U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,146 times

Advertisements

I was involved in a car accident 2/4/2011 I broke my tib and fib and had a plate and ten screws placed in my ankle. This has been the hardest time of my life I think. I have been in so much pain and agony bc of it. I called my dr when i was experiencing abnormal pain and was told that it was normal and its bc im not taking my percocet. I explained to her that i have an opiate dependency and can not take percocet. SHe then began to say omg I have never known someone with such a weak tolerence and that i should be taking the percocet and she said theres no way that i will get addicted in a couple months of taking them. She obviously doesnt know about addiction to opiates. So I had my cast off and stitches out in just two weeks ..i wouldnt wear the boot they gave me bc i couldnt get my foot in it all the way without bearing weight. I was told tht I was crazy and she has seen 90yr old women put that boot on,she continued screaming at me and saying i need a mental evaluation and that she thinks i have more probs then just a broen ankle. I left tht office feeling so crappy about life and myself. I do not know what to do and she also screamed that she was seeing me w out insurance and i was lucky. IDK what I ever did to this woman for her to have such a lack of compassion. Can somebody please help Im still feeling like my foot is not attatched to my leg its the weirdest feeling.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 PM

30 posts, read 79,832 times
HELPIMBROKEN
It sounds like you need a second opinion. Maybe thats easy for me to say because I live in Canada (free high quality healthcare for all) but any doctor should know that people have different pain thresholds and pain can vary a lot depending on the nature of the break. I am astonished they would pull the cast in two weeks - I though 4 weeks was heroic but again, it depends.

Real bad stuff can happen to you if you get an infection etc., so find another doctor and start off with your story and your opiate problem.

By they way Tylenol works remarkably well on this sort of pain, but don't exceed the recommended dosage without medical advice.

And I understand depression is not unusual with this sort of injury.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:39 PM

Update

I went from 2 crutches to 1 crutch to a cane within 10 days of becoming weight bearing. I started physiotherapy last Monday (8 weeks after my accident). She gave me some exercises to do, which greatly improved my ankle mobility. Another thing I found out is I was using the crutch/cane on the wrong side : its supposed to be used on you good side! Who knew?

I started putting more and more weight on my bad leg and have basically stopped using a cane because it was just something to carry around.

I had been wearing the Aircast stirrup and was terrified to walk without it becuase I thought it was supporting the broken leg. She told me this was just to support a weak ankle. So yesterday (9 weeks post break) I started walking around without it. This means I can wear two shoes the same size, vs. on size 11 and one size 13.

I now walk around with no cane and no stirrup. I have a limp and going down stairs is no fun because my ankle is still stiff. Its a bit like a rusty hinge so I have to do warm up exercises with my foot if I haven't moved in a while which helps a lot.

I guess the conclusion is, thing move pretty fast once you get the cast off. Of course I have been relatively pain free once they did the surgery which helps.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:24 PM

Location: I'm out searching for me... If you see me, let me know... ;--)
3,475 posts, read 1,927,651 times
Default Just found this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingybear View Post
Just in case anybody is out there, I have been walking with crutches for almost a week now. Things improved faster than I would have expected. It sort of feels like my fracture is itchy, which is kind of weird. So long as I don't twist my ankle I have little pain, except my sole, which probably isn't used to being walked on, and my Achilie's tendon. Both are minor issues.

I bought a car to temporarily replace my pickup truck, which is too high, and too big to wrestle with - plus it has a standard transmission.

I drove into work solo. This was actually pretty tiring mentally. I guess it isn't just my sole which got used to not having to do anything. I spend a few hours at work and drove back home, stopping at the mall on the way. All in I probably walked a couple miles.

Its nice to be mobile!
I am glad you are progressing nicely. I remember the feeling of being able to walk again! It was an awesome feeling!

I had ankle surgery- recovered around Jan 2008. Then, I broke my leg Nov 2009! I had just thought that I couldn't remember what it was like to be able to walk again.

I also understand about going back to work and how tiring that is. I had to use a wheelchair because I had long corridors at work. That made my recovery longer.

Keep up the good work!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 AM

Location: I'm out searching for me... If you see me, let me know... ;--)
3,475 posts, read 1,927,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzzyk View Post
my husband basically crushed his tibia and fibula just above the ankle when he was pinned between a pole and forklift a few days ago. the doctor surgically did a external fix and then hubby goes for a more permanent fix after the swelling goes down. i am having the problem right now because hubby is a hoarder and now it is up to me to get the house in order for him to come home. i can understand the emotionally problems that go on for the people that have the injuries but what about the people that have the position of caregiver to a hoarder? we have problems too and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi kuzzyk,

Sorry to hear of your husband's accident. I had ankle surgery and a broken leg (as mentioned above) a year later. I had to stay at a rehabilitation center because I had no one at home. The main thing to make sure is that there are clear space for him to move around. Is the bedroom on the first level? Are there steps in the house? If he has to manage stairs, the hospital should help him learn to navigate stairs.

How is he doing now? I know this is a stressful time. Remember, this is temporary, even if it seems to last forever.

Best wishes and take the best care of you too!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 AM

11,317 posts, read 21,441,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELPIMBROKEN View Post
I was involved in a car accident 2/4/2011 I broke my tib and fib and had a plate and ten screws placed in my ankle. This has been the hardest time of my life I think. I have been in so much pain and agony bc of it. I called my dr when i was experiencing abnormal pain and was told that it was normal and its bc im not taking my percocet. I explained to her that i have an opiate dependency and can not take percocet. SHe then began to say omg I have never known someone with such a weak tolerence and that i should be taking the percocet and she said theres no way that i will get addicted in a couple months of taking them. She obviously doesnt know about addiction to opiates. So I had my cast off and stitches out in just two weeks ..i wouldnt wear the boot they gave me bc i couldnt get my foot in it all the way without bearing weight. I was told tht I was crazy and she has seen 90yr old women put that boot on,she continued screaming at me and saying i need a mental evaluation and that she thinks i have more probs then just a broen ankle. I left tht office feeling so crappy about life and myself. I do not know what to do and she also screamed that she was seeing me w out insurance and i was lucky. IDK what I ever did to this woman for her to have such a lack of compassion. Can somebody please help Im still feeling like my foot is not attatched to my leg its the weirdest feeling.
You can get addicted within a few months...you can definitely go through withdrawal when you quit taking the pain meds. That said, I don't know how you're managing without them.

You might ask your doctor about prescribing a NSAID...stronger than you can buy OTC but you're not going to get addicted to them. I wasn't allowed to take NSAIDs until xray showed that the bone had filled in...don't know why...but have taken Aleve ever since. It seems to take a couple days to become really effective.

I think you should see about changing doctors. You mentioned you don't have insurance but you must be getting care through some kind of agency...county health plan, charity clinic, etc...and there must be someone you could talk to about changing doctors...or if you're paying cash just find a different doctor on your own.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:30 PM

19 posts, read 49,480 times
Default Going Weight Bearing

I had surgery for a broken tib and fib - plates and screws were inserted. I'm 8 weeks post-op and can go weight bearing with a boot this weekend. I've been doing range of motion and strengthening exercises for the past week or so. All I've heard is that it is going to hurt so much, I'll think the doctor was wrong to give me the green light to go weight bearing. Any tips? Thanks.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 PM

2Crutches

Honestly, despite a severe break (Dr: "Your tibia exploded") I was very fortunate in having minimal pain. It is my understanding that 6-8 weeks post op, if the Dr. is saying go weight bearing you should do so. It is supposed to help build strength in the bone.

My experience was of exhaustion more than pain. So I started doing laps around my house. First one lap, then two, then five, etc.. I found the more you do the easier it gets.

That being said pain varies from one person to the next. Try and overcome. Its worth it.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:37 PM

19 posts, read 49,480 times
Mingybear, thanks. It helps to get an idea of what comes next. It's been such a long wait to get to this point. I'm looking forward to the weight bearing, but I'm also concerned about taking that first step.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:45 PM

So, 2Crutches, how did you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness