U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2009, 06:43 AM
 
45 posts, read 275,414 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
linnj
When I had all my hardware taken out I was NWB for only one day by second day I was toe tapping on one crutch and by fourth day back to FWBT only thing that hurt was staples and fact that OS went little deeper this second time when he took out the hardware. In fact 4 months later for some reason that area still bothers me. So on Wed 9/2 I go to OS to finally get an xray taken of the ankle after the hardware has been taken out. I feel at this point after 8 months I want to see how my lft ankle has healed and what I can expect in coming months. Outside of my ankle looks wonderful but I hate how it feels inside and absolutely hate only having 57% ROM.... so everyone out there wish me luck on Wednesday. Good Luck on your upcoming surgery linnj. Christina hope you are doing well and NCG so glad you are doing so well. We all have made wonderful accomplishments since our injury. Bev

Thanks! I wish you luck and good news as well! I have been SO lucky because since the day I had surgery I have always had 100% ROM. I am very thankful for that. I hear a lot of people saying their ROM is bad. I guess I was lucky in that area. I do have a lot of pain in my ankle from the hardware (I think) and I have heard this will help getting it out. I am excited. I am glad to hear that I will not have a lot of downtime. I am finally walking and I do not want to take backward steps at this stage of the game.
I am sure you will get good news. Let us know how everything goes!!

Linnj68
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 PM
 
189 posts, read 711,518 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofTLaw View Post
Thanks for the tips Nanny....it's just great to know I am not using a cane anymore. After almost 6 months, I am able to walk on my own. Still limping of course but enjoying that I can do it on my own without any assistance from cane or crutch. I only walk on my own two feet now. I walked through an amusement park and even danced a but at a friends wedding - I even did a limpy version of the twist without the cane's assistance. Feeling great!

I will definitely try swimming, stationary bike and elliptical in the gym. In terms of swimming, it has been 6 months but I still worry a bit thinking that I shouldn't be jerking my legs up and down rapidly like that since it hasn't "all" mended. Guess I shouldn't have to worry.

Thanks.
UT

It is great to hear you are doing so good! Don't worry about the swimming , it is wonderful, just start out slow if you are concerned about kicking too much. And , listen to your body, it will let you know what you should and shouldn't do. If your goal is to run/jog soon, working that leg in the water will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 05:20 AM
 
9 posts, read 54,030 times
Reputation: 12
hi, im a newbie here. i fracture my tibia and fib during a basketball game evening of 8/25. the following morning i had my surgery where my OS put rod and screw to straighten my fracture. The next day i had my XRay and the on the afternoon, i was starting my PT. I started by tiptoeing (assisted by a walker then crutches) and putting 10 kg weight on my bad leg. i used the walker on flat surfaces and the crutches on stairs. the following day my PT told me that my OS advice her that i can put as much weight that i can take on my bad leg. I was scared all the time because im afraid that its too early to be doing all of this stuff but my OS sounded pretty confident about so i just had to have faith. im at home right now and resting my leg. also im continuing the exercises the PT taught me and also walks from time to time with the help of a walker. by the way im 29 years old and active in sports( running, basketball). i just like to share my experience and i hope to hear from you guys for some advice. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 12:59 PM
m2y
 
28 posts, read 108,772 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan1980 View Post
hi, im a newbie here. i fracture my tibia and fib during a basketball game evening of 8/25. the following morning i had my surgery where my OS put rod and screw to straighten my fracture. The next day i had my XRay and the on the afternoon, i was starting my PT. I started by tiptoeing (assisted by a walker then crutches) and putting 10 kg weight on my bad leg. i used the walker on flat surfaces and the crutches on stairs. the following day my PT told me that my OS advice her that i can put as much weight that i can take on my bad leg. I was scared all the time because im afraid that its too early to be doing all of this stuff but my OS sounded pretty confident about so i just had to have faith. im at home right now and resting my leg. also im continuing the exercises the PT taught me and also walks from time to time with the help of a walker. by the way im 29 years old and active in sports( running, basketball). i just like to share my experience and i hope to hear from you guys for some advice. thanks

So sorry to hear about your accident. I am on week 12 since my second surgery (my break happened in early April but the clock was reset when I had to have major corrective sx). Yesterday, I had noted to my PT the different practices I have observed on this messaging board with respect to the patient becoming fully ambulatory again. In particular, the UK appears to be the most aggressive where pts are told they can bear weight as tolerated soon after surgery. For me here in Canada, I was told not to weight-bear for 2wks, then only 20lbs for 4wks & then a gradual increase in weight. My PT told me that the UK physicians tend to be ahead of the North Americans. The most important info that he gave me and what is constant in these boards, is to listen to your body. Your body will protect itself. But I would highly recommend finding a PT to help you with the remaining part of your recovery, as they can also provide you with the confidence to press forward. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 05:15 PM
 
45 posts, read 275,414 times
Reputation: 19
Hello everyone....
Surgery went well yesterday. Very sore yesterday but doing better today. Even able to bear weight a little bit and have walked without crutches a bit. My Doc says I am allowed to weight bear as long as it is feeling okay to me.
So all is well..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 05:44 PM
 
Location: OHIO
139 posts, read 526,150 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnj68 View Post
Hello everyone....
Surgery went well yesterday. Very sore yesterday but doing better today. Even able to bear weight a little bit and have walked without crutches a bit. My Doc says I am allowed to weight bear as long as it is feeling okay to me.
So all is well..
I am so happy to hear that your surgery went well and you are getting along wonderfully. Keep up the good work. BEV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Northern California
26 posts, read 227,278 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnj68 View Post
Hello everyone....
Surgery went well yesterday. Very sore yesterday but doing better today. Even able to bear weight a little bit and have walked without crutches a bit. My Doc says I am allowed to weight bear as long as it is feeling okay to me.
So all is well..

This is great news! I know you were worried, but you are already bearing weight! Hooray!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Northern California
26 posts, read 227,278 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan1980 View Post
hi, im a newbie here. i fracture my tibia and fib during a basketball game evening of 8/25. the following morning i had my surgery where my OS put rod and screw to straighten my fracture. The next day i had my XRay and the on the afternoon, i was starting my PT. I started by tiptoeing (assisted by a walker then crutches) and putting 10 kg weight on my bad leg. i used the walker on flat surfaces and the crutches on stairs. the following day my PT told me that my OS advice her that i can put as much weight that i can take on my bad leg. I was scared all the time because im afraid that its too early to be doing all of this stuff but my OS sounded pretty confident about so i just had to have faith. im at home right now and resting my leg. also im continuing the exercises the PT taught me and also walks from time to time with the help of a walker. by the way im 29 years old and active in sports( running, basketball). i just like to share my experience and i hope to hear from you guys for some advice. thanks

Yes, I agree 100% with m2y....listen to your body, your body will tell you when, how much, etc. I think it is great that your OS is having you start so quick with PT and weight bearing. I didn't start my PT or bearing weight until 6 weeks after surgery (I'm 38 years young!) and my therapist even thought that was a little long to be nwb. I have definitely determined that my OS is conservative!!! You are going to be just fine and are already on your way to walking again, good for you! I just think it's great you are using crutches on stairs!! I'm too scared!!! So, for now, I'm still going up and down the stairs on my bottom....I hope to be walking up and down those stairs on my own two feet soon!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Northern California
26 posts, read 227,278 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
linnj
When I had all my hardware taken out I was NWB for only one day by second day I was toe tapping on one crutch and by fourth day back to FWBT only thing that hurt was staples and fact that OS went little deeper this second time when he took out the hardware. In fact 4 months later for some reason that area still bothers me. So on Wed 9/2 I go to OS to finally get an xray taken of the ankle after the hardware has been taken out. I feel at this point after 8 months I want to see how my lft ankle has healed and what I can expect in coming months. Outside of my ankle looks wonderful but I hate how it feels inside and absolutely hate only having 57% ROM.... so everyone out there wish me luck on Wednesday. Good Luck on your upcoming surgery linnj. Christina hope you are doing well and NCG so glad you are doing so well. We all have made wonderful accomplishments since our injury. Bev
Keep us posted Bev!! Can't wait to hear how the x-ray looks!! Question, when you say you have 57% ROM in your ankle, what do you mean exactly? Are you measuring it from how far side to side you can go or back and forth? I know that my biggest challenge right now is being able to place my heel down first to take a step forward. Is this where your ROM is limited?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 06:48 PM
 
5 posts, read 35,476 times
Reputation: 14
hey! havent been on this in a while. exactly 8 weeks now since i broke both my tib/fib and got an IM nail and 4 screws inserted. have been weight bearing from the start. this apparently is the newest way as it ensures more blood flow to the injured area. Been able to get around on 1 crutch mainly lately and on no crutches around the house. about 2 weeks ago I seen I was loseing a lot of muscle on my thigh. got advice to buy ankle weights. They are brilliant. The weight can be varied and my muscle is almost back to its normal size. Gonna get a physio session for the 1st time this week mainly to see what i will be allowed to do as I already have about 95% movement in both my knee and ankle.
Took very little of the advice I received from the doctor as it was a different one I seen each time. Infact last time I was there the doctor said to start putting weight on it even though I was told to put weight on from surgery and I walked into his office with 1 crutch!! Instead I found different sources for advice and found them very helpful!
For those newest to this the best thing you can do is accept what happened and hold no grudges. Get a few boxsets that you intended to watch and go out sumwhere most evenings!
I never let it affect my social life. If anything I have never went out as much and the crutches are a great conversation starter! Its easy to feel down about it and believe me Ive had my moments but think positive and make the most of the situation!
Hopefully everyone is getting better, and hears to a speedy recovery!! (hopefully 6 weeks until sports with the help of the physio!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top