U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 09:17 AM

139 posts, read 528,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33333 View Post
Thanks....Im still in 2 minds whether to get hardware out or not.Ya I have the same thing with the zapping and strange sensations...My big toe wont move at all and I had a nerve conduction test done recently and still waiting on the results...Hopefully my ROM will increase overtime.
Dave you can help that movement along in big toe. You yourself can keep moving it with your fingers thats what I did in beginning and also keep tucking toe under to get some feeling and movement and each day you do it yes it hurts badly but then it starts to limber up. Just take your fingers and wiggle it back and forth about three or more times each day and see if that helps. It helped me. Bev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:08 AM

45 posts, read 276,614 times
Hi Everyone~
My surgery on Aug 31st went well. My post op was the other day and things are alright I guess. I am feeling great! Not much pain in the area of my break since surgery (Which is great!) but I am sore where they cut my ankle and cut through the tissue to remove the screws still. The doc said i have to massage scar area nnow because it is growing scar tissue and it feels so gross! Its all hard and lumpy.. looks ugly too. When I had staples from the first surgery...it healed perfectly and smoothly. I wonder why it is so different now...maybe because its the second time they cut me in the same spots. Its ugly .... thats all I know! Oh well...I can handle that I guess considering the pain I was feeling is mostly gone now. Yay!
I was shocked at how much better i am feeling already.
Go back for xrays in 2 weeks.

How is everyone doing?

Newlybroken.......how are thigns coming along for you? its been a week or so since I heard anything from you.

Nanny - hope all is well.

Green eyes....let me know how you are feeling/doing.

Linda

Old 09-17-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnj68 View Post
Hi Everyone~
My surgery on Aug 31st went well. My post op was the other day and things are alright I guess. I am feeling great! Not much pain in the area of my break since surgery (Which is great!) but I am sore where they cut my ankle and cut through the tissue to remove the screws still. The doc said i have to massage scar area nnow because it is growing scar tissue and it feels so gross! Its all hard and lumpy.. looks ugly too. When I had staples from the first surgery...it healed perfectly and smoothly. I wonder why it is so different now...maybe because its the second time they cut me in the same spots. Its ugly .... thats all I know! Oh well...I can handle that I guess considering the pain I was feeling is mostly gone now. Yay!
I was shocked at how much better i am feeling already.
Go back for xrays in 2 weeks.

How is everyone doing?

Newlybroken.......how are thigns coming along for you? its been a week or so since I heard anything from you.

Nanny - hope all is well.

Green eyes....let me know how you are feeling/doing.

Linda
So happy you are getting along okay. Hope your healing continues.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:05 PM

45 posts, read 276,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
So happy you are getting along okay. Hope your healing continues.

Thanks Bhosler!!!! You too!

Old 09-20-2009, 02:07 PM

4 posts, read 21,953 times
Default Broke tibia/fibula 7-18-09

Ok guys i broke my tibia and fibula 9 weeks ago today, July 18th. It was a compound fracture but the bone went back in on its own. A fourwheeler cut me off while on my dirtbike and i went over my handle bars. My leg broke over my MX boot. I was flown by helicopter directly to barnes jewish hospital. They are one of the top 10 hospitals in the US. I arrived there about 11:00 am and was in surgery by 2:00 pm. They inserted a titanium rod and 5 screws in my leg. I had pain for about a week out of the hospital but after that i was ok. I stopped taking the pain pills and didnt take anything because i had no pain.

Well after 2 weeks went by i went to see my doctor and he removed my cast, staples, and stitches. He gave me an airboot to wear and said no weight bearing what so ever. I had an appointment to see him in another 4 weeks. He gave me a prescription for physical therapy. I started physical therapy and had no pain doing any of the exercises. Those 4 weeks went by and i was doing good. Had full movement of my knee back and was only missing 3 degrees in my ankle.

I went and saw the doctor and he gave me permission to weight bear as tolerated and i didnt have to wear the boot. he left the room and i tried to walk but was not able too. I almost fell to my knees cause my leg had no muscle. I had no pain at all though. The doctor prescribed me 6 weeks of physical therapy and to see him in 6 weeks to see how i was doing.

It was a long weekend because of labor day and all so there was no PT on monday and i saw the doctor thursday so that was 6 days n my own. I walked on the crutches while putting weight on my leg. After a couple days i was able to put all my weight on my broken leg but had to use the crutches to balance. By day 6 i was able to take about 6 or 7 steps without my crutches at all.

I started PT and my physical therapist was really good, he was the same one i had before. He started me with exercises and and a couple more stretches. He also showed me how to walk with one crutch. I was starting to walk more without the crutches but still went back to them because it was tiring on my leg.

Monday September 14th
I went to physical therapy and it all started out good. Same exercises as last week. Then they made me put a ball on my back up against the wall and do squats. It hurt so bad. I didnt have any pain until this. It was excruciating. Once it was over i was a little sore. He had me do some walking on my crutches then let me go home. Later that night i felt good and was showing my parents how i could almost walk with no limp.

Tuesday September 15th
I woke up at 6:55 am to get ready for school and felt fine. I went that whole day and felt good. After school i went to my friends house and went with him to the humane society with his dog and everything. Nothing really out of the ordinary. Walked a bit without my crutches but it was all slow walking. I left his house and went home. Left my crutches in the car like an idiot and figured i would be ok. I mostly sat anyways. I would go from my room to the bathroom or something. All very short distances. I was sitting in my room and started to feel sick and my leg hurt. I took a shower and went to bed. It was about 9:30.

Wednesday September 16th
I woke up at 3:30 am and could barely put any weight on my leg, was running fever, and threw up. I went to the couch and went to sleep. I woke up around 2:30PM and i couldnt lift my leg and i didnt feel good. I called my orthopedic doctor and told him what was going on. He told me to ice it and come in on thursday the 24th. My parents looked at my leg and it looked fine. We figured i just did to much and hurt my leg or pulled a muscle. That night it hurt a lot more and we called the ER/Trauma center and talked to them. They said it sounded like i pulled a muscle and if it felt/looked any worst to just come in. I went to sleep.

Thursday September 17th
I woke up and my leg was still hurting very bad. Around 2:30 i got up to make something to eat and was up for about 30 minutes. When i came back my leg hurt very bad and the wound where the bone came out was really red around my scab. I called my mom and she left work to take me to the ER/Trauma Center. They took xrays and said everything looked fine. They did some blood work and it said my white blood count should be ten and it was 13. I had a small infection. I spent the night at the hospital and they gave me antibiotics through my IV. They gave me as much as they could within a 24 hour period. They also gave me some pain medicine so i would be able to survive. LOL.

Friday September 18th
I went home from the hospital around 5 and was able to move my leg now but it still hurt. I was also able to bend my knee again but still had pain.

Saturday the 19th
I woke up and spent the whole day just chilling on the couch. Leg still sore can put weight on it but cant actually flex with weight on my leg. Kinda weird.

Sunday the 20th
Same thing as saturday. Leg still gets sore with movement. I cant walk on it. I can put my leg on the ground but when i go to walk it hurts. Like when my ankle goes forward and my knee bends with weight on it i have pain. I don't have pain where the bone came out though. I have pain where they screwed the rod in.

Ok sorry that was so long and thank you if you read that.

My questions are does it seem like my leg is starting to reject the rod?
Is it rejecting the screws?
Does it only hurt because my legs infected?
How come all this time and no pain, infection?
Isn't weird that after all this time my leg now gets infected?
Do you think i should suck up the pain and try partial weight bearing?
Do you think my leg is just stiff now from not walking?
Should i try a warm wrap on my leg instead of icing it a lot?
Any advice you can give me is appreciated.

Thanks a lot
Tim

Last edited by B16aRS; 09-20-2009 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: fixed spelling

Old 09-21-2009, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 23,383 times
broke tib and fib 5 months ago running now wand walking with no limp or pain fixed with im nail and 4 screws x ray 23rd sep hope it unioned i think it has as last x ray showed calcifications and callouses forming around break site

Old 09-21-2009, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 23,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B16aRS View Post
Ok guys i broke my tibia and fibula 9 weeks ago today, July 18th. It was a compound fracture but the bone went back in on its own. A fourwheeler cut me off while on my dirtbike and i went over my handle bars. My leg broke over my MX boot. I was flown by helicopter directly to barnes jewish hospital. They are one of the top 10 hospitals in the US. I arrived there about 11:00 am and was in surgery by 2:00 pm. They inserted a titanium rod and 5 screws in my leg. I had pain for about a week out of the hospital but after that i was ok. I stopped taking the pain pills and didnt take anything because i had no pain.

Well after 2 weeks went by i went to see my doctor and he removed my cast, staples, and stitches. He gave me an airboot to wear and said no weight bearing what so ever. I had an appointment to see him in another 4 weeks. He gave me a prescription for physical therapy. I started physical therapy and had no pain doing any of the exercises. Those 4 weeks went by and i was doing good. Had full movement of my knee back and was only missing 3 degrees in my ankle.

I went and saw the doctor and he gave me permission to weight bear as tolerated and i didnt have to wear the boot. he left the room and i tried to walk but was not able too. I almost fell to my knees cause my leg had no muscle. I had no pain at all though. The doctor prescribed me 6 weeks of physical therapy and to see him in 6 weeks to see how i was doing.

It was a long weekend because of labor day and all so there was no PT on monday and i saw the doctor thursday so that was 6 days n my own. I walked on the crutches while putting weight on my leg. After a couple days i was able to put all my weight on my broken leg but had to use the crutches to balance. By day 6 i was able to take about 6 or 7 steps without my crutches at all.

I started PT and my physical therapist was really good, he was the same one i had before. He started me with exercises and and a couple more stretches. He also showed me how to walk with one crutch. I was starting to walk more without the crutches but still went back to them because it was tiring on my leg.

Monday September 14th
I went to physical therapy and it all started out good. Same exercises as last week. Then they made me put a ball on my back up against the wall and do squats. It hurt so bad. I didnt have any pain until this. It was excruciating. Once it was over i was a little sore. He had me do some walking on my crutches then let me go home. Later that night i felt good and was showing my parents how i could almost walk with no limp.

Tuesday September 15th
I woke up at 6:55 am to get ready for school and felt fine. I went that whole day and felt good. After school i went to my friends house and went with him to the humane society with his dog and everything. Nothing really out of the ordinary. Walked a bit without my crutches but it was all slow walking. I left his house and went home. Left my crutches in the car like an idiot and figured i would be ok. I mostly sat anyways. I would go from my room to the bathroom or something. All very short distances. I was sitting in my room and started to feel sick and my leg hurt. I took a shower and went to bed. It was about 9:30.

Wednesday September 16th
I woke up at 3:30 am and could barely put any weight on my leg, was running fever, and threw up. I went to the couch and went to sleep. I woke up around 2:30PM and i couldnt lift my leg and i didnt feel good. I called my orthopedic doctor and told him what was going on. He told me to ice it and come in on thursday the 24th. My parents looked at my leg and it looked fine. We figured i just did to much and hurt my leg or pulled a muscle. That night it hurt a lot more and we called the ER/Trauma center and talked to them. They said it sounded like i pulled a muscle and if it felt/looked any worst to just come in. I went to sleep.

Thursday September 17th
I woke up and my leg was still hurting very bad. Around 2:30 i got up to make something to eat and was up for about 30 minutes. When i came back my leg hurt very bad and the wound where the bone came out was really red around my scab. I called my mom and she left work to take me to the ER/Trauma Center. They took xrays and said everything looked fine. They did some blood work and it said my white blood count should be ten and it was 13. I had a small infection. I spent the night at the hospital and they gave me antibiotics through my IV. They gave me as much as they could within a 24 hour period. They also gave me some pain medicine so i would be able to survive. LOL.

Friday September 18th
I went home from the hospital around 5 and was able to move my leg now but it still hurt. I was also able to bend my knee again but still had pain.

Saturday the 19th
I woke up and spent the whole day just chilling on the couch. Leg still sore can put weight on it but cant actually flex with weight on my leg. Kinda weird.

Sunday the 20th
Same thing as saturday. Leg still gets sore with movement. I cant walk on it. I can put my leg on the ground but when i go to walk it hurts. Like when my ankle goes forward and my knee bends with weight on it i have pain. I don't have pain where the bone came out though. I have pain where they screwed the rod in.

Thanks a lot
Tim
patience took me 4.5months after im nail for broke ti fib to be able to walk and run pain free

Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Monday September 14th

Tuesday September 15th

Wednesday September 16th

Thursday September 17th

Friday September 18th

Saturday the 19th

Sunday the 20th

Thanks a lot
Tim
Welcome Tim to this site. Even though it seems most of us are on healing process I can tell you no one knows buy your OS doctor is you leg is rejecting the rod. My body did reject the hardware it had in ankle area . Even if they feel your body is rejecting it they will do everything they can to treat the symptoms so rod can stay in there long enough for all your bone healing. Once all your bone is healed then OS will discuss with you the hardware coming out. I myself had to suffer 15 weeks before surgery was performed to take hardware out you may have to also. Even though it was very painful for me to walk I walked with one crutch and bore the pain. Your leg muscles will be stiff from not walking. My muscles are still stiff from not walking all these 8 1/2 months now and PT is now getting area of injury to move. For me it took a very very aggressive PT person to take me to the level I wanted to be and finally after all these months the ankle is starting to move freely even though I will only get about 70% movement back. One thing you need to remember you need to be forcefull with your OS dr. I had to since I work for a surgeon I know how all surgeons are and you literally have to pry things out of them but do not be afraid to ask questions and demand the answers and settle for nothing less. Hang in there. Soon your night mare will be slowing down because I feel in my case it will never be over. No one can be the same again after going through an injury. Bev

Old 09-22-2009, 08:25 AM

189 posts, read 715,200 times
Hi All,
I haven't posted in a long while but I do check in frequently to read how everyone is doing. Not many "old timers" here , so that must mean life is getting back to normal! My injury was 8 months ago last week, the date passed and I didn't even think about it until later in the week......never thought that would happen. I still deal with some stiffnes in my ankle, mostly in the morning or after sitting for awhile. I am really not in any pain, my foot gets tired and achy sometimes , but I think it is still recovering from not walking for so long. I still do my ROM exercises every day and my ROM is pretty good, not quite 100% but very close so I am still working on it. I am working part time now at a new job, I did not go back to my old job where I got hurt, the work was VERY physical and my leg is still not quite ready for it, so I took this new opportunity and it is working out great! My right leg (the one I broke) is still a little weaker than my left, but it doesn't look like a "peg-leg" anymore and it is still getting stronger. I walk everyday, go to yoga 3 times a week and ride a bike 2 times a week. It feels so good to be getting my life back, when I am with family or friends, my leg is no longer the main topic of the day and that is good! I do not limp, even when walking fast. I cannot really run yet, have tried a little and I don't think I am ready for that yet. I was not really a runner before my injury, but I have 2 small grandchildren and want to be able to run with them, so I am working toward that. I just want to give some hope for those of you out there that are early in your recovery and let you know that life WILL get better. It is not easy and you really have to work hard, but it WILL get better. Use this site to get advise and support, it helped me so very much during those very difficult days during my recovery. It is tough for people to really understand what you are going through, but everyone here does know and understand your fears and worries and their support is priceless. Take care everyone, I wish complete recovery for you all and God Bless!
Much Love,
Nanny

01/15 tibial plafond fx, broken fib
01/16 plate & screws on fib, ext fixator on tibia
01/28 ext fix off, plate and screws on tibia ....... 2 plates , 16 screws total

Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 AM

189 posts, read 715,200 times
Quote:

Monday September 14th

Tuesday September 15th

Wednesday September 16th

Thursday September 17th

Friday September 18th

Saturday the 19th

Sunday the 20th

Thanks a lot
Tim

So very sorry about your injury Tim. You are still in the early stages of your recovery and you have youth on your side. When you begin to WB you will go through a whole new set of aches and pains. Your muscles, tendons and ligaments are weak from NWB and it can be painful when you begin to use them again. And yes, your leg will also be stiff from NWB. You have to really listen to your body as it will let you know how much to push through. There is pain that you will have to push through, but also pain that lets you know that you are doing too much and it is time to back off. Your PT should help you with this so you can know when to rest and when to push forward. Muscle pain and bone pain can be different, typically you can work through muscle pain to some degree, but bone pain can be a sign to back off, again working very closely with your PT will help you know what to do and when. You do not want to do too much too soon as that can lead to re-injury and you don't want to start back from square one. Ask your PT ALL the questions you have, if you do have a pulled muscle a warm wrap can help. I was very lucky and did not experience any infection and my body did not reject the titanium, but from reading past posts on this site those are things to look out for as it can sometimes happen weeks/months into your recovery so definately stay in close touch with your OS as well and do not hesitate to call if you feel something is not right. You know your body better than anyone and you will know if something is wrong, so you have to be your own advocate. I wish you all the very best in your recovery! Another website you may want to check out is www.mybrokenleg.com , you can click on the "Discussion" page and get alot of helpful info there as well.
Take care,
Nanny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness