U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 PM

30 posts, read 79,789 times

Advertisements

I went to the fracture clinic today, about 3 1/2 weeks after my injury. One thing I noted was that my cracked rib doesn't bother me anymore, which is a blessing.

On my way to the clinic I was going down the hallway in my wheelchair. There were 4 people walking towards me, completely blocking the corridor. This woman stops directly in front and glares at me. I say 'seriously' (I *did* not say what I was thinking, which was get out of the way you moron). She says 'what?'. I said 'You are on the wrong side of the road'. She got out of the way and cursed me all the way down the hallway. What did she expect - I was going to fly over her head?

People are so stupid.

I was disappointed they didn't give me an air cast (it would be nice to take a real bath), however, the doctor wants me back in 2 weeks and he says they'll give me one then. I am expected to begin to be weight bearing in 4 weeks from now if I understood correctly.

I was disappointed, but that's life. They removed my old cast to see how the wounds are healing. All the blister are gone, and the only bit of raw flesh is the center of an old blister which hasn't healed fully yet. The nurse called it an ulcer, but its not infected or anything. The blister was about 1.5 to 2" in diameter and the ulcer is about the size of a quarter. Apparently its where the bone almost came through the skin.

The doctor says I am progressing well. He had been concerned about
infection, but no more.

I came home with a new, purple cast.

Last edited by Mingybear; 02-08-2011 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 10,692 times
Rod vs plate has nothing to do with age but rather the location and type of fracture. I had to have both first a rod that healed a lower fracture then a plate that healed the upper fracture. The canal widens further up the shaft so the rodding technique did not work for my upper fracture. Also was load bearing in 12 weeks with the rod but 6 weeks with the plate one year later so go figure.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,254 times
Default Clean Brake Of Tibia Re-Growth

Hi,

I broke my bottom third (clean) of my Tibia whilst playing Football, this was on the 02Jan this year. I didn't require surgery, but am in a full leg cast currently. I went for another follow up x-ray today expecting to maybe see some bone re-growth, but there didn't seem to be hardly any, if any at all. The bones have come together & are aligned quite nicely, I was wondering whether I should be seeing any bone re-growth at this stage? I realise it is only just over 5 weeks since my break, so maybe I am expecting too much too early. My orthopaedic suggested that I should maybe bear the slightest of weight on my heal whilst on my crutches every now, & then. This may help speed up re-growth, I’m not overly sure whether I should be putting any weight on my leg since it hasn’t started to heel yet. I am 27, none smoker, & a very active person.

Please note this x-ray was taken 3 weeks ago, but today x-ray way identical to this pretty much. Sorry for the poor quality I had to take it with my phone.

I feel kind of bad posting this since a majority of people on this topic are a lot worse than I am, I really do feel for you guys.

Thanks for your time & help.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM

I am not a doctor, but it is my impression is that in the early stages it can be very hard to spot knitting. The orthapedic technician told me that weight helps build density. I would pay close attention to what your doctor says and do it. They see a lot more broken tibias than the average person!

Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,225 times
Hello on April 3rd 2010 I was hit head on by a drunk driver, I broke my tib/fib , my femur and my humorus . Had to have surgery on all of them. I have rods, and screws and plates and since my leg that I broke my tib/fib goes to the right as does that foot. It is very frustrating and I wonder down the line what it will look/ be like. It has already gotten so much worse.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:48 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,450,564 times
You should be asking your surgeon why it's worse. No one here knows the exact nature of the break, or the treatment, or what kind of physical therapy you were given, vs. how much of the medical advice you actually put to use, etc. etc. etc.

My femur healed within 8 months, and they took the steel rod out a year after that. I never had a lick of trouble after that, although due to scar tissue, sitting with my legs dangling off the chair is uncomfortable. I've always preferred sitting crosslegged anyway so it's not a setback of any kind to me.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:13 AM

2 posts, read 10,417 times
Hello all!

This past Thursday I was walking out of my dormitory to go back to class and slipped on the 2-inch thick coating of ice right off the bottom step of the entrance way. I have fractured both my tibia and fibula. My fixation surgery is scheduled for Friday (three screws and a plate). I have already seen one orthopedic back at school (I'm a 20-year old sophomore in college), but the doctor suggested that I come home to have my surgery completed and after my medical leave is up he would look over my healing process (my college is six hours away).
I have never had such a bad break before, but I'm no stranger to pain. Being that this is such a fresh break, I just was wondering what to expect during the healing process. My entire body is covered in aches and pains. The main concern is my joints, however. I have rheumatoid arthritis. Have any of you had any issues with bone healing because of this? My inflammation right now is beyond the norm for a break. Because I am not weight-bearing on one foot, my hip and knees of my damaged leg are suffering. The pain is equivalent to bursitis.
How is the pain after surgery?
I'm currently on percocet, but that wears off very fast (within three hours and only just takes off the edge).
Do they usually put a hard cast on after the surgery or is an external fixator used?

Thank you for any and all information.
I hope all of you are on your way to a speedy recovery!

Old 02-13-2011, 05:31 PM

I suspect that pain depends on a lot of factors, including you.

My experience was this. I had a very bad break (see above) Prior to the surgery I was in a lot of pain and on morphine, which wasn't as much fun as you'd think. After the surgery, the pain was a lot less, and they moved me to Percocet and a few other goodies while i was in the hospital. Once I went home, which was four days after surgery, I was given a prescription for more Pecocet and Oxycontin (?). I didn't have to take any Oxycontin, and only took Percocet a few times over a few days. Then I shifted to Tylenol 'as required'. I didn't want to get addicted, plus, well, opiates like Percocet give you *nasty* constipation. After about a week I was taking Tylenol only before bed. Now, almost a month after the break, I don't take anything.

I hope you have a similar experience - pain is unavoidable, but its nice when it goes away.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 10,417 times
Thank you for the info!

I have one more question...

I have tickets to see Lady Gaga on the 21st. (four days after my surgery)
If I go in a wheel chair, you think it'd be an okay idea to go?
I've had these tickets for 8 months; bad timing is bad.
I may post-pone my surgery date until the day after.
Ortho tomorrow afternoon.
Hope all goes well.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:51 AM

13,253 posts, read 37,450,564 times
You won't be in any condition to enjoy a concert hall atmosphere. You'll either be too drugged up to comprehend your surroundings, or you'll be too paranoid and afraid someone will bump into you. Or possibly a combination of both. Four days after surgery you'll probably still be swollen, you'll be black and blue, you'll be achy, and your lungs will -just about- be recovered from intubation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness