U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM
m2y
 
28 posts, read 109,198 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hi All

Hope you are all mending/fusing/strengthening well and keeping up your spirits. What a life learning experience indeed!

I have a quick question and would appreciate hearing any experiences/advices: Did/do any of you have difficulty walking down the stair? I can walk up very easily & naturally i.e., one foot alternating up the steps. But coming down is quite different. I cannot alternate going down. I have to step down with my bad leg and then bring down my good leg on the same step. I cannot step off with my good leg first. When I try, my bad leg refuses to bend.

Thanks for any input into this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM
 
Location: OHIO
139 posts, read 528,610 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCG09 View Post
I am so happy that you are PWB already!! I had to wait 6 weeks!! You are on your way!!! Keep up with those exercises at home, very important!
I have tried even wearing my clog fall shoes with low heel and cannot stand to be in them more than 1 hour just puts too much strain but tennis shoes I have now are new Shape ups Try them you will definitely like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 03:32 PM
 
Location: OHIO
139 posts, read 528,610 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2y View Post
hmmm...that is interesting what your PT said about high heels. I too wore primarily tippy heels before all this (was known for my love of shoes). I tentatively tried on one of my sandals today to see what it feels like. The fear of falling at that height (2" is now TOO high ) was too much. I am hoping that in a year's time, all this too will pass. I am now struggling to find nice flats for work and knowing that I may have to alter all my pant hemlines to accommodate. But, considering the journey to get here, these are the types of challenges that I am grateful to be facing. Now, it's strengthening and getting rid of the pronounced limp!!
They have the Shape ups by sketchers in dress shoes also try them I feel you will like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 08:59 PM
 
Location: OHIO
139 posts, read 528,610 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2y View Post
Hi All

Hope you are all mending/fusing/strengthening well and keeping up your spirits. What a life learning experience indeed!

I have a quick question and would appreciate hearing any experiences/advices: Did/do any of you have difficulty walking down the stair? I can walk up very easily & naturally i.e., one foot alternating up the steps. But coming down is quite different. I cannot alternate going down. I have to step down with my bad leg and then bring down my good leg on the same step. I cannot step off with my good leg first. When I try, my bad leg refuses to bend.

Thanks for any input into this!
After 8 months I just tackled going down the stairs. First started out holding both rails to go down now after one week of going up and down the stairs at work using four times a day I went to holding only one rail and now after two weeks I can actually now go down the stairs without any hands. Since my ROM on my ankle is only 57% cannot go very fast down the stairs but feel after two weeks have accomplished this. PT taught me to step down first with bad leg and then good leg. Eventually after you do it awhile your bad leg that has refused to bend will be forced to bend. And yes it hurts sometimes hurts bad and I also use the steps to calf stretch. Don't rush it at first but practice helps. Bev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 09:08 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,253 times
Reputation: 10
Hello! I just turned 19 years old and was recently the passenger in a bad car accident. It was June 17, my friend was driving wrecklessly around 70 mph around a 25 mph curve and lost control of the car. She ended up smashing into a tree on my side of the car. I have little memory of the accident but ended up shattering my femur, tibia, humerus, scapula, and broke my foot and a few toes. I was lucky to be alive and not have any life altering injuries, not that mine weren't serious. I also lost two teeth (glass through my chin) and have to have implants this week. My friend walked away from the accident...I was in the hospital for almost three weeks and bed ridden for about 2 months( I'm finally able to leave the house!) I have some pretty serious scars from surgery...a rod and screws holding my femur together, plates and screws in my tibia, and some more plates and screws holding my humerus together. This was a pretty tramatic summer considering nothing like this has ever happened to me (no broken bones and such) but it was definitely a wake up call.. I started physical therapy around a month ago and am able to bend my leg about 100 degrees...i'm just really anxious to start baring weight on my leg!! Im sure you guys all know how frustrating it is not being able to get around...but it does take a lot of time, patience, and its very important to stay positive! The hardest thing for me was accepting everything. I didnt believe it was real. Well, now im recovering and doing alright...My heart goes out to all of you who are suffering from broken bones...i wish you the best and speediest recoveries <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 02:42 PM
 
Location: OHIO
139 posts, read 528,610 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy410 View Post
Hello! I just turned 19 years old and was recently the passenger in a bad car accident. It was June 17, my friend was driving wrecklessly around 70 mph around a 25 mph curve and lost control of the car. She ended up smashing into a tree on my side of the car. I have little memory of the accident but ended up shattering my femur, tibia, humerus, scapula, and broke my foot and a few toes. I was lucky to be alive and not have any life altering injuries, not that mine weren't serious. I also lost two teeth (glass through my chin) and have to have implants this week. My friend walked away from the accident...I was in the hospital for almost three weeks and bed ridden for about 2 months( I'm finally able to leave the house!) I have some pretty serious scars from surgery...a rod and screws holding my femur together, plates and screws in my tibia, and some more plates and screws holding my humerus together. This was a pretty tramatic summer considering nothing like this has ever happened to me (no broken bones and such) but it was definitely a wake up call.. I started physical therapy around a month ago and am able to bend my leg about 100 degrees...i'm just really anxious to start baring weight on my leg!! Im sure you guys all know how frustrating it is not being able to get around...but it does take a lot of time, patience, and its very important to stay positive! The hardest thing for me was accepting everything. I didnt believe it was real. Well, now im recovering and doing alright...My heart goes out to all of you who are suffering from broken bones...i wish you the best and speediest recoveries <3
My heart goes out to you for making it out alive. So how is it the friend who was driving had no injuries like yourself. You have youth on your side thats a plus. Keep staying positive. As for acceptance thats hard because even after 8 months of my shattered ankle,pilon fracture I still have trouble accepting this life altered fall but you just live the day thats it. My daughter had a friend she made it through a fatal accident she was in the back seat of car that hit a telephone pole head on unfortunately two guys in front seat were not so lucky but her friend she has not to this day ever remembered anything concerning the accident. The last thing she remembers is heading straight for telephone pole. So hang tough and keep up good PT work. Yes the road is long very long but sounds like you are doing alright. Just keep it up and now that you found this web site keep up informed. Bev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 02:46 PM
 
Location: OHIO
139 posts, read 528,610 times
Reputation: 37
So everyone something strange has happened to me with my injury last two days. I have had the god awful painful cramping in ankle area up to my femur area. First time it happened it lasted 1/2 hr and the pain was so horrible but today it ankle seems more limber down in area where I could not bend it at all. Who would figure. Guessing I need to eat more food with potassium. I just never though I would feel cramping in this injured area every again since I have had no feeling since 1/14/09. God sure fooled me. Bev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 10:36 AM
 
16 posts, read 46,411 times
Reputation: 13
Bhosler,I am in the same boat as you with my ROM.I have 50-55% ROM...This is so frustrating for me because when i run I am unable to run properly and am lacking that extra movement that you need...I am 5 months post op and my therapist thinks that my ROM will not get any better...I was thinking of having the hardware removed if there is a possibility of increasing my ROM from what i have now....My ROM and nerve damage are the only things that are preventing me running and playing football properly again..I was wondering have u had hardware removed?And does it help your ROM?Any suggestions would b appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 06:19 PM
 
Location: OHIO
139 posts, read 528,610 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33333 View Post
Bhosler,I am in the same boat as you with my ROM.I have 50-55% ROM...This is so frustrating for me because when i run I am unable to run properly and am lacking that extra movement that you need...I am 5 months post op and my therapist thinks that my ROM will not get any better...I was thinking of having the hardware removed if there is a possibility of increasing my ROM from what i have now....My ROM and nerve damage are the only things that are preventing me running and playing football properly again..I was wondering have u had hardware removed?And does it help your ROM?Any suggestions would b appreciated!!
Hi Dave, You are right so frustrating. I did have my hardware removed 4/30/2009 3 1/2 months post op because my body was reacting to hardware. Before I had my hardware removed I have 5% ROM so I would say it helps my ROM improve somewhat but not like I wanted. But I had an OS who didnot grant me therapy at first after the hardware was removed and that affected my ROM. But OS did come around and now I am in final 18 sessions of PT with the hope of improving ROM to 70% per doc but I want more I want 80-85%. Since starting this new PT session with a more aggressive PT person I am walking sidways on treadmill walking incline working my way up to 7.0 on incline and I believe that is what is helping my ROM. Since buying that Shape up Sketchers these tennis shoes have enabled me to actually job on walking track not for very long but its a start so Dave there is hope just be determined that you can do it. My nerve damage,ligament damage,tendon damage is still healing. Everyday the area zaps me with electrical shocks and that is a good sign even though they say that cannot be determined until 12-18 months after your injury. Hang in there. They do make sketchers for men. Go on the web site and check it out. What a world of difference they make. Bev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 04:35 AM
 
16 posts, read 46,411 times
Reputation: 13
Thanks....Im still in 2 minds whether to get hardware out or not.Ya I have the same thing with the zapping and strange sensations...My big toe wont move at all and I had a nerve conduction test done recently and still waiting on the results...Hopefully my ROM will increase overtime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top