U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 11,801 times

Advertisements

has any one ever had a rod removed from their tibia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 11,801 times
no has had a rod removed from their fibula< strange

Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 15,469 times
i was wondering has anyone gone 5 months without any healing at all with the tibia and fibula bones? i have had absolutely no healing with bones in my leg and i have a rod and three screws,but having surgery tomorrow to have two screws removed b/c the dr is convinced that will help with the healing process.i am scared i may have non-union.seriously any help or advice would be great.Thanks

Old 09-14-2010, 06:17 AM

175 posts, read 656,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby82 View Post
i was wondering has anyone gone 5 months without any healing at all with the tibia and fibula bones? i have had absolutely no healing with bones in my leg and i have a rod and three screws,but having surgery tomorrow to have two screws removed b/c the dr is convinced that will help with the healing process.i am scared i may have non-union.seriously any help or advice would be great.Thanks
My fibula didn't heal at all with fixation and even with bone grafting. Once they removed the hardware, it healed right up. (I broke my leg 23 months ago and finally got the fib to heal!) Good luck to you!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 AM

7 posts, read 40,352 times
WELL I'M STILL HERE 9 MONTHS LATER.

I re-posted all my post from over the last nine months.Enjoy !!!!!!

make sure you read the dates.

02-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Yep

broke my FIB/Tib (Fib 2 places ) got 15 screws and a plate, broke it on 16th of Jan. 2010 at 2:30 pm, had surgery at 11:00pm was home the next day by 1:00pm(the 17th) Told Doc I was going home , I hate hospitals.. Took the kids roller stating and fell.....DUMB....Had a split on for two weeks went to the Doc , he put on a air cast said do not put weight on the legit has now been a little over three weeks (total) not much pain just a little, stop taking pain med last Friday. Just need for this thing to hurry up and heal, I hate sitting around, Still got a lot of swelling. Went back to work a week after it happened, drove myself with the left leg... sit behind a desk. for the first two weeks the pain was horrible was eating pain meds like Tic-Tacs

How much longer do I have before I can walk.............??? Hoping Doc lets me start walking at next app. in 3 weeks..

03-01-2010, 09:50 AM

AN UPDATE.....
Well I went for my 6 weeks Post Opp & and 6 weeks since I broke my Fib/Tib roller-skating.(15 screws and a plate later) The Doc said it is healing nice. Tod me to start putting Weight on my leg 25% this week and then add 25% each week, 50%-75%- 100%..so I am looking at about 4 week out to getting off this crutches...YEAAAAA..I'm so happy , after reading all the post on here I thought my Doc was going to say 6 more weeks NWB...He said if it starts to hurt to bad back off on how much weight I put on it....Will keep you informed.

04-14-2010, 01:48 PM

Well I'm back Glad to hear your doing good caseyma24, I went to the Doc Friday the 9th of April 12 weeks since I broke it was looking to be done with this whole thing ...Doc says it is not healing as fast as it should 6 more weeks...DAMMMMMM IT...............6 more weeks well what do I do know, what your Doc say caseyma24?

05-20-2010, 03:11 Pm

Well.....WTF.....UPDATE....
Had two weeks to go before I went for my 2nd 6 weeks check up to see if I was done with this Fib/Tib break? Wake up with a little redness and was soreness on the 11th of May called the Doc told him I had a little hole in my leg ,He said to come in the next day, woke up on the 12th and leg was killing me. Went to the Doc I had Puss and blood coming from the little hole. Doc said you have infection; you have to go to the Hospital on the 13th. Went in for surgery (on 13th) they took out all the hardware 15 screws and plate, He also took out the old hard ware from my ankle from 15 years ago .Was in the Hospital for 4 days took cultures and did test ...Well I have MSSA infection in the bone , They put a picc line in my arm that goes 2 inches from my heart....at 8 o clock every day I take antibiotics tough the picc line. In the Hospital I was getting them 4 times a day. I came back to work on the 18th some one has to feed the family.
So it is like starting all over again I go back to the OS in 10 days He is going to put a hard cast on for 6-8 Weeks. I have a nurse come to the house on Mondays to take blood and change dressing on the picc line .In July I get blood clot in my arm so they have to take out Picc line and put it in the other arm.

09/16/2010

Well I’m still here still since the last post I have had the infection come back for the second time, Went back into the hospital surgery again the clean it out ,this was the last week in July. 4 more days in hospital this time they send me home with a new Picc line and a bag 9that hold my antibiotics that I have to carry everywhere I go, bath, bed work… everywhere !!!! Had it for six weeks. Picc line just came out about a week ago. Now it is a waiting game to see if it comes back. Went to see OS last week he said leg is doing better. I still have on walking boot, but at least I can take it off well I go to bed. I am still on crunches been on them for over 9 months.

So to sum it up fast
Broke leg Jan.15 got 15 screws and a plate
Have had 3 surgeries
3 Picc lines
2 infections
And still on crutches, been 9 months …..But it is and will get better.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,728 times
Hi, i had a car accident back in oct 2004, it was a compound fracture including the tibia and fibula, it shattered from the engine pushing the brakes into the car, they put screws on the outside, they didnt want to put the rod til they knew my reaction w/. The metal and bcuz of the open wound, they changed the screws to an even larger brace w/. Even more screws a month after the initial surgery to place the bones back correctly, they decided not to go w/. The rod due to the infections i was getting w/. The screws. It was and still is a long recovery what delayed my recovery was the open wound being where they needed to put the screws, i was started putting weight on the ankle w/. A brace and screws 3 months after, also i opted out of physical therapy and did the therapy on my own on a daily basis, stretches and walking.i also had a bone stimulator in the end at 9 to 13 months i was finally able to put full weight on my ankle but i still had and still have a 1/3 inch gap wher it never healed so i still have a certain amount of pian after walking, standing, in every thing to each his own, just push to as far as you know you can handle, one thing i do believed helped a lot was calcium w? Vit d i think it called coral calcium i had my accident at age 21 and was told by my oth surgeon that i was already at an age that slowed bone growth down,

Old 09-25-2010, 03:32 AM

3 posts, read 17,199 times
Gabby,

I had the screws removed from the rod in my tibia after 6 months of no bone filling the gap of the shattered area of the bone (had been kicked by a horse). The bone finally began to join at 8 months. I also started using a bone stimulator.

But what I wasn't told was that there was a risk that my leg would be shorter! My broken leg is now 5/8" shorter and I didn't know it until trying to figure out why my opposite hip and my back were in so much pain. I now wear a lift in my shoe, which helps. But I probably would have toughed out the slow healing if I had known this could be the result. I did have a pretty large area of shattering so the result isn't probably the same for everyone.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:36 AM

Hi,

I am new here and have a question about healing down the road. I had a compound fracture of my tib/fib with internal fixation in 2003. When I finally healed, I haven't had any problems until now. Lately the leg is mildly hurting now near the knee and ankle. I am wondering if I've gotten an infection somehow or that my body is starting to reject the titanium rod. Does anyone know if this has happened to anyone else?

Old 09-25-2010, 03:40 AM

Oh, oh, there was a really good site back then called MyBrokenLeg.com - Broken leg stories and advice. It was a lifesaver while I was healing, just like this forum must be for everyone here.

I am grateful that I didn't have this accident back in the days where you had to stay in the hospital for 6 months with a leg up in traction! That's how they treated tib/fib breaks 20 years ago. Can you imagine?!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:27 PM

32 posts, read 135,737 times
Hello Folks:

Well it has been over a year that I fractured my tibia. Please view my previous postings.. Thank God, I am somewhat back to normal. However, I do have pain and swelling. I visit the Dr. last month and he was impressed with the recovery since I was not a good patient.. I am thinking of having the hardware removed. I have a plate and 7 screws. I am giving this some thought since I will have to be in crutches for one month, That is the least of the problem.. I fear another surgery and thinking maybe I will not walk again. Being in a wheelchair for 6 months and using cane and walker you can sincerely appreciate walking,, Has anyone had hardware removed... Please share...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness