteria, it gets rid of it all!

Old 12-09-2014, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 25,176 times
I am currently on day 2 of flagyl with no side effects except drowsiness and I am a bit irritable.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 9,233 times
Default Numbness Gone!

I suffer from an intestinal parasite (Endolimax nana), and I was prescribed metronidazole (Flagyl) at a daily dose of 1000 mg per day for a week. Every drug has its side effects, but I was particularly worried about the possibility of developing peripheral neuropathy since my father had suffered from that condition for many years. In spite of assurances from my physician, my feet went numb, with some additional numbness in my hands and wrists, not to mention the fact that the drug was ineffective against the parasite. Iím writing now in the hope that this will reach those of you have experienced similar side effects: I want to report that the neuropathy is in fact reversible and that you WILL eventually regain feeling in your extremities, though in my case itís taken nearly a year and a half. Flagyl seems to be one of the go-to drugs when it comes to unwanted intestinal micro-organisms, and Iíve learned two lessons in the meantime: thoroughly research any potential ďcureĒ (pharmaceutical or otherwise) before you ingest it, and donít blindly and naively trust the advice of any professional, including your physician. My position now is that taking Flagyl is very risky indeed because of its potentially neurotoxic and carcinogenic qualities, and you can be sure that Iím going to do a lot of homework before I take any drug in the future. As for those of you who suffer from Endolimax nana, I recommend that you look up the clinical studies on oregano oil and diphetarsone (or difetarsone), the latter of which isnít available in this country for some reason. Good luck, my friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness