Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 03:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle G View Post
Hi I broke my fibula and dislocated my tibula on January 8th 2016 they had to put my ankle back in place and had surgery on the 9th for a Rod and six screws On my fibula and they had to put a rap on my tibula I have to go to the doctors February 16th 2016 do you think he will let me start putting weight on it again it will only make that 5 weeks into it he put me into the boot 11 days after surgery
It's going to depend on how it looks on x-ray. I think it was 9 weeks after my surgery before I could put weight on my leg, because there was a little wedge of bone that hadn't filled in yet when I went to the 6 week appointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,702 times
Hi everyone I am 53 years old, fell out back door missing steps of course, broke tibia and fibula, had surgery 2 days later having plate and 4 screws put in and two long screws jus right over my heel, which dr said those will be removed in a while. my question is, how long am I looking at in recovery and therapy? dr said that in 2 weeks he will take stitches out, put another cast on for 1 monh then come back and take screws out over heel, then recast for a month or so then soft cast for a month then put a boot on and start therapy, seems like an awful long time to be casted. anyone else have any input on this. thanks

Old 02-27-2016, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,686 times
Hello everyone!I was searching the web and found this forum,read all day the posts(as far as 70 pages,lol)
So about me:middle age woman,really stupid accident - slip and fall on the balcony of the rented room,happened on the last day on holiday just before the check out.
X-ray shows multiply fracture of the lower leg:broken fibula and tibia...you know all about the pain.It was so strong that I prefer not to wait for ambulance but to go ER with the help of the landlord.Then when they have to make the x-ray and you cant move the leg,it was really bad.After they put me in cast and I can tell the pain killer they gave me was not good. :/ Then as there was no ambulance at the moment (!!!) and they could not make this operation there,I had to go to another hospital,about an hour away in a small car,front seat,holding my poor leg.Finally I was on a bed,begging for painkillers as the pain was just too strong. Then they decided that cast is no good so took it off and put another one,trying and to fix my leg-well it was such a pain!...And let me tell you that on the second day all I was given for the pain was Paracetamax!They were laughing at me,saying it could not hurt so much?!Being helpless and worried,it just was terrible.Somehow I managed to deal with the pain next weeks(just get used to it),2 weeks after the operation cast removed,and when I saw my leg I was about to cry.Well I didnt as the room was full with doctors but I did when I back home.About 10cm. long ugly scars on the one side of the leg,5cm. on the other side,swallen and red-blue-dark colour... :/ At the beginning doctors said it will be 2 months NWB but now told me it is too early to start with even partial weight bearing as it needs more time to heal after this bad injury and when I saw the gap on the bone,I felt so depressed again.It is 9 weeks now but reading the posts here I guess it will take more time than I thought.It is just so hard to accept all this -being helpless,feeling alone and miserable,the strange feeling that you have 2 plates,and screws in your body and not sure what is going on...2 months on Clexane as well was not a pleasure. Started PT two weeks ago,making my exercises at home but not too much progress so far.Still can not move my ankle as the other one and feel the place so tight as something is not letting me move it higher.Does anyone felt the same?Also yesterday I felt some round shape swelling on the back of the foot and got scared,after I put ice it seems smaller but is this normal?Apologies for the long post but it feels good to share your thoughts with others that do understand.
Oh only one more question-how do you deal with bath tub being NWB?
Thank you all for your time! xxx

Old 03-31-2016, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,609 times
Hi everyone
I am 5 weeks post op
On a dislocated left ankle and broken tibua and fibula
I got the walking boot on Tuesday and I have having a hard time sleeping with it ! Also still non weight bearing and that is difficult because I have 4 kids and I am trying not to walk on it has anyone walked 5 weeks post op and been ok ?' I have a plate three screw and one screw straight through holding them all together also having some pain in my calf is that normal

Old 07-12-2016, 10:28 AM

108 posts, read 131,702 times
i was in a car crash and broke tib and fib. I have been in an external fixator since may 11th. I get a boot on Aug 2nd. I have to wear it 6 weeks. Then alot of PT. All of this has been non weight bearing. The only issues from a pain standpoint i am facing is when i put my leg down within minutes it starts to really hurt and turns eggplant purple . Has anyone had this pain issue? If so did it go away?

Old 07-24-2016, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,873 times
Hi. I'm 2 months out from surgery. I broke tib/fib and the growth plate was crushed. My doctor said I could start putting full weight on my leg but I'm having trouble balancing one one crutch. Does any one have any advice on how to walk on one crutch?

Old 07-24-2016, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,873 times
Hey cchswpcuk. My sister has a walkin shower and a rolling portable commode. I got lucky. She also has a bench that sits half in half out of the tub you sit and slide over into the tub. You can get it at the medical supply store. Hope that helps you.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,734 times
20 week in slowly healing. A bit hard when i wake up an start my day but after a shower an out the house. First just for couple of hr, then a push my self more an more to walk. My ankle still hurts an swells up but not as must as the thought of not being about to walk agian. Thankfully i had a great Dr

Old 09-03-2016, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdreisbach View Post
Hi. I'm 2 months out from surgery. I broke tib/fib and the growth plate was crushed. My doctor said I could start putting full weight on my leg but I'm having trouble balancing one one crutch. Does any one have any advice on how to walk on one crutch?
Put the crutch on the same side as the good leg an step out with the bad leg an the crutch at the same time. Small steps at first till you feel more an more comfortable. Sure it not eazy but it will in time youll be able to drop that last crutch.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:33 PM

56 posts, read 43,818 times
Bumping this thread up with my story:

December 3, 2016 broke my tibia (end of the bone ended up in 3 pieces) and fibula (broke a butterfly shaped hunk out) while riding a dirt bike when another rider hit me.

Two surgeries with an ex-fix in between. End result being 2 plates and 18 screws.

Things seemed to be progressing well, when lo and behold I ended with an infection over the tibia plate (also the location of a nasty fracture blister).

Currently on my final week of a 6 week course of IV antibiotics, 3x/day, every day, then will be on orals until hardware is removed (which is up to the orthopedist more than the ID doc).

REALLY nervous about it potentially becoming chronic osteomyelitis. As soon as this manifested, I was in surgery (again) for a clean, debribe, and then referred to the ID doc, so it was lingering a maximum of 4 months - zero signs of it until a week before surgery, and even then it was hard to know that's what was going on until just a couple days before I saw my ortho.

Other than that, however, currently leg feels pretty good, other than the rehab from that long off of it. Muscles and tendons are rather cranky, I'm trying to use it more now that it's feeling better, but dang I pay for it some days when my muscles just cramp up! Also want to use it as much as is remotely comfortable at this point to get as much healing done as possible before we remove hardware and turn my bone into swiss cheese again....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness