Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 03:54 PM

76 posts, read 415,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles420 View Post
Michele -- can you tell me more about the bone stimulator? It's been 12 weeks since my surgery and I've been NWB this whole time. I went back to the OS today for my 12 week checkup and he said that the xrays look the same as they did 6 weeks ago. They're healing very, very slow (which I saw you also had a problem with) and so he told me to continue to NWB and use a bone stimulator for the next 2months and then come back. The physical therapist hasn't brought me the bone stim yet so I was hoping you could give me some more info on it.

I am only 32 years old and am concerned that I'm not healing fast enough. I wonder if I should have a bone density scan? My OS says no but I'm going to be playing roller derby and that is a pretty brutal, full-contact sport. I think I should make sure my bones can withstand a sport of that nature before I go head-on into it again.
My insurance ok'd the bone stimulator after 90 days past break. I had to wear mine (EBI brand, I think) 10 hrs a day which is long - some people wear for 1-2 hours (don't know if theirs is better?). Your OS contacts your insurance to get you it -- a third party company delivers it to you and shows you how it works. I almost think I got the fastest bone growth once I started riding my stationary bike for 15 min. each night -- at least that is what it appeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 04:06 PM

76 posts, read 415,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles420 View Post
Oh and... did you have to pay for this thing and if so, how much? I have insurance but it's not the best. Is it crazy-expensive or reasonable?
I didn't pay for mine -- but I hear they are about $1000. Just pay attention to your body -- being NWB for that long -- I don't think the lower part of our legs get very good blood circulation when you are NWB. I would talk to your OS about taking an aspirin each day or something to thin your blood. When I ended up with blood clots and in hospital I kept telling people I was NWB for 5 months and many said "and you weren't on anything" (meaning something to thin my blood) -- I still don't know if or what anyone could have done to prevent them -- no one would cop to anything anyway because of potential lawsuits possibly or maybe they really don't offer anything and just hope for the best -- I never did figure that out -- just changed to a different OS. No one in my family is prone to bloodclots -- I know it was because of the break and surgery and inactivity.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:29 PM

16 posts, read 66,089 times
Wow. Ok, that helps a lot. Thanks for your help. The lady called me today and actually said thaht I would be using the Ultrasound one and will only need to use it for 20 mins a day... which is actually unfortunate because a friend of mine's father loaned me his electrical one. So I thought I wasn't gonna have to pay but looks like I am. Bummer. This injury just keeps on getting more expensive by the month. and I know it's only gonna get worse. Wow!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 PM

16 posts, read 66,089 times
Ok, so I got the bone stimulator today and it is the Ultrasound kind, which I only have to wear for 20 mins a day. However, because my $2500 deductible hasn't been met yet, I have to pay $1800 out-of-pocket! This is ridiculous.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,658 times
Hi! I just want to ask some questions regarding my broken fibula. the accident happened last first week of feb 2010 during our basketball game. My friends told me that its just a normal sprain or something so im not worried at all since the pain started to subside. after two months, the pain stared again so I decided to go to hospital for a check up. Unfortunately, we found out that I had a two points fractured fibula on lower part near my ankle. My doctor gave me a medicine and told me that casting is not necessary since the bones are currently healing by it self. I just want to ask if it possible to heal it alone without any operations or casting? here is the link for the XRAY i had. If any one can help me regarding this matter, it will be very much appreciated. [email]blade052003@yahoo.com[/email] [url]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s59/blade052003/legs.jpg[/url]

Old 04-09-2010, 04:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade052003 View Post
Hi! I just want to ask some questions regarding my broken fibula. the accident happened last first week of feb 2010 during our basketball game. My friends told me that its just a normal sprain or something so im not worried at all since the pain started to subside. after two months, the pain stared again so I decided to go to hospital for a check up. Unfortunately, we found out that I had a two points fractured fibula on lower part near my ankle. My doctor gave me a medicine and told me that casting is not necessary since the bones are currently healing by it self. I just want to ask if it possible to heal it alone without any operations or casting? here is the link for the XRAY i had. If any one can help me regarding this matter, it will be very much appreciated. blade052003@yahoo.com http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...52003/legs.jpg

Well if your dr said it had been healing then I wouldn't second guess him. The fibula isn't a weight baring bone and so putting weight on your leg won't be detrimental, as I assume you've been putting weight through it for weeks now. As long as your ankle and knee are in line then the bone can heal in any wiggly line it wants, so surgery is unlikely for a fibula fracture.
Although Im not a medical professional, just a professional bone breaker. Do as your doctor says im sure it'll be fine.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 AM

189 posts, read 795,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade052003 View Post
Hi! I just want to ask some questions regarding my broken fibula. the accident happened last first week of feb 2010 during our basketball game. My friends told me that its just a normal sprain or something so im not worried at all since the pain started to subside. after two months, the pain stared again so I decided to go to hospital for a check up. Unfortunately, we found out that I had a two points fractured fibula on lower part near my ankle. My doctor gave me a medicine and told me that casting is not necessary since the bones are currently healing by it self. I just want to ask if it possible to heal it alone without any operations or casting? here is the link for the XRAY i had. If any one can help me regarding this matter, it will be very much appreciated. blade052003@yahoo.com http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...52003/legs.jpg

I looked at your x-rays and just to be on the safe side I would suggest getting a second opinion.

Nanny

Old 04-11-2010, 09:38 AM

9 posts, read 58,013 times
it's been a while since i last posted something here.
it's been 7.5 months already since i break my tibia and fib in 2 places. got a rod and 3 screws on my tibia and plate and screws for my fibula. no cast. spent 3 days in the hospital, went home on crutches, spent most of the first month lying on bed, though i made it a habit to walk a bit at morning and afternoon..lots of stretching.pain was really bad first week after that it gets better, i didnt take pain killers after 3 days.
after 2 months completely off the crutches...bone is healing perfectly.a bit of limp for a couple of days. still some swelling but not too bad.
3 months and im walking faster.started going back to the gym doing mostly upper body exercise.still just stretching exercise for my right leg.
4 -6th months and im doing back squats and front squats, lunges, dead lifts...wohoo.of course with a reduce weight but still a good exercise to strengthen the leg.
7th month - started to run again. spent 55 mins on the treadmill walking and running. also started doing box jumps..
it feels good to finally being normal again. my advise to my fellow leg breakers, dont lose hope, everything will get better in time. be patient. listen to your body

Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 AM

16 posts, read 91,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan1980 View Post
it's been a while since i last posted something here.
it's been 7.5 months already since i break my tibia and fib in 2 places. got a rod and 3 screws on my tibia and plate and screws for my fibula. no cast. spent 3 days in the hospital, went home on crutches, spent most of the first month lying on bed, though i made it a habit to walk a bit at morning and afternoon..lots of stretching.pain was really bad first week after that it gets better, i didnt take pain killers after 3 days.
after 2 months completely off the crutches...bone is healing perfectly.a bit of limp for a couple of days. still some swelling but not too bad.
3 months and im walking faster.started going back to the gym doing mostly upper body exercise.still just stretching exercise for my right leg.
4 -6th months and im doing back squats and front squats, lunges, dead lifts...wohoo.of course with a reduce weight but still a good exercise to strengthen the leg.
7th month - started to run again. spent 55 mins on the treadmill walking and running. also started doing box jumps..
it feels good to finally being normal again. my advise to my fellow leg breakers, dont lose hope, everything will get better in time. be patient. listen to your body
Thanks for your update. I am meeting with my doctor on Friday and the PT says she believes he will give me clearance to bear weight for the first time in 12 1/2 weeks! Your recovery sounds very similar to mine... no cast, 3 days in hospital, some pain, but not enough to take the drugs after a few days after surgery, etc. I am looking forward to getting back to the gym, walking, and running. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 AM

7 posts, read 43,102 times
Well I'm back Glad to hear your doing good caseyma24, I went to the Doc friday the 9th of april 12 weeks since I broke it was looking to be done with this whole thing ...Doc says it is not healing as fast as it should 6 more weeks...DAMMMMMM IT...............6 more weeks well what do I do know,,what your Doc say caseyma24?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness