U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2009, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Northern California
26 posts, read 131,769 times
Reputation: 23
Thank you to those who shared their PT stories. Everyone is so different in regards to their healing, weight bearing, etc. Even the OS's are so different with their protocol!!! Congratulations to all of you who have made it (or are making it) through this ordeal - never thought a broken leg would be this huge of a deal!! I definitely agree that PT has absolutely been amazing. In the 6 PT sessions I have had, my ROM in my knee has gone from 75 to 117!!! (140 is normal per my PT). My goal is to be walking without a walker (never have used crutches) by October 24. This is the day of my son's last soccer game of the season and I want to walk across the field all by myself!! It will be OK to me if I have to wear my air boot (funny how I'm a walking target on the soccer fields...either me, my wheelchair or my walker has gotten hit by a runaway ball!!), probably safer to have that protection on a soccer field. Anyways, continued healing to all of you.....this forum has been such a good outlet for me and please continue to share stories....those of you who are back on your feet and those of you who are trying to back on two legs!!! Happy Saturday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2009, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
175 posts, read 381,179 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnj68 View Post
ANY INFO????????????????I am having surgery monday to remove two screws in my ankle. I would like to know how long I might be laid up from this and also how long I might be back on crutches again. Any ideas?ThanksLinda
Why are you having the screws out and how long has it been since surgery?

I broke my tib/fib in November, and in April they took out two larger screws due to infection. I stayed NWB for the weekend (surgery was on Friday) and on Monday was allowed to WBAT. I had to go back to the boot again because the doctor was not ready to let me walk completely unassisted without the hardware, but it felt so much better after the surgery. HUGE difference.

I've heard of people walking immediately after screw removal and others who were NWB for a week or two. It all depends on how much healing you've done so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 11:48 AM
 
Location: OHIO
139 posts, read 310,293 times
Reputation: 34
linnj
When I had all my hardware taken out I was NWB for only one day by second day I was toe tapping on one crutch and by fourth day back to FWBT only thing that hurt was staples and fact that OS went little deeper this second time when he took out the hardware. In fact 4 months later for some reason that area still bothers me. So on Wed 9/2 I go to OS to finally get an xray taken of the ankle after the hardware has been taken out. I feel at this point after 8 months I want to see how my lft ankle has healed and what I can expect in coming months. Outside of my ankle looks wonderful but I hate how it feels inside and absolutely hate only having 57% ROM.... so everyone out there wish me luck on Wednesday. Good Luck on your upcoming surgery linnj. Christina hope you are doing well and NCG so glad you are doing so well. We all have made wonderful accomplishments since our injury. Bev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 08:33 PM
 
45 posts, read 160,812 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
Why are you having the screws out and how long has it been since surgery?

I broke my tib/fib in November, and in April they took out two larger screws due to infection. I stayed NWB for the weekend (surgery was on Friday) and on Monday was allowed to WBAT. I had to go back to the boot again because the doctor was not ready to let me walk completely unassisted without the hardware, but it felt so much better after the surgery. HUGE difference.

I've heard of people walking immediately after screw removal and others who were NWB for a week or two. It all depends on how much healing you've done so far.


The surgery to have the 2 screws removed is becauause my bone is still not healing correctly and she says that by removing the screws it will give the bone room to move so it can grow together better. Im excited. Ready to have it done. I am in a ton of pain all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 AM
 
Location: Canada
64 posts, read 193,458 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyes42 View Post
ufotlaw thanks very much I will have to see if I can find some of that scar off and try it!!!!
Margie...no problem...tell me how it goes when you do find it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 AM
 
Location: Canada
64 posts, read 193,458 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannyof2 View Post
Hi UofT Law,

Hope all is well with you too!! Swimming is great and you can get some cardio too. After I warm up , I do some 1 lap sprints intermittently throughout the workout, you can really get your heart rate up doing this. Also using swim fins and a kickboard can really work your legs and ankle, vary the kicks using flutter kick, front, back and side, and also a dolphin kick, front, back and sides (this one really targets the bum!) Do some sprints with the kickboard too, resting in between sprints. If you do try the fins, take it easy the first couple of times to make sure your ankle can take it. I cool down with some squats, leg lifts, one legged toe raises and walking and stretching all in the pool.

At 6 1/2 months post op, I am doing much better! For the past 3 weeks, I have been able to walk 30-40 min. EVERY Day! I do this regardless of what other workout I may have done that day and vary the intensity depending on my other workouts. Yoga class Mon, Wed, Fri. , this is really helping to "balance" my body. My rt. side is still weaker and I modify and do what my body allows, but I am getting stronger. I swim and/or bike once or twice a week too. The 10+ pounds I gained during this time is FINALLY starting to come off! I still ice my ankle about once a day after working out, but it is feeling pretty good. ROM is improving too, but it is slow. I only limp first thing in the morning, after sitting for awhile or in the evening when my ankle is tired. Oh, and more so when I am barefoot.

I hope this info is helpful for you and that you are doing great in your recovery!! Let us know how the weight loss goes! I think you are younger than me , so you have that on your side too!

Take Care.....Much Love,
Nanny
Thanks for the tips Nanny....it's just great to know I am not using a cane anymore. After almost 6 months, I am able to walk on my own. Still limping of course but enjoying that I can do it on my own without any assistance from cane or crutch. I only walk on my own two feet now. I walked through an amusement park and even danced a but at a friends wedding - I even did a limpy version of the twist without the cane's assistance. Feeling great!

I will definitely try swimming, stationary bike and elliptical in the gym. In terms of swimming, it has been 6 months but I still worry a bit thinking that I shouldn't be jerking my legs up and down rapidly like that since it hasn't "all" mended. Guess I shouldn't have to worry.

Thanks.
UT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 03:43 AM
 
Location: Canada
64 posts, read 193,458 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCG09 View Post
I would love to hear some PT stories and how quickly folks who had a tib fib fracture were back to walking without walker/air boot/crutches/canes. I started my 2nd week of PT (4th session was today) and I am only bearing maybe 15% of weight....I just want to be back on my own two feet soon and my recovery just isn't coming fast enough for me (almost 8 weeks post injury/post surgery).
NCG09...seems at 8 weeks you're coming along nicely. Not sure how "young" you are but I am 28 and I started PT about 4 weeks post Op but never received the okay do any WB (weight bearing). It wasn't until around your time, 8th or 9th week that my doctor said that I can place about 50% which eventually became 50% or more in 12 weeks. By the 16th week, my doctor said I can place FWB on my leg as tolerated. By this point I ditched the crutches and went with the cane.

PT has played such an integral role in my development. Without it, I don't believe I would have had the confidence to stand on my own two feet again on my own. At 18 weeks, I was once again walking on my own without any assistance of a cane, crutch, walker, etc., for 50% of the day with the remaining portion using it when my leg got tired. And then by the 20th week (beginning of August), I was all on my own walking. Limping nonetheless in the beginning but enjoying walking on my own. Now at the end of August which is about almost 24 weeks, I am walking on my own, going up and down stairs, driving again and life is starting to look normal. Although I am still at PT, I am happy to know that my limp is slowly going away and the pace in which I walk has quickened every day. PT was the reason why I healed so fast. Not only did it give me confidence to walk again but it helped build my muscles around the break so when I was ready to walk on my own again, I had the strength to do it on my own. PT was also good in letting you know what you can do and not do. They also taught me how to properly use the crutches, cane, etc., to get around.

You're in your 8th, it will take some time but trust me, I was very unhappy when this life altering moment occurred but sooner than later by the 20 weeks, you should be WB most of your own weight again.

My next goal in September (which would mean start of month #7) is to start jogging again.

Good Luck
UT

Last edited by UofTLaw; 08-31-2009 at 04:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 03:47 AM
 
Location: Canada
64 posts, read 193,458 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrunner4 View Post
okay, so I had my first appointment with my doctor, and he told me hes so confident in the strength of the rod+bone that I could jump up and down on my broken leg and it wont damage it at all. has anyone else's doctor told you that? seems somewhat odd... but it feels very strong, I'm still pretty scared to put alot of weight on it. although I did slip on the stairs and subconsciously caught myself with my broken leg and I'd say I put 85% of my weight on it and it didnt seem to hurt much although I did feel some pain. just trying to get some others opinions on this. it was exactly 2 weeks post surgery when I had that appointment with the surgeon. thanks
Trackrunner...I personally think its a bit odd that your doctor would say that to you after 2 weeks post surgery. I started to put 50% or more after 3 months (12 weeks) min. I had surgery on my left leg and had the rod and screws in as well. I also subconsciously slipped and used my "bad" leg to hold myself up. I was okay even though I went to the doctor to have it xrayed again. Until this time, which is almost 6 months, my doctor still hasn't cleared me to jump yet and I can stand and walk without crutches or cane.

Not too sure about what your doctor says but thats only my opinion.

UT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 03:53 AM
 
Location: Canada
64 posts, read 193,458 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCG09 View Post
Thank you to those who shared their PT stories. Everyone is so different in regards to their healing, weight bearing, etc. Even the OS's are so different with their protocol!!! Congratulations to all of you who have made it (or are making it) through this ordeal - never thought a broken leg would be this huge of a deal!! I definitely agree that PT has absolutely been amazing. In the 6 PT sessions I have had, my ROM in my knee has gone from 75 to 117!!! (140 is normal per my PT). My goal is to be walking without a walker (never have used crutches) by October 24. This is the day of my son's last soccer game of the season and I want to walk across the field all by myself!! It will be OK to me if I have to wear my air boot (funny how I'm a walking target on the soccer fields...either me, my wheelchair or my walker has gotten hit by a runaway ball!!), probably safer to have that protection on a soccer field. Anyways, continued healing to all of you.....this forum has been such a good outlet for me and please continue to share stories....those of you who are back on your feet and those of you who are trying to back on two legs!!! Happy Saturday!
An interesting fact of mine is that when I used the cane, I have already lost the aircast. I wore the aircast for the first 3 months and then I placed it on the side. I used crutches to walk without the aircast first as the crutches provide better support and then by start of July (4 months post Op) I ditched the crutches for the cane. The cane would be used the least as by that point your leg should be able to support at least 80% of your own weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 03:55 AM
 
Location: Canada
64 posts, read 193,458 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnj68 View Post
The surgery to have the 2 screws removed is becauause my bone is still not healing correctly and she says that by removing the screws it will give the bone room to move so it can grow together better. Im excited. Ready to have it done. I am in a ton of pain all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnj68 View Post
ANY INFO????????????????I am having surgery monday to remove two screws in my ankle. I would like to know how long I might be laid up from this and also how long I might be back on crutches again. Any ideas?ThanksLinda
To add on Cristina's point, why do you need to take them out? Are you experiencing pain? My doc says if it hasn't hampered you and doesn't cause any pain, there is no need to remove them. Having it there or not does not make a difference so long as it is not uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top