U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM

16 posts, read 83,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdinomoore View Post
Well I'm back Glad to hear your doing good caseyma24, I went to the Doc friday the 9th of april 12 weeks since I broke it was looking to be done with this whole thing ...Doc says it is not healing as fast as it should 6 more weeks...DAMMMMMM IT...............6 more weeks well what do I do know,,what your Doc say caseyma24?
WOW! I meet with my OS tomorrow and I hope that I can begin walking again. My physical therapist said that she does not see any reason why he wouldn't permit me to bear weight, but she also said the x-rays will be the determining factor. The PT said to begin to bear a little more weight on it, which I have been doing, and it feels good. No pain, no movement (from what I can tell). I will keep you posted on what the doc says tomorrow.

Good luck and try to stay positive for the next few weeks. I can't imagine how you are feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:51 PM

16 posts, read 58,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdinomoore View Post
Well I'm back Glad to hear your doing good caseyma24, I went to the Doc friday the 9th of april 12 weeks since I broke it was looking to be done with this whole thing ...Doc says it is not healing as fast as it should 6 more weeks...DAMMMMMM IT...............6 more weeks well what do I do know,,what your Doc say caseyma24?

Wow, I'm really surprised you didn't get put on a bone stimulator like I did. I also went for my 12 week appt but the OS says the bones haven't healed at all and he put me on a bone stimulator once daily for the next 8 WEEKS... so, needless to say, I know how you feel. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:53 PM

16 posts, read 83,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles420 View Post
Wow, I'm really surprised you didn't get put on a bone stimulator like I did. I also went for my 12 week appt but the OS says the bones haven't healed at all and he put me on a bone stimulator once daily for the next 8 WEEKS... so, needless to say, I know how you feel. Good luck.
I met with my doctor on Friday and he had me up and "walking" without my crutches. I am now able to bear full weight at toleration. The PT took me down to one crutch and I am handling it ok. My leg is sore (which I expected) and I am fighting a limp (which I also expected). The OS said six more weeks off of work, when we meet again he will determine if I can go back to work. Just glad to be on the upswing!

Old 04-21-2010, 01:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,963 times
Just thought I'd post to give those that are just starting the journey my timeline so those with similar injuries have an idea of what to expect. I broke my tib/fib and it was a compound fracture. I was at a friends and we were riding a Gator (not the animal, but a motor vehicle) and it flipped and landed on my leg so it was pretty nasty. This happened November 25th so I am a couple days away from being 5 months into it. It was too swollen to put the hardware in right away so I got an Exfix. I had my second surgery Dec 15th and got a plate and 10 screw on the tibia. I was NWB until Jan 24th, at which point they cleared me to start 50% WB with a boot. I got cleared to be full WB with the boot sometime in late February. I just went to the OS yesterday and he cleared me start FWB without the boot but only indoors. He said that if I go out he wants me to wear boot just to make sure I don't have it twist awkwardly or anything. I was extremely encouraged by this because if we didn't see some bone growth at this visit, there was the possibility of having to have a bone graft. It is weird walking around the house in regular shoes now, but it is a great feeling and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope this can help somebody because I remembering reading these forums when I first started and trying to find injuries that were similar to mine and people that were far along to get an idea of the recovery time. Also, I am 21 years old so I kind of have youth working in my favor. Here's to a speedy recovery for all my feller BLers.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,899 times
Default My Recent Experience

Hello everyone! I came upon this forum while searching for "knee pain after rod placed in tibia" on Google. I'm glad I found this forum, because it's nice to read about other people's experiences. =) My experience is rather recent, and I'm happy to say that my recovery is going extremely well.

I was hit by a car on March 31st while crossing the street to my house and broke my leg. I had expected the person who hit me to be coming to a stop, but he was going a little faster than he should have and hit me at about 10-15 miles per hour. When he stopped his car, the driver-side wheel was partially on my right foot, bending it towards me (which is what broke my leg). At this point I was in shock and felt no pain, and was also coherent enough to ask him to reverse off of my foot. After he did so I went to stand up, but felt "nothing" in my right leg, as both my tibia and fibula were broken. The driver had to help me to the side of the road, and once on the sidewalk, I began to feel the absolutely horrible pain. When I looked down at my leg and saw my foot just dangling there, I knew it was broken.

I was taken to the ER via ambulance; the doctors stated there that I had a compound fracture of both bones, and the tibia had poked through my skin for a moment when I tried to stand on my leg. My leg was set twice that night. I stayed in the hospital, and the next day--yes, April Fool's Day!--the doctors decided to perform surgery on my tibia. I now have a titanium rod in my tibia with one screw holding it at the top and three screws holding it at the bottom.

I was released from the hospital on April 3rd when I demonstrated that I was able to walk using a walker and crutches. Once at home I was limited to a walker and crutches for the first week (and stopped taking ibuprofen for my pain after a week and a half). I worked up to standing within a few days, and by April 14th I was walking without crutches for short distances. Since April 19th I have been walking around my house, slowly but surely, either without crutches or with one crutch. I wear a compression sock on my leg about 30% of the time, and it is practically the same size as my other leg now.

The only problems I currently have are feeling my fibula click (it's really disturbing, and I'm very anxious for my fibula to begin fusing together), some knee pain when I straighten out or bend my leg completely (which makes me worry about having the titanium rod in my bone once my bones are healed), my leg giving out from time-to-time, and some swelling at my knee and ankle.

As obvious, my experience has been pretty lucky. I must say though that such is because my doctor is well-credited (I suggest to anyone who is having problems with their doctor to find one who is better suited to help you, this is extremely important) and because both my mother and myself have been pushing me. I haven't been overworking myself at all, but I did need to be pushed a bit in the beginning to put weight on my leg. And also, from the beginning I told myself and everyone who asked that I expected to be fully dancing, running, and doing other activities again very soon. I think optimism helped, as well as support and a good doctor.

I hope that all of you guys end up having a good experience, and I hope to read more of your stories!

Old 04-21-2010, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,899 times
Default Screws in My Leg

And I forgot to mention that the screws in the lower part of my tibia do cause some discomfort. I am a bit worried about it, but otherwise my mobility isn't inhibited too much by them.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:01 AM

51 posts, read 206,728 times
Default Ankle and knee pain from rod and screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglets View Post
And I forgot to mention that the screws in the lower part of my tibia do cause some discomfort. I am a bit worried about it, but otherwise my mobility isn't inhibited too much by them.
Piglets ... I also have the ankle pain (not as often anymore but still at times) from the screws and the pain in my knee which I believe is from the rod ... that's pretty much everyday even if not all day long. Not sure if it's the way I'm standing, sitting or just because my leg hasn't been moving. I talked to my OS and during my last visit it became not an option but a definite that he will remove the hardware at the earliest possible time. Many OS won't remove until you are 12 months post-op to ensure the stability of the bone, etc.. Mine says he will do it as early as a full 9 months, which means the earliest I can have it done is July since my break and surgery were on 9/24. This is a long road but hang in there and stay positive as full recovery is possible. I'm still hoping that the pain will eventually go away if not with the removal of the hardware then with time. My pain isn't enough to cause me to take even extra strength tylenol for it every day but does get a bit tiresome.

Diana

Old 04-25-2010, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 15,466 times
i broke my right leg on april 11th,2010.i have never broken a major bone in my body before.this is the worst pain in the world.i broke both the tibia and fibula basically right in half tripping on a area rug over a step onto a concrete floor.i had emergency surgery a few hours later.i spent three days in the hospital and then finally came home. i have days were i think i am doing better,then i have days were i am having the worst pain.the worst part is not having my four year old son living with me because i am unable to care for him with this injury.luckily my sister in law is caring for him.that is the hardest thing that i have to go through.he does come home on the weekends,but i am unable to do anything with him as he is a typical crazy boy.watching him leave on the weekends is the comparable pain to having this broken leg.he is my reason to keep working as hard as i can.does anyone know when i am supposed to feeling some relief because all i feel right now i pain and i cant sleep due to elevation of my leg.i am just sick of dealing with all of this and cant for everything to go back to normal if that is possible.sorry about rambling,but it is hard to talk to people that don't have any idea what i am talking about.thanks for listening.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,883 times
Default broken bones

I have a similar story. Oct. 2, I was in an accident that broke my tib and fib in my left leg. I received surgery and an external fixator with 7 pins. Over the course of time I contracted an infection and had the 2 infected pins removed and replaced. My surgeon removed the fixator and put me in a cast on Feb. 2. Feb. 16, the cast was removed and I was given a brace that did nothing more than protect my leg from being bumped, although the bones in my leg were still broken. I was told to "bear wait as tolerated". March 16, another doctor told me the bones were not fully healed and gave me a walking cast, which I still wear to this day (April 25). Since the removal of the fixator, my pinsites have healed and what remains is an atrophied leg and an extremely large callous on my shin. I am able to walk without the cast for several hours before any great deal of pain hinders me from doing so. I can do nothing much athletic, as I used to be. I have begun a moderate yoga regiminent to increase the flexibility I have lost in my legs and hips. My main concern now, is the flexibility, the swelling in my leg and especially my ankle, and most of all this large callous on my shin. I was wondering if any others were having problems with callousing and how long it's taken to heal.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,839 times
I have a question I am hoping somebody can help me with. My son broke his tib/fib.last week in a dirt biking accident(compound fracture). However, since he is growing (14yrs. old) the surgeon didn't put in any plates, screws, etc. He just cleaned the wound, and re-aligned the bones,stapled the wound and put on a plaster cast from thigh to foot. However, when we went for our 1 week follow-up appt. yesterday, I almost cried when I saw the X-rays. I was expecting the bones to be somewhat lined up with each other, and instead saw they are still sitting beside each other in his leg clearly broken. He told us that calcuim will grow around the break and fuse the 2 pieces together, but they aren't even lined up straight on top of each other. Will he just have a huge knot around each bone? This seems crazy to me, he also said that because of the break, the bones will grow longer so you don't want the bones lined up on top of each other or else that leg will be longer?? Any help/ links would be so appreciated, as I have never heard anything like this and think a 2nd opinion maybe needed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness