Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 09:20 AM

51 posts, read 229,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernosian View Post
Hi all I'm new here. Searched the net and found this forum by chance.

I fell down from a downward slope, and broke my right tibia and fibula on 15 Jan 2010, and underwent a surgery on 16 Jan in which the doctors put 2 screws and a long rod at my tibia. The screws were near my ankle and knee. My right fibula only experienced a minor fracture and the doctor left it to heal itself.

The doctors stitched my right leg, and put some kind of cotton padding before bandaging my right leg. I have been resting on bed and walking around on crutches. Walking on crutches uses a lot of my arm power and my left leg, till now I could significantly feel the softening of my right thigh muscles.

I am on painkillers and some kind of antibiotics which are supposed to prevent infection. For the first few days I could already feel some itchness on my right leg, which I think should be the closing of the incision wounds. That was normal I hope.

Up to now I have not seen how my right leg was because it is still in bandage and I am supposed to remove the stitches tomorrow. I hope it would not look to unpleasant.

I could also bend my right knee, but once I bend it to an angle near 90 degrees, there is a kind of restriction around my knee area that forbids me to bend it more.

I'm starting to become worried that I might not be able to squat after my right leg has fully recovered.

Does anyone have the same condition as me? How long did you take to recover? And would you remove the metal rods and screws after your leg has recovered?

Please, I am desperately needing some guidance.
I broke my tibia and fibula on 9/24 (3 breaks one compound (open) and all were spiral fractures). I also have 2 screws (1 at ankle and 1 at knee) and a long rod and experienced the same knee restriction following the surgery. I asked my OS to start physical therapy early just because of the knee. I also had no range of motion in my ankle at that point. He gave me orders to start PT week 3 following my surgery with no weight bearing. I was no weight bearing for 6 weeks. In week 7 I was given permission to start toe touch (~10%) weight bearing during my physical therapy sessions and exercises gradually increasing the weight bearing until I was fully weight bearing and weaned from crutches/walker at the end of 6 more weeks. I think starting PT early was the best thing I could have done. My knee started recovering much more quickly than my ankle. I still have some restriction in my ankle because of the placement of the screw and a numb spot on the right side of my knee (opposite the side with the screw - I think from the insertion of the rod though) that may or may not ever recover but I have full range of motion in my knee again. Sometimes I feel slight pain where the screw has been set near my knee but it is rare now. I am at what I consider 85% 4 months following my break and surgery. I'm functioning normally but there are a few things that I still have to work on (see my earlier post above yours in the forum). My OS says I'm healing as quickly as a teenager would and did tell me the day following my surgery that recovery from this type of injury is 4+ months. This forum has been so helpful in helping me adjust my expectations and given me some specific recovery objectives. As you will see in reading past posts everyone has experienced different recoveries and received different instructions from their OS. It is very important that you follow the instructions from your OS as these injuries while similar are very individual to each person - write down all your questions and either call or ask them at every appointment. My experience has been that if I don't ask I won't be told. Take charge of your recovery and keep as positive of an outlook as you can. I focused on the fact that my being stuck on the couch non-weight bearing with my leg elevated for the first 6 weeks was forcing me to slow down and allowed me to spend more time with my family. I took advantage of it even though it was hard for me. It's emotionally overwhelming at times and that is normal. I can't say enough how the past posts and this group helped me keep my chin up and get through those first 6 really really hard weeks (that seem like they will never end). Once I was able to begin weight bearing things started to get a bit better every day. I was told by my OS that it was ok to move my toes, foot, ankle and knee so I took advantage of that as much as I could and only did as much as I could without causing too much pain. I was afraid to bend my knee until I asked because it felt so restricted.
Diana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 AM

51 posts, read 229,697 times
PS - research the symptoms for blood clots and keep vigilant. If you think there is even a chance that you are having a symptom of a blood clot contact your OS immediately. With the non weight bearing and almost no movement, especially in the first few weeks, it is important to be watchful ... even throughout your recovery until you have more mobility and movement.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:50 AM

16 posts, read 91,475 times
Infernosian--

It sounds like we have similar injuries. I broke my right tibia in four places on January 17th skiing. Many of the symptoms you talk about (itchiness, painkillers, etc.) sound like things I am experiencing; however, I am totally unable to bend my knee (as my break is below my knee) and I was not on any antibiotics. Which now I am wondering why??

I am hoping to get my staples out tomorrow too. I meet with the doctor for the first time. My doctor has reassured me that I will get 100% functioning out of my right leg again and he said that the rods and screws can stay in my leg forever as long as I am comfortable with it.

It sounds as though we both have quite a long road ahead of us. How long are you off your foot for?

Each day gets easier (as least I think so) and I am looking forward to getting better.

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:42 PM

32 posts, read 148,234 times
Infernosian:

I have had the similiar injury, but with seven screws and a plate. Fell 4 feet in my home. Please know that it gets better. The first weeks are crucial and depressing since you cannot move and must depend on folks to do everything for you. I just completed my 4th month. My doctor had me NWB all this time and at the 12th week permitted WB ( january 7). I am going to theraphy 3 times a week. This has been painful, but amazing. I have progressed a great deal. I am walking with a walker and will use a cane soon. I am still home and everyday gets a little easier so hang in there. Know that you will get better, but must adhere to doctors orders. Everyone has a different story and healing. I, too work in a school and not sure when I will return to work. At this point I am focusing on getting better and walking. that is what matters at this time. Still their are times when I get a littele depressed when I cannot do as much, but I am looking for a full recovery and so should you. In the meantime, staying home can be lonely all those hours.. I kept myself busy by reading, TV, computer and chatting on the phone. As your health permits you will find things to keep you busy. Since I had steps and NWB staying home for months was a problem till I got my self confidence back... I find that I lost it with this trauma... Stay well and I hope this helps you. Yes, doctors do not say much since all they are interested is in viewing the XRAYS and how well the bone has healed (at least that was my experiences.. I got much more from this thread and reading how to cope etc)....

Old 01-29-2010, 09:32 PM

12 posts, read 60,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyma24 View Post
Infernosian--

It sounds like we have similar injuries. I broke my right tibia in four places on January 17th skiing. Many of the symptoms you talk about (itchiness, painkillers, etc.) sound like things I am experiencing; however, I am totally unable to bend my knee (as my break is below my knee) and I was not on any antibiotics. Which now I am wondering why??

I am hoping to get my staples out tomorrow too. I meet with the doctor for the first time. My doctor has reassured me that I will get 100% functioning out of my right leg again and he said that the rods and screws can stay in my leg forever as long as I am comfortable with it.

It sounds as though we both have quite a long road ahead of us. How long are you off your foot for?

Each day gets easier (as least I think so) and I am looking forward to getting better.

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences.
You broke your right tibia in 4 places? Couldn't imagine. I only broke at 1 place and it hurt like hell..

Anti-biotics... I wasn't sure, probably because I had surgery and that was to prevent infection.

The area near my knee wasn't hurt during the break; it was only after the operation that there's a restriction in bending my knee. For your case, I guess it needs time to heal because the bone around your knee was damaged.

Yes, each day gets easier! Hopefully I'd recover soon! (Soon is like months away!)

Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankletwister View Post
I broke my tibia and fibula on 9/24 (3 breaks one compound (open) and all were spiral fractures). I also have 2 screws (1 at ankle and 1 at knee) and a long rod and experienced the same knee restriction following the surgery. I asked my OS to start physical therapy early just because of the knee. I also had no range of motion in my ankle at that point. He gave me orders to start PT week 3 following my surgery with no weight bearing. I was no weight bearing for 6 weeks. In week 7 I was given permission to start toe touch (~10%) weight bearing during my physical therapy sessions and exercises gradually increasing the weight bearing until I was fully weight bearing and weaned from crutches/walker at the end of 6 more weeks. I think starting PT early was the best thing I could have done. My knee started recovering much more quickly than my ankle. I still have some restriction in my ankle because of the placement of the screw and a numb spot on the right side of my knee (opposite the side with the screw - I think from the insertion of the rod though) that may or may not ever recover but I have full range of motion in my knee again. Sometimes I feel slight pain where the screw has been set near my knee but it is rare now. I am at what I consider 85% 4 months following my break and surgery. I'm functioning normally but there are a few things that I still have to work on (see my earlier post above yours in the forum). My OS says I'm healing as quickly as a teenager would and did tell me the day following my surgery that recovery from this type of injury is 4+ months. This forum has been so helpful in helping me adjust my expectations and given me some specific recovery objectives. As you will see in reading past posts everyone has experienced different recoveries and received different instructions from their OS. It is very important that you follow the instructions from your OS as these injuries while similar are very individual to each person - write down all your questions and either call or ask them at every appointment. My experience has been that if I don't ask I won't be told. Take charge of your recovery and keep as positive of an outlook as you can. I focused on the fact that my being stuck on the couch non-weight bearing with my leg elevated for the first 6 weeks was forcing me to slow down and allowed me to spend more time with my family. I took advantage of it even though it was hard for me. It's emotionally overwhelming at times and that is normal. I can't say enough how the past posts and this group helped me keep my chin up and get through those first 6 really really hard weeks (that seem like they will never end). Once I was able to begin weight bearing things started to get a bit better every day. I was told by my OS that it was ok to move my toes, foot, ankle and knee so I took advantage of that as much as I could and only did as much as I could without causing too much pain. I was afraid to bend my knee until I asked because it felt so restricted.
Diana
I'm now on my 2nd week to recovery (day 15 in fact). I'll start my physiotherapy quite soon I hope, after my doctor removes my stitches and refer me to a proper physiotherapist. (Have been trying to do some leg movement exercises by myself on bed like leaning to the left or right)

You followed strictly the non-weight bearing thing? I usually rest my right leg on the floor (just a little pressure) because leaving it hanging in mid-air while sitting down, would cause quite some pain around my ankle area. Putting it on the floor and I felt less pain.

Alright, so now I'm less worried about the restriction at my knee. Seems like it's a common problem. Just hope it gets better and I would have the full range of motion soon!

And this is a question to all. How about all of your diets? What do you eat to aid in your recovery?

I searched the net for foods to eat, and other information regarding fractures (that's how I randomly chanced upon this forum) and it seems that avoiding sugar and salt would help in the recovery stage? I've also been drinking milk (calcium) and orange juice (vitamin C), and have been drinking plain water all the way since the day I injured.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneleghopper View Post
Infernosian:

I have had the similiar injury, but with seven screws and a plate. Fell 4 feet in my home. Please know that it gets better. The first weeks are crucial and depressing since you cannot move and must depend on folks to do everything for you. I just completed my 4th month. My doctor had me NWB all this time and at the 12th week permitted WB ( january 7). I am going to theraphy 3 times a week. This has been painful, but amazing. I have progressed a great deal. I am walking with a walker and will use a cane soon. I am still home and everyday gets a little easier so hang in there. Know that you will get better, but must adhere to doctors orders. Everyone has a different story and healing. I, too work in a school and not sure when I will return to work. At this point I am focusing on getting better and walking. that is what matters at this time. Still their are times when I get a littele depressed when I cannot do as much, but I am looking for a full recovery and so should you. In the meantime, staying home can be lonely all those hours.. I kept myself busy by reading, TV, computer and chatting on the phone. As your health permits you will find things to keep you busy. Since I had steps and NWB staying home for months was a problem till I got my self confidence back... I find that I lost it with this trauma... Stay well and I hope this helps you. Yes, doctors do not say much since all they are interested is in viewing the XRAYS and how well the bone has healed (at least that was my experiences.. I got much more from this thread and reading how to cope etc)....
That bolded line is exactly my situation for my first few days. For the first time in my life, I needed help for almost everything I do; till I got crutches and could walk around on my own.

The only good thing is that now my left leg and arms are so much stronger, and I have a better sense of balance on my left leg!

Yes, I'm always looking out for my full recovery! I kept myself occupied by detailing what happened everyday, like the things which I needed help for and who helped me, to how my leg condition is day by day; i.e. keeping a diary.

Also found so much hope that I found this forum (thank God) in which there are so many of you who were (or are) in the same plight as me.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:58 PM

16 posts, read 91,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernosian View Post
I'm now on my 2nd week to recovery (day 15 in fact). I'll start my physiotherapy quite soon I hope, after my doctor removes my stitches and refer me to a proper physiotherapist. (Have been trying to do some leg movement exercises by myself on bed like leaning to the left or right)

You followed strictly the non-weight bearing thing? I usually rest my right leg on the floor (just a little pressure) because leaving it hanging in mid-air while sitting down, would cause quite some pain around my ankle area. Putting it on the floor and I felt less pain.

Alright, so now I'm less worried about the restriction at my knee. Seems like it's a common problem. Just hope it gets better and I would have the full range of motion soon!

And this is a question to all. How about all of your diets? What do you eat to aid in your recovery?

I searched the net for foods to eat, and other information regarding fractures (that's how I randomly chanced upon this forum) and it seems that avoiding sugar and salt would help in the recovery stage? I've also been drinking milk (calcium) and orange juice (vitamin C), and have been drinking plain water all the way since the day I injured.
I too was resting my foot flat on the ground (not thinking I was putting any weight on it) and my doctor said not to do that. He said that when I begin PT next week they will work on building strength in my ankle so that my leg does not hurt when is it just dangling there.

About the diets... I looked online and I also found that staying away from salt and sugar is a good idea. One website said to limit coffee intake and it said to drink non-fat milk.

I was really concerned about not being able to work out so my doctor suggested that I lift weights with my arms and I do crunches to help maintain some muscle tone.

Does anyone have any other good ideas for staying in relatively healthy shape/not gaining weight?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:56 PM

3 posts, read 28,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenPiggy View Post
Hey all, new here. Found this forum just looking through pages about the injury i sustained.

On Thanksgiving I broke me fibula clean in half about 4 inches above the ankle. I also fractured the bottom of the tibula (but did not break all the way).

Anyways, I had surgery a week later and had a plate put on the fibula, and a screw through my entire ankle to keep it stabilized due to over stretched ligaments/tendons.

So I've been down for a month thus far, NWB, but I am only in a splint and I am allowed to move and stretch my ankle (thank god cause it was stiff as hell after 3 weeks).

Atrophy has obviously killed my leg, but im looking forward to having some PWB, which I believe will be about 3 or 4 more weeks (according to my OS).

Lots of good info. on here, but i find it funny how some folks had very much more traumatic injuries than mine and were allowed to put some weight on their bad leg so soon after surgery. I guess its all up to the OS and how he practices.

Either way, good luck to everyone with their recoveries...these types of injuries are absolutely life altering and I hope I NEVER have to go through this again. Other than that I've been in perfect spirits and have my laptop, ipod, tv, books, and keeping myself entertained....I even go out once a week to grab a few beers with the boys and play some poker.

Happy Holidays to everyone, whatever you celebrate.
Just to update, give some hope to all..

I have been in rehab for 3 weeks now, PWB, but sometimes FWB on a treadmill, and all I have to say is that 3 weeks of rehab, probably has me back up to 50% already. Next week I see my OS again (8 weeks after surgery), and I am hoping I can go to FWB.

It has been a rough two months, a new baby in the house, in the process of buying a new home, just stopped getting paid at work, so I would say I am close to being homeless if I do not go back to work soon. Depressing yes, but being able to start to walk again (learning how to walk again) beats out all these other problems. I will surely never take the ability to walk for granted ever again.

Keep the faith! Listen to your doctors! Eat healthy! Stay busy! The time will eventually fly by. Good Luck to all others that are healing.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 14,177 times
wow...i am a motocross racer. On January 3, 2010 i started out on the track as usual for a day of practice before the big race the following weekend, it was not to be. As i rounded the very first corner i was confronted with the very first obsticle on the track which was by my standards and skill level very small. I thought nothing of the small obsticle and half heartedly twisted the throttle to jump it. I didnt clear it, i landed short and a bit sideways and the bike suspension compressed then bucked me sideways through the air. Naturally, i stuck out my left leg to land and took the brunt of the bike, speed, and my weight on that foot/ankle. When i stood up, i immediately felt the bones give way and knew something was wrong. I waved for the medics to come to my aid and they escorted me back to my vehicle where we removed my boots and riding gear to reveal a severly deformed and clearly broken ankle. They loaded me up in the ambulance and took me for an hour long drive to Cleveland Clinic in Weston, Florida. I was given plenty of morphine along the ride and only suffered mild pain and discomfort. Upon my arrival at the hospital, i was taken for x-rays which i never saw but could hear the mumblings and see the puzzled faces of the attending er doctors. The ER doctors told me they would probably release me and send me to a specialist the next day because the break was beyond their expertise. I had a clean break of the fibula, but my tibula was shattered into about six pieces at the ankle. At some point, the attending ER doctors decided to perform a closed reduction ( re-aligning ) of my fibula, that was fun...NOT !! As they doped me up and got ready, i knew what was coming from past experience with my wrist. As the meds set in, the orderly's held me down and the doctor began the barbaric ritual of closed reduction. I had enough med in me for 3 men according to the doctor but was still trying with all my might to kill him and all the orderly's failing to hold me down. I am not a big guy but i am a pretty healthy and fit guy and years of motocross have given me some pretty good strength. When that was over, the on call specialist arrived and immediatley decided i was to go nowhere except directly to the OR for an external fixator to be applied to my lower leg. I spent the night in the hospital for pain control and was released the next day. The specialist ended up taking my case and ultimately being my surgeon. He explained to me that we needed to wait a bit for the swelling to do down and for the fracture blisters to heal up. My lower leg and ankle developed a ton of huge fracture blisters. Well, i finally had surgery on January 21, 2010. I had two plates and about 14 screws inserted to hold my ankle together. The operation was about 4-1/2 hours long. I went home after one night in the hospital with a soft cast. I went back to the doctor on January 26th for a post-op check up. We unwrapped the soft cast to reveal two hug incisions and a couple of smaller ones where the plates and screws had been inserted. Everything looked good and the doc said come back in two weeks we will remove the stitches and take some x-rays. I have cut way down on the pain meds but do still require some here and there. I am hoping to be limping around in an aircast in about 8 weeks and then back to normal in about 5-6 minths. I hope to be back on my bike at the motocross track doing what i love in about 6 months, even if it's a much slower pace untill i fully recover. Thanks for listening to my story. This is my first ankle/leg break but i had an very bad break on my wrist about eight years ago. I thought i was never gonna heal but i did, and i will again. So will you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness