U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 06:29 PM

32 posts, read 136,156 times

Advertisements

I am sorry that you have to go through this ordeal by yourself. I know how difficult is was for me and I had my family. The depression was the worst.. I know the worse is over and you are on your way to recovery. Thjose of us who have suffered these serious injuries have learned a lot. It has made me a humble person and more sensitive to those folks who are disabled.. Throughout my 7 months, I read a lot and tried to keep busy.. The days were long nights were longer since I was sleeping in the living room in a hospital bed. All my bedrooms were up stairs and since I fell down the stairs I was frighten to even consider trying the steps.. However, in November the day after thanksgiving I had the courage an went up the stairs by myself.. once I reached the top, i needed help.. so I would come up once a day... Bathing was another story since I had a brace and could not take off. Once the dr. told me the brace could be removed my husband put me it the shower with walker and ALL.... It felt great to bath.. than I would bath without the walker.. but hey you do anything to get back to normal.. I returned to work April 12 and tried not to depend on the cane.. Still I walk strange and may have a limp for the rest of my life.. I am not able to bend my leg 120, but 98 and have accepted my limitations.. I share this with you so that you know that we have all been through hell... look at my past posting where I share and ask for help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:31 PM

32 posts, read 136,156 times
[quote=Drewzer;14410516]I want to say thanks to everyone who has contributed their experiences and advice to this thread. It's helped out a lot of people. Reading about people who had a tough time but are now doing well is really helping me out right now.

I broke my tib and fib April 14th and it has been about the toughest experience of my life. I shattered my tib with 16 fractures and had to get hardware. I've been doing PT.

The hardest part of all was that I just moved to LA for a job, signed a year lease on an apartment, and then did this to myself. Ended up losing the job, but I came out here with savings and I'm determined to see it through. The hard part has been doing it all by myself. It is really hard! My nearest relative is 400 miles away. I've got friends in San Diego but they all have jobs and they're all male, so using my charm is obviously out of the question. I've had to feed myself, get groceries, bathe (so difficult), clean my apartment, climb up and down the steps to my place, and a multitude of other things, with my leg all messed up. I've been taking cabs everywhere and the drivers usually help me get in and out, though. The worst detail was that after my surgery I got a bone infection which just kicked my butt. I was exhausted, with muscle fatigue, nauseous, and just generally in bad shape. I would lay on the floor in between my room and the bathroom and just sob. Pretty pathetic. I ended up having to go back and get a PICC line after the 3 antibiotics I was on all failed to work. Finally, I beat the infection. Off antibiotics. I'm off my painkillers, too, pain's still there but diminishing, and I hate how drowsy the pk's make me feel.

I've been really depressed and reading these threads has just put a nice feeling in my gut. I can't wait to start walking and ... oh lord... running, just any progress at this point will be a relief. Hopefully I'll get a partial weight bearing rating soon.

Anyways, to all those who are suffering the infection road, I feel your pain. It is not fun, but you will eventually feel a million times better. And to those who are dealing with their injuries solo: stay strong. When all is said and done, you will have accomplished something. Keep that in mind. The recovery process can feel like a waste, and the depressed/stressed mind tends to think of tragedy as a waste as well... just remember that it is inevitable at this point and you will be a more hearty individual for conquering it.

Best of luck to all.

I am sorry that you have to go through this ordeal by yourself. I know how difficult is was for me and I had my family. The depression was the worst.. I know the worse is over and you are on your way to recovery. Thjose of us who have suffered these serious injuries have learned a lot. It has made me a humble person and more sensitive to those folks who are disabled.. Throughout my 7 months, I read a lot and tried to keep busy.. The days were long nights were longer since I was sleeping in the living room in a hospital bed. All my bedrooms were up stairs and since I feel down the stairs I was frighten to even consider trying the steps.. However, in November the day after thanksgiveing I had the courage an went up the stairs by myself.. once I reached the top, i needed help.. so I would come up once a day... Bathing was another story since I had a brace and could not take off. Once the dr. told me the brace could be removed my husband put me it the tub with walker and ALL.... If felf great to bath.. than I would bath without the walker.. but hey you do anything to get back to normal.. I returned to work APril 12 and tried not to depend on the cane.. Still I walk strange and may have alimp for the rest of my life.. I am not able to bend my leg 120, but 98 and have accepted my limitations.. I shae this for you to know that we have all been through hell... look at my past posting where I share and ask for help...

Old 06-10-2010, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,295 times
hello. i have spent months just reading post. i crushed my tib fib just below the knee in a auto accident. this was on oct 21st 2009.spent three weeks in the hospital. came home with a brace, unable to bend leg, bare weight.nothing. slow slow progression since. i am now able to walk with a cane and doctor says to slowly wean my way off the cane. well every time i do it hurs so bad. the main never has gone away. my leg feels like something is pinkching inside. some days i just plain cant walk from the pain and just being to weak. one leg is longer than the other now. my leg just dont feel NORMAL. if that makes sense.
will these things ever go away?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:14 AM

175 posts, read 660,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaHip View Post
hello. i have spent months just reading post. i crushed my tib fib just below the knee in a auto accident. this was on oct 21st 2009.spent three weeks in the hospital. came home with a brace, unable to bend leg, bare weight.nothing. slow slow progression since. i am now able to walk with a cane and doctor says to slowly wean my way off the cane. well every time i do it hurs so bad. the main never has gone away. my leg feels like something is pinkching inside. some days i just plain cant walk from the pain and just being to weak. one leg is longer than the other now. my leg just dont feel NORMAL. if that makes sense.
will these things ever go away?

I would definitely get a second opinion. Trust me, I wish I had gotten one sooner than I did.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:26 AM

175 posts, read 660,142 times
Hi, everyone! It's been a long time since I've been here, yet this board always makes me feel a lot better. I broke my tib/fib back in November 2008. I was allowed to fully weight bear in February, and at that time realized that the pain was a lot more horrible than I expected. It turned out that I had an infection through the bone, and had surgery to remove the hardware from the tibia in April 2009. I was back in the boot until July, and sometime a few weeks later I noticed that I had a lump in the side of my leg by the fibula. I thought it was muscles, and did some exercises. In September I found out that the lump was not muscles after all - the tibia healed crooked and pushed the fibula out. In turn, that broke the plate. I had more surgery in November to do bone grafting on the fib and replace the plate with a larger, heavy duty one. I had nothing but problems ever since - swelling, pain, and it just looked awful. I finally got a second opinion (my first OS told me that I was fine and released me! WTF?) and found out that the bone was still broken in May - 6 months after the bone graft! I just had surgery last Friday once again, this time to remove the plate and look for infection. Thankfully, there is no infection, but the doc said that the inflammation around the plate was horrible, and there was too much scar tissue and other "garbage" in the way to allow proper healing on the bone. I'm once again back in the boot, with no hardware at all, and hopefully will heal this time. I still have the issue of the crooked tibia, and hopefully the CT scan will show that it's not going to give me any long lasting problems. I know my old OS swore it wouldn't, but this doc is worried that I could end up ruining my knee and hip in the long run.

Through all of this, I think I've become a lot more humble. You find the joys in the little things in life - taking a shower, driving yourself somewhere, being able to walk around the block and chase the kids. Good luck to all of you, and know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I think I might finally be able to see mine.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 AM

76 posts, read 374,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewzer View Post
I want to say thanks to everyone who has contributed their experiences and advice to this thread. It's helped out a lot of people. Reading about people who had a tough time but are now doing well is really helping me out right now.

I broke my tib and fib April 14th and it has been about the toughest experience of my life. I shattered my tib with 16 fractures and had to get hardware. I've been doing PT.

The hardest part of all was that I just moved to LA for a job, signed a year lease on an apartment, and then did this to myself. Ended up losing the job, but I came out here with savings and I'm determined to see it through. The hard part has been doing it all by myself. It is really hard! My nearest relative is 400 miles away. I've got friends in San Diego but they all have jobs and they're all male, so using my charm is obviously out of the question. I've had to feed myself, get groceries, bathe (so difficult), clean my apartment, climb up and down the steps to my place, and a multitude of other things, with my leg all messed up. I've been taking cabs everywhere and the drivers usually help me get in and out, though. The worst detail was that after my surgery I got a bone infection which just kicked my butt. I was exhausted, with muscle fatigue, nauseous, and just generally in bad shape. I would lay on the floor in between my room and the bathroom and just sob. Pretty pathetic. I ended up having to go back and get a PICC line after the 3 antibiotics I was on all failed to work. Finally, I beat the infection. Off antibiotics. I'm off my painkillers, too, pain's still there but diminishing, and I hate how drowsy the pk's make me feel.

I've been really depressed and reading these threads has just put a nice feeling in my gut. I can't wait to start walking and ... oh lord... running, just any progress at this point will be a relief. Hopefully I'll get a partial weight bearing rating soon.

Anyways, to all those who are suffering the infection road, I feel your pain. It is not fun, but you will eventually feel a million times better. And to those who are dealing with their injuries solo: stay strong. When all is said and done, you will have accomplished something. Keep that in mind. The recovery process can feel like a waste, and the depressed/stressed mind tends to think of tragedy as a waste as well... just remember that it is inevitable at this point and you will be a more hearty individual for conquering it.

Best of luck to all.

-D
Wow, you have been through a lot and by yourself! Makes me REALLY appreciate all that my husband has done for me through this! But guess what? You are alive and have a lot to look forward to in life! My tib/fib break was 1 year and 3 months ago and am reminded every day when I'm walking but still breathing! Keep your spirts UP!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 AM

16 posts, read 58,576 times
Wooo!! I "can" walk without the crutch now. I say "can" because my os wants me to not use the crutch but sometimes i still have too cause it hurts too bad with all my weight on it. I am so excited to be able to walk again.... think i'm gonna go get a cane tho.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 PM

16 posts, read 83,930 times
Just thought I'd check in with this thread since it's been awhile...

I was allowed to fully WB during the last week of April (I broke my tib/fib on January 16th). The first few weeks were tough- swelling, pain when walking; however, after meeting with my OS on May 28, 2010 he was happy to report that I am 100% healed and I returned to work on June 1st as a first grade teacher. Of course I still have minor discomfort at times, but I am on my feet for hours at a time, walking around (for over 2 miles), and I returned to working out diligently with a trainer and riding my bike.

The OS is going to remove all my hardware next summer!

For those of you new to this thread/injury remember to hang in there (so much easier said than done) and realize that there is light at the end of this tunnel. I wish you all the best of luck and thank you for helping me get through the harder months with a little more optimism.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:16 AM

220 posts, read 976,157 times
In a few months it will be two years for me. Four weeks after the break, I was riding my bike with the walking boot on. I think that helped the recovery a lot. It kept blood flowing and strengthened the rest of the leg without straining the injury. I stayed seated and used high cadence to lessen the load, then kept increasing the load over the weeks. Was back to riding with a shoe 4 weeks later.

I noticed that after 1.5 years, the size of the ankle on both sides around the breaks is getting smaller and almost normal. It used to be huge, which I guess is all the scar tissue and bone growth over the breaks.

I have about 90% strength back and 80% range of motion. The thing that bothers me the most now are the heads of the screws which are like lumps on the bone. Hurts if they hit something and I can't wear shoes that extend over the ankle without wearing extra thick wool socks. Has anyone had their screws removed?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 15,265 times
I fractured both tibia and fibula back in January of 2009. I had the hardware removed about a month ago and I am glad I did. I went in same day surgery and had a nerve block which was wonderful. I did not feel my leg for about 20 hours, it was recommended to start the pain med early while the block was working to avoid a pain crisis. They removed the hardware via the same incision, it is a tad longer. I was allowed to partial weight bear but I didn't want to for a couple of days. I was very uncomfortable the first few days, used the pain meds and stayed down. I don't think I was aware of how much pain is involved with the hardware removal. I thought you went in--they unscrew the screws and you have minimal discomfort....wrong it hurts. Once your over the initial week it is much better. I am currently fighting a infection in the fibula side incision. Ask for the hardware, it is pretty interesting. The pain is much better, for me it was worth it. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness