Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 PM

5 posts, read 38,919 times

Advertisements

::Update:: 8/9/12 I saw the doc today, and released to return to work!! This comes 2 days shy of 7 weeks post injury. I've been complete weight bearing last three weeks, minor swelling, vascular improvement and pain has diminished. I'm more stiff than anything. Fib will not heal, but with the hardware I have, doc feels sure it will not pose a problem. I wish everyone a speedy recovery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,220 times
Hi i have just found this web site and i am not alone.Ibroke my tib and fib and was walking on it in great pain for 12wks before my Doctor xrayed it.I then had to have A ORIF (open redution inturnal fixation) and abone graft 2plates 12 screws and a scar on my hip were they took the bone graft.This happend in feb 12 open plaster cast for 2wks then a cam boot for 16wks.had to wear the boot 23hrs a day and take it off to exercise.Ankle still swells up looks like a rubber ring has been inflated inside my ankle very odd.Still in pain cant walk very far still have to use a crutch but its better than sitting on my bum all day for 12wks like before.My problem now is shoes nothing fits they cut into my ankle and have no surport anyone no if they make shoes that dont cut into the ankle(in the UK).I no things are better but it will never be the same i wont be able take winnie out (my labradore dog)out on the beach for a while if ever.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:02 AM

5 posts, read 27,913 times
I broke my Tibia and Fibula approx 4 weeks ago running. I had tripped on a brick and broke my leg in mid flight. Had been in hospital for 2 weeks before surgery and a further week afterwards in recovery. The surgeons mentioned I had a nasty break - just below the knee. I'm to be non weight bearing for the next 6-8 weeks, then crutchers for the next 3 months. The Physio boys mentioned that I won't be able to run for 6 months.

I'm still struggling with the swelling - sleeping in the spare bedroom until I can sleep properly. I'm feeling frustrated that I'm not independent. I'm relying on my husband who is also stressed out at work, so I'm feeling guilty that he does everything for me. I'm also back at work (cause I love my job), however the first day I pushed it too much that my foot ached when I got home to the point of tears.

I'm normally such a happy person, however I feel so low. I cry all the time...I'm struggling to see the light at the tunnel. It's awesome to find a site where people have been in the same situation as me.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM

Smilybeck: Welcome to 'Group of the broken'. First off, sounds like you might make a fast and full recovery from the location of your break, you didn't include many details but you mentioned being a runner, so that helps. The recovery time is in your hands, look into supplements such as calcium, work on your pt and KNOW that very soon you will be retaking much of your life. Elevate as much as possible, soak the leg in warm water and use the information given to you as a guide line, not the rules. Frustration is something everyone experiences, but in a few weeks, I am betting you will be a new person, chomping at the bit to get on with your life. As for the pain, well, get to know it. I hope yours will go away quickly, but recognize the differences in "good pain" and "bad pain" so you can determine before hand when you might be getting close to over doing it. If you are younger (20-40) I expect some significant improvements in the next two weeks. I'm only 2 1/2 months post injury and have returned to work and completed my last doctors appointment, so hang in there and get past that "feeling helpless" state that we all go through, good luck.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:51 PM

20,887 posts, read 28,254,661 times
My mom broke her tibia August 24th. She spent 4 days in the hospital, had emergency surgery the day after she was admitted. She has 2 plates and I am not sure how many screws. She also shattered the bones as well. Surgery was 3 hours. She is now in rehab almost 2 weeks and she is really doing well. She is 67 and she was going upstairs in her home to bring a basket, missed her footing and fell going up.She really did a number on her leg. She will be out of work until November, she cannot put full weight on her bad leg yet. Her doctor is seeing her on the 14th and I will be going with her. She gets her stiches out then. She has about 10 stiches on either side of her leg and about 4 stiches on top. She broke her tibia just below the knee. She keeps saying she feels bad for my husband and I that she did this. I told her it's an accident that could happen to anyone. I am very proud of her progress so far.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,170 times
Hi every one I fractured my Tibia and Fibula in a car accident on the 21 August this year and had surgery on the same day, I have an external fixator and stitches where the bones stuck out , i get some stiffness and numbness on my toes which I try to wiggle religiously, the swelling on my ankle is going down but Im still numb on some parts of my lower leg . No weight bearing whatsoever and I am looking foward to my first X-ray post the six week period , If all goes well I will graduate to a cast .I'm mighty grateful that they saved my leg but I am so scared that it won't heal or I will get a limp...Nevertheless Im comforted by the fact that I am not alone.How long do you guys think it will take to heal?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgurl27 View Post
Hi every one I fractured my Tibia and Fibula in a car accident on the 21 August this year and had surgery on the same day, I have an external fixator and stitches where the bones stuck out , i get some stiffness and numbness on my toes which I try to wiggle religiously, the swelling on my ankle is going down but Im still numb on some parts of my lower leg . No weight bearing whatsoever and I am looking foward to my first X-ray post the six week period , If all goes well I will graduate to a cast .I'm mighty grateful that they saved my leg but I am so scared that it won't heal or I will get a limp...Nevertheless Im comforted by the fact that I am not alone.How long do you guys think it will take to heal?
depends on everyone's sitiuation, in my mom's case the bone never punctured through the skin and she only broke the tibia, she has plates and screws. She fell August 24th going upstairs to the 2nd floor of her house. She goes to the doctor this friday and gets her stitches out. We will find out then when she can put weight on that leg. She is in rehab now and doing great. She uses a CPM machine for her leg and the maximum is 110 degree angle. She is already at 95 degrees. She has come along way since her fall. Her doctor originally told her she would be out of work at least 3 months.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgurl27 View Post
Get use to the stiffness, it'll be there for awhile. The numbness depends on nerve damage when your bone punctured through the skin, mine is still numb after 3 months and I doubt I'll get much more feeling back (feels weird pulling my sock on) I had 2 plates and 18 screws, broke the fib into 3 pieces and the tib 1, tib went through the skin and I had whats called a dirty wound, meaning a lot of foreign material got into the wound. In less than 2 months my tib healed fully, fib never will due to a piece of bone dying before I had my operation but I was released to return to work. Keep optimistic and keep that leg elevated. The bone should heal quickly but the tissue damage is what will bother you for months afterward. GL

Old 09-17-2012, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 27,913 times
It's been three weeks since surgery and five weeks since I broke my leg.

Lubby - I took a chip out of my left Tibia plateau and fractured my Fibula. I'm 32 - about to turn 33...

Last week I was really struggling to sleep, so my Dr gave me some tablets to help. Been doing a lot better. Although, I like to sleep on my side. Is this ok?

In the last couple of days, I've been getting shooting pains around the break and it feels warm inside. The skin temperature feels normal on the outside. I gather that this is the healing process?

The Tibia around my shin area still feels tender to touch.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM

My mom went to the doctor on spetember 14th. Her leg is healing nicely but she cannot return to work until mid December which she is sort of glad about becasue she hates her job. She may be retiring soon, she's 67. She cannot put any weight on the broken leg until november first. Laying on your side is a no no. At least that's what my mom's doctor said. She still has to wear the brace on her leg as well. She is going home on Monday and I will stay with her. If she is not comfortable being at home then she will stay with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness