Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 01:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalty1234 View Post
Hi everyone, I broke my tibia and fibula slipping on ice walking the sidewalk going down a hill. That happened January 24th, had surgery January 26, I had a soft cast after surgery until February 13th when they put a cast on. I now have a boot when the cast came off on March 6th. My problem is I have a scooter I have been using to get around but now that they say I can begin using for balance and then 50 % weight bearing a week later they gave me crutches and or walker. I cannot use because my other knee is bad and can’t handle my weight. Not sure what to do from here now but even a little weight and my ankle hurts where I have the srews. It’s the weekend so I can’t call the doctors as to what to do yet. Any suggestions out there or has anyone else run into this problem?
Just keep getting around the same way you were getting around for this weekend and then call your doctor on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 529 times
Thought I would share my experience. I broke my tibia and fibula on October 10, 2019. I had ORIF surgery the next day. They put me in a cam boot, but never explained to me why that was chosen over a regular cast. I had the boot NWB for 6 weeks and then at my appointment was told I could start PT and be FWB as tolerated. My physical therapist is awesome! Definitely get PT.
Here are some of the topics I wish my doctor would have talked to me about:
- diet (protein, calcium, fruits and vegetables is what I found in my research)
- supplements (calcium is what I ended up taking; other?)
- x-rays (I honestly didn't even think about taking pics with my phone, doctor or nurse should have suggested it)
- exercises (At my 2 week post op visit, I was told to flex and rotate my foot, but I definitely think I could have added other exercises each week until I started PT, especially for my knee. I did lift light weights for my arms, but there are other muscle groups I'm sure I could have focused on also.)
- NWB to FWB (I found it strange to be told that could move right to FWB with the boot. I ended up putting gradual pressure on it, so technically I was partial anyways.)
These are the the main topics for me that would have helped prepared me for these long weeks of recovery. I also recommend using a walker (crutches scare me). Get some accessories for the walker (soft handle grips and a bag on the front). Accept all and any help. My mom has been a lifesaver and I needed extra help at work from coworkers. There is some info on the Internet, but not as much as should be for the recovery phases. I know everyone's recovery is different including the timeline. Good luck and a safe recovery to everyone. I hoping for a Christmas miracle to be walking (limping) in a shoe by then.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 398 times
Default Recovery from Fractured Tibia and Fibula

Just wanted to say thank you for your advice and tips. I'm trying to think of something I can use as a bag to go on my walker. Really wish I came across this post earlier.

Today is the 1 month anniversary of my surgery for my broken tibia and fibula on left leg. They put in a rod along with screws. I have no clue if I am making good progress. I also did not have a clue about what to expect during recovery.

Just would like to add some other tips: 1) Get a temporary handicap placard ASAP. If you have AAA membership, you can get one from them at their local office. 2) You may have a lot of appointments afterwards with physicians, tests, or home health care. Try to keep notes of your appointments so you don't end up conflicting your schedule. 3) Depression can happen. It's happening to me and currently working with my primary care physician on the matter. I suggest for anyone to do the same.

This is all I can think of for now. But hey, feel free to ask me any questions.

Last edited by Cricket2020; 03-05-2020 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Additional tips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness