U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:17 PM

641 posts, read 1,771,898 times

Advertisements

This is (kind of) really personal, so I'm going to try and be brief while at the same time asking for any help anyone can give.

Last January (actually, the day after Christmas), I had what I thought was a yeast infection, pretty standard lady-stuff. Tried the over the counter stuff, but it didn't seem to pan out, so I forked over the money to see a doctor. This was a new doctor, she was nice and I liked her, so I trusted her. She said I had BV and gave me the generic of Flagyl, metronidazole. I forget for exactly how long; I think about a week, two or three a day.

I experienced the normal side effects - namely the awful taste in my mouth and a completely whacked out digestive system. I was told to not fool around with the hubs, so I didn't notice the rug-burn like sensation where it mattered - get my drift? - until it was too late.

So, all these months later, there's no more infections - everyone's happy. Except my digestive tract is still not right. It's like I'm still taking the medicine. I tried fiber pills and those work okay, but not as well as I expected. More importantly, all frisky business is now officially canceled until further notice, which is kind of crappy being married and all. There's no pain to wipe after peeing, no discharge, nothing gross. It just hurts - like a bad sunburn. You know when your clothes rub on your bright red shoulders - it feels like that to be touched.

Nothing helps. I'm thinking the Flagyl is still hanging around wreaking havoc. I can find some reviews or posts on medical forums of people complaining about neurologic side effects looong after they've taken the medicine, but nothing quite like this. If anyone has any suggestions (besides 'go see a doctor' - the last one I saw said there wasn't anything wrong and to wait it out), I'd be really grateful.

I'm thinking of maybe trying one of those 'body cleanse' diets - you know where you only eat white rice or something? I'm not sure. Maybe that'll get rid of it.

For the record, I'm twenty-something, otherwise healthy and use the nuvaring birth control, but no other medicine regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 06:25 PM

3,854 posts, read 6,847,894 times
Default Oil of Oregano--better than Windex

I had a bad reaction to that stuff, too! NEVER again! I was so allergic to it that my whole body broke out in little hard bumps--a nurse friend said that was my body's way of getting rid of the toxin. I was so swollen that I couldn't get dressed or even walk. I had a fever and all the skin where I used the cream peeled off. I missed a fancy Christmas party and my date was really mad. I had to get Benedryl capsules, break them open and pour them directly where it hurt. Then I used Benedryl cream until it felt better. I think I used the whole tube of cream.

After that I use oil of oregano. I take the capsules every now and then and if I have a female problem I use cream with oil of oregano in it. Since then I haven't had any yeast or BV infections--at least six years.

I hope you feel better soon!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:36 PM

5,357 posts, read 9,821,707 times
Taking probiotics will help re-populate your intestines with the healthy bacteria that the Flagyl has destroyed. The best probiotics are refrigerated and found at your local health food store. Drug stores carry them, too, but usually not as good. You want the kind with the most live cultures.

It's always a good idea, when taking antibiotics to also take probiotics to help prevent the kind of intestinal upsets that you're experiencing. Many integrative physicians and pharmacists will advise you to do this...

Yogurt helps some, but at this point you need the more effective and concentrated probiotics...

Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM

Here's some additional information from Dr. Weil's web site that might prove helpful.

I find his advice reasonable as he looks at our health from a broad perspective and combines traditional medical practices with an integrative philosophy...hope this helps...

Bacterial Vaginosis, Women's Health, Vaginal Infection - Dr. Weil (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400292/bacterial-vaginosis-fighting-a-feminie-infection - broken link)

Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,781,314 times
Its too late now for a warning, but you must not literally touch alcohol in any form while on Flagyl. That means not only not dringking alcololic beverages, but nothing with alcohol can touch your skin, including moutwash, perfumes, any body product with anything alcoholic. My son was on that briefly, helped, no side effects, but everyone's different, hope you find an answer, OP.

I had "that' problem, too, I cleared it up by using twice the OTC dose for twice as long

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 PM

4 posts, read 41,400 times
Sorry you had to go through this. I know this is a while since you posted. If it is still a problem....

There was only one link to be found on short notice. 
 You can read it here [MRI and SPECT findings in a case of metronidazole...[Rinsho Shinkeigaku. 2005] - PubMed Result

There is an antidote.

One friend who had a similar problem decided not to continue the antibiotic route. Actually the first two antibiotics did not work. The third doc wanted to try yet another. Instead, an off label use of another product worked. It took a several months.

Mind you, the symptoms were similar to what you are talking of on the Flagyl.

Any way, the lady at Immune System Health Solutions, Your Guide to Living Well is quite knowledgeable. She can help you with one of the all natural version of cysteine.

The other version is the same thing we give to overdoses of Tylenol in the ER called NAC.

Both are extensively studied and are listed in the Physicians Desk Reference. I think the only contraindication is organ transplant.

To start doing some research, just type the keywords glutathione, disease for starters. Then add cysteine. You should get a number of abstracts from various medical journals.

This is one of the ways we detoxify mercury poison. Actually it is used for several types of toxicity's and removal of both toxins, toxoids and poisons.

The one from the lady above is covered by medicare in NY. In PA, where my friend lives, it is not. So my friend had to pay out of pocket. Actually several friends have used it for various things, including cancer and liver disease. All have had outstanding results.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 PM

641 posts, read 1,771,898 times
I appreciate all the answers, but I'm not sure some of you understood the issue. Steelworks, especially - I really appreciate the links, but I can't tell what you're trying to suggest.

It's not an infection. There's nothing wrong with the flora (although I do still take refrigerated, live culture probiotics every day). The issue is that the side effects of the medication (the medication ONLY, not the initial issue) have not gone away after many months.

Oh well, it was worth a shot. - Thanks again, guys!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:06 AM

Seems to me that if your regular doctor, who prescribed the medications, doesn't think anything's wrong and yet you're still having serious/annoying side effects that you need to consult a different doctor--perhaps a holistic-oriented doctor...and get to the bottom of this...

Most of us on C-D are only laypeople offering helpful advice to the best of our (limited) knowledge or experiences...I think you need a higher level of expertise to heal yourself...I sure would do that instead of going on a special diet or more self-treatment as you say your problems have been on-going for months...time for a new opinion and help.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 AM

10,596 posts, read 21,256,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
I experienced the normal side effects - namely the awful taste in my mouth and a completely whacked out digestive system. I was told to not fool around with the hubs, so I didn't notice the rug-burn like sensation where it mattered - get my drift? - until it was too late.

So, all these months later, there's no more infections - everyone's happy. Except my digestive tract is still not right. It's like I'm still taking the medicine. I tried fiber pills and those work okay, but not as well as I expected. More importantly, all frisky business is now officially canceled until further notice, which is kind of crappy being married and all. There's no pain to wipe after peeing, no discharge, nothing gross. It just hurts - like a bad sunburn. You know when your clothes rub on your bright red shoulders - it feels like that to be touched.

For the record, I'm twenty-something, otherwise healthy and use the nuvaring birth control, but no other medicine regularly.
When was the last time you saw your GYN?
In addition to the fire - are you throbbing?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 AM

3,422 posts, read 9,674,550 times
Is it possible you now have a yeast infection due to the Flagyl? They don't always have the classic discharge. Might be worth trying an anitfungal cream to see if it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness