U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:14 PM

45 posts, read 275,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele53 View Post
Yesterday I went to OS for another Xray being that it had been 2 months since last -- not much bone growth, if any and I used EBI bone stimulator for 46 days, 10 hrs a day! Dr. said Cigna is now using EBI - cheaper for them but requires longer hours vs. some of the others that can do same in 1 hour (go figure insurance companies)!! OS decided to have me start PT and walking on my leg using walker vs. crutches (for stability). For the next six weeks I will get PT and use bone stimulator and then we will do another Xray -- I'm already thinking I'm a candidate for a bone graft! But OS did say my break was pretty bad (tib/fib and ripped out of skin) and considering I'm not that far off target for healing! I did ask why others with "rod" seemed to be starting rehab, etc. sooner (then me with plates.) He said I couldn't do the rod being that I had a compound fracture (skin broke). Anyway, I got home and walked with walker to the bathroom - wasn't as bad as I thought BUT my heal does not touch the ground in boot at this time so all weight was on ball of foot. I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about overdoing it until I start with PT! Anxious to start PT on 8/31 (going on vacation next week so now I have to wait to start --- darn!)

Im having surgery ug 31st to have 2 screws removed because of such slow bone growth. These bones are probably the slowest helaing bones in our bodies! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 10:00 PM

26 posts, read 227,222 times
Busy week with 2 PT appointments (one tomorrow as well) and my OS appointment today. Very happy with how my pt is going, yesterday my pt said that with just one pt visit (and my exercises at home between visits) my rom increased from 75 to 90 in my knee....so the pain is worth it even though I have a ways to go to get my full rom back!!! Today my OS gave me a boot to wear at my appointment and I HATE it!!! It is so big, bulky and heavy....ugh!!! OS said that I need this support, it's too soon after my surgery to not have this support. He said that although my fibula has probably repaired itself, my tibia hasn't yet and until that bone is fused together it is risky to not have the support of a boot. He said that now (tomorrow will be 7 weeks since my surgery) is when the tibia really starts developing the bone growth and healing and that I should only be needing the boot for a month or two, until I am 100% weight bearing. Not sure why I am so frustrated....the boot is just horrible but I understand needing the support until my tibia has healed. I certainly don't want to compromise my rod and screws and my OS did say that people who have gone to weight bearing without the support of a boot before the tibia has healed enough have broken screws. So anyways.....guess I'll just have to get used to the boot....

Last edited by NCG09; 08-20-2009 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele53 View Post
Yesterday I went to OS for another Xray being that it had been 2 months since last -- not much bone growth, if any and I used EBI bone stimulator for 46 days, 10 hrs a day! Dr. said Cigna is now using EBI - cheaper for them but requires longer hours vs. some of the others that can do same in 1 hour (go figure insurance companies)!! OS decided to have me start PT and walking on my leg using walker vs. crutches (for stability). For the next six weeks I will get PT and use bone stimulator and then we will do another Xray -- I'm already thinking I'm a candidate for a bone graft! But OS did say my break was pretty bad (tib/fib and ripped out of skin) and considering I'm not that far off target for healing! I did ask why others with "rod" seemed to be starting rehab, etc. sooner (then me with plates.) He said I couldn't do the rod being that I had a compound fracture (skin broke). Anyway, I got home and walked with walker to the bathroom - wasn't as bad as I thought BUT my heal does not touch the ground in boot at this time so all weight was on ball of foot. I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about overdoing it until I start with PT! Anxious to start PT on 8/31 (going on vacation next week so now I have to wait to start --- darn!)

I am so happy that you will be starting PT!!! I think you will be surprised and delighted with how quickly you see results!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:47 AM

64 posts, read 308,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannyof2 View Post
Swimming and biking are great for cardio! Goodluck!
Hey Nanny...long time no talk. Hope all is well. For some reason I believe I was told before that swimming was never really a good cardio exercise? Has it worked well for you?

I was told I can do the biking and even the elliptical at the gym.

Wish me luck. I wish to lose the poundage from the past 6 months!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:49 AM

64 posts, read 308,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyes42 View Post
Does anyone have any tips for scars as for as fading them and dry skin over the scar? I have one huge scar over my shin where the car went into my leg and I have tried everything from vit e. cocoa butter and even utter cream it is so dry and itchy I cannot stand it. Most of my other scars are starting to fade some what but again not this one my leg is a mess and I cannot stand it. Thanks Margie

ps. I posted some pics of my leg on my profile
Hi Margie...On my scar on my knee I used, Vitamin E cream, Vaseline and a lotion specifically called "Scar off". I found those 3 have helped me.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 AM

69 posts, read 302,470 times
ufotlaw thanks very much I will have to see if I can find some of that scar off and try it!!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 AM

189 posts, read 711,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofTLaw View Post
Hey Nanny...long time no talk. Hope all is well. For some reason I believe I was told before that swimming was never really a good cardio exercise? Has it worked well for you?

I was told I can do the biking and even the elliptical at the gym.

Wish me luck. I wish to lose the poundage from the past 6 months!

Hi UofT Law,

Hope all is well with you too!! Swimming is great and you can get some cardio too. After I warm up , I do some 1 lap sprints intermittently throughout the workout, you can really get your heart rate up doing this. Also using swim fins and a kickboard can really work your legs and ankle, vary the kicks using flutter kick, front, back and side, and also a dolphin kick, front, back and sides (this one really targets the bum!) Do some sprints with the kickboard too, resting in between sprints. If you do try the fins, take it easy the first couple of times to make sure your ankle can take it. I cool down with some squats, leg lifts, one legged toe raises and walking and stretching all in the pool.

At 6 1/2 months post op, I am doing much better! For the past 3 weeks, I have been able to walk 30-40 min. EVERY Day! I do this regardless of what other workout I may have done that day and vary the intensity depending on my other workouts. Yoga class Mon, Wed, Fri. , this is really helping to "balance" my body. My rt. side is still weaker and I modify and do what my body allows, but I am getting stronger. I swim and/or bike once or twice a week too. The 10+ pounds I gained during this time is FINALLY starting to come off! I still ice my ankle about once a day after working out, but it is feeling pretty good. ROM is improving too, but it is slow. I only limp first thing in the morning, after sitting for awhile or in the evening when my ankle is tired. Oh, and more so when I am barefoot.

I hope this info is helpful for you and that you are doing great in your recovery!! Let us know how the weight loss goes! I think you are younger than me , so you have that on your side too!

Take Care.....Much Love,
Nanny

Old 08-23-2009, 03:41 PM

9 posts, read 32,698 times
Default sanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyes42 View Post
Does anyone have any tips for scars as for as fading them and dry skin over the scar? I have one huge scar over my shin where the car went into my leg and I have tried everything from vit e. cocoa butter and even utter cream it is so dry and itchy I cannot stand it. Most of my other scars are starting to fade some what but again not this one my leg is a mess and I cannot stand it. Thanks Margie

ps. I posted some pics of my leg on my profile
I had a nasty scar on my forehead that I had sanded down by a plastic surgeon; $500 and it's a smooth as ever' doesn't tan the same but very happy with results.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:23 PM

I would love to hear some PT stories and how quickly folks who had a tib fib fracture were back to walking without walker/air boot/crutches/canes. I started my 2nd week of PT (4th session was today) and I am only bearing maybe 15% of weight....I just want to be back on my own two feet soon and my recovery just isn't coming fast enough for me (almost 8 weeks post injury/post surgery).

Old 08-24-2009, 11:46 PM

4 posts, read 41,059 times
okay, so I had my first appointment with my doctor, and he told me hes so confident in the strength of the rod+bone that I could jump up and down on my broken leg and it wont damage it at all. has anyone else's doctor told you that? seems somewhat odd... but it feels very strong, I'm still pretty scared to put alot of weight on it. although I did slip on the stairs and subconsciously caught myself with my broken leg and I'd say I put 85% of my weight on it and it didnt seem to hurt much although I did feel some pain. just trying to get some others opinions on this. it was exactly 2 weeks post surgery when I had that appointment with the surgeon. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness