U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2009, 02:54 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
9 posts, read 43,089 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Wow, it's been a long while since I read the board here. I am 10 months post surgery. I have a rod and 10 screws. My tibia and ankle had pilon fracture. At my last OS visit in June, the bones were still healing. I have been using a cane since February. I finally gave up the cane about 2 weeks ago. I never really used the air cast like the OS said to use it. I was back to work by April 1st. I stayed on my feet about 12 hours a day and the swelling just wouldn't allow me to wear the air cast. I still have minor swelling in the ankle, but nothing to worry about.

I remember when I was non weight bearing. I thought I would go crazy. It was a horrible time period in my life. Once you start PT things will start to move along much quicker than non weight bearing time. It's best to have alot of family support. I still limp and may always limp, not sure about that yet. But I can go down steps by myself without doing the one step at a time. I dont need any help walking and have two free hands now. That means more than anything. I do notice how people will stare at me with or without my cane. It didn't bother me with the cane, but now it does without it...........go figure.
The hardest thing to do is to keep your spirits up. By getting back to the work I love, it may recovery much better for me. I own a plant nursery and being in the greenhouses around all the flowers and working at my own pace made a HUGE improvement for me. I hope everyone continues to improve and hangs on to their sanity during the rough months of recovery.
Donny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2009, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Northern California
26 posts, read 227,214 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrunner4 View Post
okay, so I had my first appointment with my doctor, and he told me hes so confident in the strength of the rod+bone that I could jump up and down on my broken leg and it wont damage it at all. has anyone else's doctor told you that? seems somewhat odd... but it feels very strong, I'm still pretty scared to put alot of weight on it. although I did slip on the stairs and subconsciously caught myself with my broken leg and I'd say I put 85% of my weight on it and it didnt seem to hurt much although I did feel some pain. just trying to get some others opinions on this. it was exactly 2 weeks post surgery when I had that appointment with the surgeon. thanks
I have heard so many different things! My PT told me that he has treated folks with a tib fib fracture within a week after their surgery and they were encouraged by their doctor to go full weight bearing! I think I have a conservative OS because he had me non weight bearing for 6 weeks....and then at 7 weeks he gave me the air boot to wear for further protection....good luck to you and happy and quick healing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 PM
m2y
 
28 posts, read 108,739 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCG09 View Post
I would love to hear some PT stories and how quickly folks who had a tib fib fracture were back to walking without walker/air boot/crutches/canes. I started my 2nd week of PT (4th session was today) and I am only bearing maybe 15% of weight....I just want to be back on my own two feet soon and my recovery just isn't coming fast enough for me (almost 8 weeks post injury/post surgery).

OK, so here's a breakdown of my progress:

1. In fiberglass cast for 2wks post-sx: NWB
2. 2wks post: Switched to aircast; 20lbs weight-bearing
3. 4wks post: told to add 10lbs of weight per day
4. Stopped wearing aircast inside home to allow greater flexibility of ankle jt
5. 8wks: tossed away one crutch (wept with joy)
6. 9 wks: started walking without crutch v. small distance (across a room)
7. Present time (almost 12wks post): still wear aircast when outside of home & one crutch just in case. At home, no aircast & manage to walk without crutch (but with a severe limp). Not quite there to stand only on bad leg for any length of time yet.

**Saw my OS last week & his suggestion was to completely wean off of aircast & crutch by 2-3wks. He would like to see some more progress on bone growth as this x-ray did not look much different from July's. Did anyone have this as well earlier in their healing & what was the outcome??? He told me not to worry but it is hard not to fear the worst.

Hope my one example is helpful but as you know, everyone will progress differently. One thing I am sure of is that once you start PT, the progress improves exponentially. You'll soon be there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2009, 02:56 PM
 
Location: england
8 posts, read 62,832 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCG09 View Post
I would love to hear some PT stories and how quickly folks who had a tib fib fracture were back to walking without walker/air boot/crutches/canes. I started my 2nd week of PT (4th session was today) and I am only bearing maybe 15% of weight....I just want to be back on my own two feet soon and my recovery just isn't coming fast enough for me (almost 8 weeks post injury/post surgery).
Hi , I am six weeks from surgery for broken fib and tib, 1 plate and 8 screws, returned to hospital for 4 days last week for infection of stitch site,IV antibiotic drip. ladidah dah.they let me out but am still on oral anti biotics for 2 weeks....went back in to see OS on Monday and now full weight bearing, no boot, and only use crutch if tired. Walk with a lovely rolling gait though, which I sincerely hope will get better as I concentrate more on heel to toe action, and of not sticking my foot out to the side. Still sleep with leg raised on pillow, and ankle somewhat nearish to normal in the morning, but swells up by evening. OS says that I can start PT next week if the infection has gone.. seems to me that if I am now limping along, that I should be doing PT now but there we go! Cannot tell you enough how great it is to be able to carry things and have mobility again. Patience is a virtue that we all have to learn, I know that I still would fail the exam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 AM
 
45 posts, read 275,340 times
Reputation: 19
ANY INFO????????????????I am having surgery monday to remove two screws in my ankle. I would like to know how long I might be laid up from this and also how long I might be back on crutches again. Any ideas?ThanksLinda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 PM
 
45 posts, read 275,340 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrunner4 View Post
okay, so I had my first appointment with my doctor, and he told me hes so confident in the strength of the rod+bone that I could jump up and down on my broken leg and it wont damage it at all. has anyone else's doctor told you that? seems somewhat odd... but it feels very strong, I'm still pretty scared to put alot of weight on it. although I did slip on the stairs and subconsciously caught myself with my broken leg and I'd say I put 85% of my weight on it and it didnt seem to hurt much although I did feel some pain. just trying to get some others opinions on this. it was exactly 2 weeks post surgery when I had that appointment with the surgeon. thanks

My goodness. When I was at 12 weeks post op my doc told me only 50% weight because even with the titanium rod in there that my bone and the rod could not support full weight yet. I think all these doctors are just nuts! haha They all just say what they want to say because of their personal preference. I know a LOT of people here who walked WAY before I did. My doc is paranoid I guess.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 PM
 
45 posts, read 275,340 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrunner4 View Post
okay, so I had my first appointment with my doctor, and he told me hes so confident in the strength of the rod+bone that I could jump up and down on my broken leg and it wont damage it at all. has anyone else's doctor told you that? seems somewhat odd... but it feels very strong, I'm still pretty scared to put alot of weight on it. although I did slip on the stairs and subconsciously caught myself with my broken leg and I'd say I put 85% of my weight on it and it didnt seem to hurt much although I did feel some pain. just trying to get some others opinions on this. it was exactly 2 weeks post surgery when I had that appointment with the surgeon. thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2y View Post
OK, so here's a breakdown of my progress:

1. In fiberglass cast for 2wks post-sx: NWB
2. 2wks post: Switched to aircast; 20lbs weight-bearing
3. 4wks post: told to add 10lbs of weight per day
4. Stopped wearing aircast inside home to allow greater flexibility of ankle jt
5. 8wks: tossed away one crutch (wept with joy)
6. 9 wks: started walking without crutch v. small distance (across a room)
7. Present time (almost 12wks post): still wear aircast when outside of home & one crutch just in case. At home, no aircast & manage to walk without crutch (but with a severe limp). Not quite there to stand only on bad leg for any length of time yet.

**Saw my OS last week & his suggestion was to completely wean off of aircast & crutch by 2-3wks. He would like to see some more progress on bone growth as this x-ray did not look much different from July's. Did anyone have this as well earlier in their healing & what was the outcome??? He told me not to worry but it is hard not to fear the worst.

Hope my one example is helpful but as you know, everyone will progress differently. One thing I am sure of is that once you start PT, the progress improves exponentially. You'll soon be there!!



Hi There ~~~
It sounds like you are doing well really. my x rays did not show much progress at all until the one I had done 2 days ago at my appointment. I am scheduled for surgery monday to have screws removed from my ankle (2) to give the bones more room to move together to promote more bone regrowth. 2 days ago was the first time the doc said that it was finally starting to grow more correctly. She is still going ahead with my surgery tho. The new bone growth happened on after me stop using crutches, boot and everything. And yes it has been painful as heck!!! Some days are worse than others. But I am improving a lot. My limp is getting much better except on the bad days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2009, 02:28 PM
m2y
 
28 posts, read 108,739 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnj68 View Post
Hi There ~~~
It sounds like you are doing well really. my x rays did not show much progress at all until the one I had done 2 days ago at my appointment. I am scheduled for surgery monday to have screws removed from my ankle (2) to give the bones more room to move together to promote more bone regrowth. 2 days ago was the first time the doc said that it was finally starting to grow more correctly. She is still going ahead with my surgery tho. The new bone growth happened on after me stop using crutches, boot and everything. And yes it has been painful as heck!!! Some days are worse than others. But I am improving a lot. My limp is getting much better except on the bad days.
Thank you Lynn, I appreciate you sharing that. I will try not to let my mind stray to unwelcoming thoughts. Just came back from the pool where a nice lady there ran home & brought me instructions on water therapy for leg injuries. One thing (among many) that this experience has taught me is the surprising kindness among strangers.

Good luck on your surgery, wish you all the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Atlanta native 40 years too long
289 posts, read 432,081 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCG09 View Post
I would love to hear some PT stories and how quickly folks who had a tib fib fracture were back to walking without walker/air boot/crutches/canes. I started my 2nd week of PT (4th session was today) and I am only bearing maybe 15% of weight....I just want to be back on my own two feet soon and my recovery just isn't coming fast enough for me (almost 8 weeks post injury/post surgery).

I shattered my right ankle and my fib/tib. I took extra time to heal...i spent 4 months in a wheelchar (i hate crutches/walkers) Walked with a severe limp for a few months. Was back to riding a bicycle at around 7 months. At 10 months was walking normally.

One thing I reget is using my good leg too much. For 6 months I put all my weight on my left leg and now i have pains around my left back right above the belt level. Seems all that weight compressed something in my back.

I wish I had taken it slower cause now I have a healed leg but an annoying back problem from walking on one leg too much.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Northern California
26 posts, read 227,214 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy2008 View Post
I shattered my right ankle and my fib/tib. I took extra time to heal...i spent 4 months in a wheelchar (i hate crutches/walkers) Walked with a severe limp for a few months. Was back to riding a bicycle at around 7 months. At 10 months was walking normally.

One thing I reget is using my good leg too much. For 6 months I put all my weight on my left leg and now i have pains around my left back right above the belt level. Seems all that weight compressed something in my back.

I wish I had taken it slower cause now I have a healed leg but an annoying back problem from walking on one leg too much.

Good luck

Thanks for your story....totally understand the back pain thing. When I first started weight bearing (at 6 weeks post op) I was using my good leg as well 100% of the time. I would be standing on my two feet and thinking "wow, I'm standing, look at me!". But I was standing with all my weight on my good leg and for the first two days my back was killing me! Thank goodness for PT, they showed me a weight shift exercise and it has helped me tremendously to focus on equally bearing the weight. Glad your leg has healed and I am sure there are some exercises you could do to strengthen your back. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top