U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 03:05 PM

1,587 posts, read 186,714 times

Advertisements

I have it. It's a drag and a half. Anybody else afflicted with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 10:17 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,777,484 times
About seven years ago I went to bed with a really bad ear ache. I woke up the next morning and the whole left side of my face and neck was paralysed. I actually thought I'd had a stroke. Scared the living daylights out of me.
It took about six months before I could properly drink out of a cup or close my left eye. I'm still not 100%. The muscles have not snapped back completely and I have some hearing loss in the one ear. By looking at me you can't tell that I had it, but I work my way around it.
I found it frustrating at first. I hardly spoke to anyone because I sounded like I was drunk. It was not a nice experience.
Hang in there. It does get better. Hopefully you'll recover 100%

Old 04-26-2007, 10:32 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,727,189 times
I had it about three years ago. Mine was on the left side of my face and down my neck. It took about 3 months before I gained major control of that side again. About 6 months before I couldnt tell visibly anymore. It took almost a year and a half b4 I could squint equally. The bad part was, working in an e.r. looking like a stroke victim. Dosent really give patients courage in you when you are treating them (so I thought). Anyway, make sure that you get it treated. Otherwise your effects may not go down soon if at all. IBPro and muscle relaxer untl you can get to a doctor. Just dont wait long. It sucks bad, but you will whoop it. The only good thing about it is, you will have a different look toward those people with long term visible problems. Expecially after you get some looks from perople wondering what the crap is wrong with you! lol

Old 04-26-2007, 11:34 PM

3,730 posts, read 10,895,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I have it. It's a drag and a half. Anybody else afflicted with this?
hi, i had it and didnot even know I had it. I found out when i was at medical for another reason and the doctor asked me how long i had it. I felt no pain etc. however i still cannot close my right eye alone. I need to close both. also when i smile it is lopsided. i was told there is nothing you can do about it.
oh after i had it, the doctor said a few other people who came into the office also had it.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:11 PM

Well, not such hot news.

Thanks, everybody...I'm hangin in there. It could be worse, I count my blessings.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:47 PM

It'll get better, honestly. It affects people differently. They think mine was brought on due to stress. Had something to do with nerve #7 in the brain!

Hang in there and give it time. Just like a broken bone it will eventually heal.

When did it happen to you?

Old 04-27-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
It'll get better, honestly. It affects people differently. They think mine was brought on due to stress. Had something to do with nerve #7 in the brain!

Hang in there and give it time. Just like a broken bone it will eventually heal.

When did it happen to you?
About a week ago. My girlfriend thinks it was stress, too.

It makes it hard to eat! I'm trying to eat a lot, I'm really too skinny.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 PM

Dedalus, I got back from a visit to my Dr. today. He thinks I was misdiagnosed. My symptons show all the signs of something called Ramsay Hunt Syndrome. A lot like Bells Palsey but with more complications. It's related to the Shingles virus.

I hope you are feeling better.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:56 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 11,100,284 times
Tet Tea.... It's actually called 7th Nerve Palsy.

Bell's Palsy affects different people differently and it happens for different reasons. There is no single right reason for it as far as I know and there are SOME treatments that can be done but none has been proven to really work. It is very uncomfortable to try to eat, drink but you adjust. Some people never get back to a completely normal look, some do, and some quicker than others.

As far as not being able to close the eye - THAT'S important. You must close your eye or you can end up with much worse problems - dry eyes which can lead to corneal decompensation/degeneration to a corneal transplant. You may have to patch the eye to keep it closed, at least when you go to sleep. Wear glasses/sunglasses to avoid air all the time. Worse comes to worse, you can get a eyelid "weight" that will help you keep it closed.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:35 PM

VP ... thanks. Unfortunately, I wish it was Bells Palsy which of course affects nerve #7. This is what I was diagnosed with initially but found out today it's not. Ramsay Hunt Syndrome is like Bells Palsy in the inital stages but is like the viral step brother of Shingles. I now have a ringing and pain in my ear and neck, my balance is off, I still have some paralysis on the one side of my face, have trouble with my eye and it is progressively getting worse. This is seven years down the road. There is some good treatment if caught early. Wish I had being diagnosed correctly in the beginning. I now have to go and have an MRI then start treatment (steroids I think) but it's yeah or nay if it will work for the long term.
Talking to the Dr. today, he said that stress seems to be the most common factor in triggering it. I've talked to other people who have had it and they have said the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness