U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 01:17 AM

220 posts, read 974,404 times

Advertisements

juliepa54, Did you have the long screws removed too? The plate and 5 short screws would be what I would not mind getting rid. Sounds like it would hurt about as much as a gun shot through the bone. I never took pain meds after surgery, but it was a lot of pain. I guess I tried the meds once, it had no effect so I never took them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 AM

76 posts, read 372,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_1000 View Post
In a few months it will be two years for me. Four weeks after the break, I was riding my bike with the walking boot on. I think that helped the recovery a lot. It kept blood flowing and strengthened the rest of the leg without straining the injury. I stayed seated and used high cadence to lessen the load, then kept increasing the load over the weeks. Was back to riding with a shoe 4 weeks later.

I noticed that after 1.5 years, the size of the ankle on both sides around the breaks is getting smaller and almost normal. It used to be huge, which I guess is all the scar tissue and bone growth over the breaks.

I have about 90% strength back and 80% range of motion. The thing that bothers me the most now are the heads of the screws which are like lumps on the bone. Hurts if they hit something and I can't wear shoes that extend over the ankle without wearing extra thick wool socks. Has anyone had their screws removed?
I am now 1 year 3 months since tib/fib break with compound fracture. I had hardware removed at 11 mos. Yes, screw sticking out hurt when I walked and same day hardware removed I noticed no more pain where that screw in front of ankle was. I still have swelling around ankle and tightness maybe from scar tissue (?) -- feels like rubber bands around ankle and some strange sensations when rubbing top of foot and also some numbness. I take daily anti-inflammatory, which helps with swelling and any pain but I don't want to be on these forever!! (?). Only more time will tell where I will end up.

Michele

Old 06-29-2010, 02:18 AM

220 posts, read 974,404 times
I noticed the numbness decreases as the size of the ankle gets smaller, maybe it is the scar tissue forming a thick layer that blocks the nerve endings. A year ago my ankle was much larger than now at two years, so it is a slow process. I found a machine at the gym that can really push down on the joint and stretch the muscles, it feels good and I am noticing more range of motion.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 8,989 times
On December 1, 2007 I broke both my bones in lower right leg. I had plates on inside and outside. I had a total off 17 screws 11 on the inside 6 on the outside. Wasn't aload to drive till May. Then I did therpy till August. Still wasn't aload to work till November because of weight and time resitiction. Then I couldn't find job till March. Had plates removed in February as they rubbed on my ankle. Now July 2010 I live on percets and gabebutrin. And it just keeps getting worse with the nerves. Good luck all as there are days now wish the car would have kille me when it ran me over.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 19,879 times
hi,

i'm so glad i found this thread. on june 17 i broke both lower bones on my right leg in a motorcycle crash (multiple fractures). it was an open break and the bones came out through the skin. had rod, plates and screws put in place to hold everything together. now almost a month after the accident i'm still in an immobilizer brace for another 6 weeks. my ankle is still swollen and whenever i get up to restroom my foot becomes purple. doc said to start doing PT on the right ankle and i can move it up and down however twisting it inwards and outwards even slightly causes pain. he said not to let it still (the ankle) for a long time because Ill never be able to bent it fully again. im just worried if 4 weeks is not too late to start performing PT.

besides the discomfort and the foot being constantly stiff and swollen i have another long screw on the side of my knee, because the bones on top of everything else were dislocated from the knee. on the xray i noticed that screw is really close to the soft tissue and it bothers me a bit when i move the leg. doc said it'll be removed thou.

Last edited by yaboc; 07-14-2010 at 04:16 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 8,943 times
On June 13 I fell down some steps.I had 2 fractures on both the tibia and fibula. One bone came thru the lower part of my leg. Had surgery and now have rod and screws. After 2 weeks the pain was almost gone.Just take Ibuprofen as needed. After 30 days the doctor said take off the air cast but to still use the crutches. I am able to bear weight as tolerated. I still have swelling to foot and ankle. Still have alot of stiffness. Best advice: move your foot and toes as much as you can if you don't have a cast.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 15,228 times
I was wondering if anyone has had problems with their other leg, the one not fractured. I ask because 18 months following the initial break and surgery and a 2 months post hardware removal, I now have circulation issues with the other leg, my good leg. I also wonder if anyone has the feeling in there fractured leg of having a sock on when your not wearing socks?? I know this sounds crazy but ....

Old 07-19-2010, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 19,879 times
i keep putting ice packs around my ankle but it doesn't seem to take the swelling down. also i noticed that even when i lay down some of my toes on the broken leg are still dark purple. does that mean there's a blood clot in that area? i'm still able to move them, just concerned if this is something i should consult the doc about. i put a warm sock on the foot just to see if it goes away because for the past few days i had AC on and it was really cold in the room and maybe that's what kept the toes dark purple.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 8,907 times
i broke my tib and fib 6 weeks ago on right leg i have a rod on my tiband a wire around my fib which has undone and fib has displaced my left leg has fib injury and got a plate with 6 screws to my shock after not even two weeks my os said to me i can put weight on my right leg and stay off my left dure to dislocation of ankle amongst the injury i endured is this guy off his rocker after 2 weeks but i didnt listen to him i stayed off it for close to 6 weeks and now am walking but slowly and injured like only for the fractured toes on my right foot not being able to bend very well and my left foot being stiff but i am walking unsure that i should be walking though but in saying that i dont feel bad pain but also get tired to walk further than 100 mtrs due to muscles being not used for six weeks i am 70 kg so not a heavy guy i think that it might have a role in my walking abilty at the moment does any one out there know if i am doing the wrong thing was ment to see the os but the ******** went on holidays for 3 weeks so i gotta wait would love to have some feed back cheers

Old 07-21-2010, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 8,888 times
I have a question...I broke my tibia and fibula on June 26, 2010. I had surgery on July 1st, he put in 7 screws, 1 plate, and 1 pin. I had my first full cast put on friday July 9th and then today (July 21st) he put a new cast on because the swelling had gone down so much that the cast was loose and just hanging there. He gave me a walking boot and told me to start putting some pressure on it and within the next two weeks start doing a little bit of walking. I am very nervous and unsure of how to start. I thought it would be too soon judging by other message boards I've read, but he feels it's ok. He just says to be careful. If anyone can give me some advice on how to go about this,I'm having a hard time even putting pressure on, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness